Okay to stick a SRAM GXP crankset straight into a Shimano bottom bracket?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Missus has taken a fancy to eTap. Can I get her the matching cranks too if she has an Ultegra BB installed on her Canyon? Seems okay from Googling, but thought I'd check with you guys first (so much faith in myself) :P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

No go, GXP is 24/22 vs 24 for shimano..

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Shimano bearings are 24mm dia.
Sram are 24 DS, 22 NDS

You'll need either a reducer for 1 side, or if canyon are running BB86 now, a GXP version of that
Official cafe stop tester

Shrike

by Shrike

Couldn't find a reducer in the UK, though haven't searched that hard yet. If not, just buy a GXP BB86 bottom bracket and install that you're saying?

Always find BBs a bit confusing. Never actually installed one!

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Need a wavy spacer to make it work on the non-drive side. Image

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Kayrehn wrote:Need a wavy spacer to make it work on the non-drive side. Image

huh??

I was thinking more like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hope-Bike-Bottom-Bracket-GXP-Converter-/232021536259?hash=item36058fae03%3Ag%3AvjsAAOSwjVVVgeF6
Official cafe stop tester

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Ok I'm not a great source for bike building knowledge but that was what I hunted down on ebay when I tried to use sram gxp on my Madone BB90. Let's wait for other replies for confirmation! [emoji1]

Shrike

by Shrike

Threw in that eBay listing to basket. Looks dead simple. Any chance of it being a creaky mess? Will wait to see how this plays out first, want to know more about this wavy spacer!

Fiery

by Fiery

If it's a pressfit BB, you'll need a wavy washer on the drive side to put some side load on the bearings and keep them from walking out. If it's threaded then don't worry about it.

Shrike

by Shrike

Fiery wrote:If it's a pressfit BB, you'll need a wavy washer on the drive side to put some side load on the bearings and keep them from walking out. If it's threaded then don't worry about it.

Yeah it's definitely press fit BB86. So wavy washer and the eBay spacer and sorted?

Fiery

by Fiery

Yeah, that should be it. Make sure it's the right size washer for a 24 mm diameter axle, not something for the bigger 30 mm axles of BB30.

Shrike

by Shrike

Nice thanks! Going for a look :)

wingguy

by wingguy

Marin

by Marin

The GXP axle clamps onto the left side bearing, this is why you don't need a wavy washer - there's no side play. The image above doesn't show a GXP axle.

The converter will work for Hope BBs, but I don't know what the inside of youe PF BB86 looks like, and how wide it is. Both parameters need to be very close to the Hope specs for the adapter to work.

I know what I'm talking about, I'm running Red GXP cranks in Shimano BBs (BSA though) on 2 bikes, and it took some time and modding until I found a solution that worked reliably for me.

Your best bet is to get a SRAM BB.
Last edited by Marin on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks Marin, yes maybe just buying the GXP BB is the best option. Just I've been dodging installing bottom brackets generally. Had a creaky Bianchi last year and it put me off touching them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com