Sagan's new disc ride....

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Shrike
Posts: 1071
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:08 pm

by Shrike

Yeah dieting is hard. Just came off a 3 month diet and have gained 3 kilos since the week before Christmas. That's like a kilo a week!

Depressing too, because you think back to all the work that went into losing weight in the first place. x2 trainer sessions a day and crap like that. Calculating every calorie yet gaining weight once you hit a plateau as your body begins to rail against you so no matter what you do, the scales keep saying you're failing.

Makes it worse as the missus is naturally thin and is a bit air-headed. Even if I'm trying hard to diet strictly and am in a real mental battle, she'll bring me cake and shit. Like WTF. She doesn't learn either.

by Weenie


TheDarkInstall
Posts: 723
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:44 am

by TheDarkInstall

MoPho wrote:
peted76 wrote: There always seems to be someone who turns up a club bash on an old steel heavy clunker unoiled and grimy who'll still beat the young whippets :)



There is a older guy in the South Bay of Los Angeles that regularly beats the pants off really strong younger guys on big dollar road bikes on the local big climb that everyone challenges themselves on. He does this while riding a really heavy beat up old big box store mountain bike while wearing cutoff jeans, leather work boots, and no shirt. He is known as "shirtless Keith". Apparently he rides around 400 miles a week :shock:



Image


.


That is so wicked. Love seeing stuff like this.

TheDarkInstall
Posts: 723
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:44 am

by TheDarkInstall

superdx wrote:
thedonnydino wrote:Having said that, professional cyclists are in optimal shape and on strict diets. Marginal gains are important to them. Accordingly, I don't see GC contenders actively choosing to ride this bike up any mountain.


This is probably the most truth in any WW discussion. Try a strict diet for 3 weeks. You will be amazed at how much weight you lose and how much fitness you gain. Pro cyclists don't get cheat days. Every day is 100% game on including Sat+Sun.

At home, with no guidance or someone watching your activity, you are going to fall off the wagon and it's also very hard to stay motivated. Which is why diets are the hardest things to do by yourself.


Pro riders are not on the screaming edge of fitness every single day of the year. You can see the slight extra weight on them around this point in the year, which falls off as the season hots up, peaking during the tours they choose to focus on. I think it is possible for a mere mortal to follow their weight / fitness arc, especially using modern tools to plan the year of riding. Obviously you have to pretty much behave like you are a pro rider, and dedicate yourself entirely to the task in hand, but it is doable. Eating the right stuff year round and accepting a slight bit of weight gain over winter, is how to go with food, rather than eat the wrong stuff, and then having to go on a restrictive diet to drop the kgs, which hints at yo-yoing, and like you say are hard (impossible) to stick to.

Daniel1975
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:46 pm

by Daniel1975

Really funny to read there are people out there, that really defend this marketing-bullshit-on-wheels. But it's a shame they cannot have a good argument and start to insult people.
8.4kg is ridiculous, whatever aero advantages they claim. Next year a 9kg Vias with spoilers for more downforce on fast descents? ;-)

Shrike
Posts: 1071
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:08 pm

by Shrike

Is the Aeroad disc the lightest disc brake aero bike out at the moment then? 7.8KG for a medium..

MRM
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:15 pm

by MRM

Guess that depends on whether you consider the Pinarello Dogma F8 disc an aero bike and how aero the Cervelo S3 disc is in comparison to the Canyon. I think the Pinarello and the canyon are quite similar in terms of aero.

Daniel1975
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:46 pm

by Daniel1975

Image

Nefarious86
Moderator
Posts: 2051
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Contact:

by Nefarious86

Is that really a surprise?
Using Tapatalk

User avatar
kgt
Posts: 6717
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Athens, Greece

by kgt

Wait! Doesn't always aero trump weight? :roll: ?

User avatar
Dr.Dos
Posts: 897
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:00 pm

by Dr.Dos

Daniel1975 wrote:Really funny to read there are people out there, that really defend this marketing-bullshit-on-wheels. But it's a shame they cannot have a good argument and start to insult people.
8.4kg is ridiculous, whatever aero advantages they claim. Next year a 9kg Vias with spoilers for more downforce on fast descents? ;-)

Yes. But only Specialized manages to sell large numbers of $599 "PRO tuning-kits" on top to its lemmings, that revert the spoiler-kit.

User avatar
Calnago
Posts: 5318
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm

by Calnago

kgt wrote:Wait! Doesn't always aero trump weight? :roll: ?

No silly... on hilly days the additional weight of disc brakes is ok because you'll be so much faster going downhill... oh... wait... :)

Apologies in advance, but as much as I agree disc brakes have their places... the pro peloton is not one of them.

User avatar
LeDuke
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:39 am
Location: Front Range, CO

by LeDuke

Calnago wrote:
kgt wrote:Wait! Doesn't always aero trump weight? :roll: ?

No silly... on hilly days the additional weight of disc brakes is ok because you'll be so much faster going downhill... oh... wait... :)

Apologies in advance, but as much as I agree disc brakes have their places... the pro peloton is not one of them.

So, if they can ride 6.8kg disc brake bikes, that's somehow a disadvantage?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

thedonnydino
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:10 pm

by thedonnydino

Shrike wrote:Yeah dieting is hard. Just came off a 3 month diet and have gained 3 kilos since the week before Christmas. That's like a kilo a week!

Depressing too, because you think back to all the work that went into losing weight in the first place. x2 trainer sessions a day and crap like that. Calculating every calorie yet gaining weight once you hit a plateau as your body begins to rail against you so no matter what you do, the scales keep saying you're failing.

Makes it worse as the missus is naturally thin and is a bit air-headed. Even if I'm trying hard to diet strictly and am in a real mental battle, she'll bring me cake and shit. Like WTF. She doesn't learn either.


Welcome to my world. I have a slow metabolism brought on by a hypothyroid condition. At my peak I was 75 kilos but it was a very strict diet with absolutely no alcohol, soft drinks, etc. And only one "cheat meal".

HaroldC
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:21 am

by HaroldC

Calnago wrote:Apologies in advance, but as much as I agree disc brakes have their places... the pro peloton is not one of them.


http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tom ... vias-disc/

by Weenie


Daniel1975
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:46 pm

by Daniel1975

If they pay me the same salary as they do with Boonen, I would also ride a Venge for a few months.
It's very clear that spesh is really pushing everybody to the discs.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post