THM Fibula - Need Advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Just bought a brand new set of the recently discontinued Fibula's and ran into some issues.

Can't get the lock-washer into the "unthreaded" section of the securing screw...

Even tried to see if I cold pass it through my C60 fork and yet again, the unthreaded section is too wide that it won't slip in...

Have tried reaching out to THM but wonder if any guys on this forum have encountered the same issue?

THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Hmmm...that's unusual. I've been using Fibulas on several bikes for 7 years without a single issue with fitment and function/performance. The washers won't slip through either front or rear caliper?

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Having issues with only the front caliper as the longer securing screw is only partially while the rear is fully threaded..it certainly seems that its not an issue with the washer as I tried both and neither fit. I even tried using the securing bolt to apply some pressure to the washer through the unthreaded bit but didn't budge.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Try another washer then, any shop should have one, albeit in steel.
Then contact THM (or 3T) to see if they can send a replacement ti one.

But if it were me I'd just get out a round file.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Take out washer. Drexel with sander and good to go

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

@UpFromOne, wish it were that simple.. I don't think its an issue with the washer but more of the fact that the diameter of the unthreaded portion of the fixing screw is too large that I can't even insert it into to fork.. I'll try to see if i can get the calipers into my old RXR because I don't want to forcefully jam this into my c60 fork.

@Mike, wish I had a sander.. so rather than having to make my own adjustments to a new, high end caliper, I'd rather take other measures that are a little bit less extreme.. :mrgreen:

RyanH

by RyanH

Do you have a caliper? If you can get the measurements I can take mine off and tell you what mine is.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

RyanH wrote:Do you have a caliper? If you can get the measurements I can take mine off and tell you what mine is.

Yeah, let me try to get a reply from THM first (already sent them an email) and see what they say.. I have the calipers in the box so its easy have them measured.. Just need to find a measuring tool, thats all.

kode54

by kode54

IIRC, i didn't have any star washers with mine.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

RussellS

by RussellS

Emery cloth will sand the fat unthreaded portion down very quickly. Then the lock washer will fit and it will go into the fork. Plumbers use emery cloth to sand copper pipe before soldering. Go to your local hardware store and buy some. Or get a piece of fine sandpaper. 220, 320, 400 grit. That will work too. Emery cloth is cloth backed so will last better for rough sanding metal. Sandpaper is of course paper backed. Less tough. Good for wood, not metal.

russianbear

by russianbear

jimaizumi wrote:Having issues with only the front caliper as the longer securing screw is only partially while the rear is fully threaded..it certainly seems that its not an issue with the washer as I tried both and neither fit. I even tried using the securing bolt to apply some pressure to the washer through the unthreaded bit but didn't budge.

Is there a lot of paint around the hole? Could be obstructing things.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

@Kode, maybe this will be a good opportunity for you to reach out to THM too...
http://www.thm-carbones.com/manuals_fibula_de.html?file=tl_files/content/download/manuals/en/THM%20Fibula_3_en_WEB.pdf

@RussellS, nah.. want to try avoiding making any "structural" changes to the calipers in order to avoid something that will have THM refusing an exchange if necessary.

Update: After a bit of head scratching, I tried to pass the securing screw through my old Time RXR, and VOILA, had fit like a glove.. which means it must be an compatibility issue with my C60.. As far as the washer, I was successfully able to get the washer in by greasing the inner ring followed by screwing in the securing bolt to add some pressure in forcing it in.. It popped right in so I guess there may have been some excess material lifted by the threading process.

Now, just a matter of getting this to fit inside the c60 fork.. I guess some grease and patience will do the trick..

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Does the threaded part at least fit into the hole on your C60 fork? If so, then I think I'd be inclined to share @Russianbear's thought about there just being some excess paint in the hole etc., making it a little tight. Sounds like it might be a combination of the brake bolt shaft being very slightly oversized (since the washer itself seemed tight) and when combined with a little extra paint in the hole makes the whole thing seems excessively tight.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

@Calnago, you night have a good point there.. the threaded section of the calipers fits into the fork with plenty of room to to spare.. but then again, the non-threaded portion of the caliper slipped into my RXR like a glove so the C60 must have used a lot of paint? There isn't any paint around the hole at the front end of the fork but that may not mean that there isn't any paint "inside" the hole..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

Calnago wrote:Does the threaded part at least fit into the hole on your C60 fork? If so, then I think I'd be inclined to share @Russianbear's thought about there just being some excess paint in the hole etc., making it a little tight. Sounds like it might be a combination of the brake bolt shaft being very slightly oversized (since the washer itself seemed tight) and when combined with a little extra paint in the hole makes the whole thing seems excessively tight.

From looking at Calnago previous C60 build I would have to yield on the side of what he says that excess paint is built up in the hole. Try a small file inside of the hole and see if paint comes off. I wouldn't think it would hurt anything as the bolt holds the brake to the fork. You just want to be able to get the caliper into the fork. I believe THM might also tell you the same, time will tell. God Speed.