Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:38 am 

I'm looking for decent not too warm rain overshoes mainly for commuting. I like velotoze and on their way are amazing. The problem is that they require a lot of effort to put them on / store then and they are not durable especially for commuting.

I need something that works for 45 minutes (with taped ankle opening and vents), not too warm, preferably doesn't have zips and a bit more durable. Currently I'm looking at the castelli tempesta. Or maybe the assos winter booties (this might be too warm for me). Any other favorite on the forum?

Last edited by nemeseri on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:38 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:48 am 

For commuting in the rain I use Seal Skins. They are water tight and they even have a LED in the heel. Lifetime warranty, so if they fail, you can send it back to them. They do have a zipper though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:18 am 

Like he said; I've got some non-LED Seal Skins and they are great.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:42 pm 

for the Seal Skins, are you using the lightweight or the neoprene versions?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:48 pm 

with Road cleat? or MTB cleat?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:55 pm 

i've been using the Assos rain booties. the top of them seals off the rain pretty much and so does the outer skin. stretches nicely over larger winter boots...better than Rapha deep winter overshoes. been using the rain bootie whether or not its raining or not since it blocks out the wind very nicely.

- Independent Fabrication Ti FLW + Campy SR11 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:19 pm 

spookyload wrote:
For commuting in the rain I use Seal Skins. They are water tight and they even have a LED in the heel. Lifetime warranty, so if they fail, you can send it back to them. They do have a zipper though.

How come I've never heard about them? I really think I will give them a try! It's the neoprene you recommend, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:53 pm 

Mr.Gib wrote:
for the Seal Skins, are you using the lightweight or the neoprene versions?

The lightweight version for me. I have different covers I use if it is cold and wet. Doesn't look like they have the LED version any more, but these are the ones I use.
https://www.sealskinz.com/US/bike/lightweight-overshoe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:59 pm 

So they still have the HALO (LED) version it seems.
https://www.sealskinz.com/US/Lightweigh ... r_name=LED overshoe&filter_description=1&filter_sub_category=1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:44 pm 

I like the Pearl Izumi booties. They make a P.R.O Barrier Lite (approx $30) and a P.R.O Elite (approx $60) that both do a decent job of repelling water.

I used the Lites on my commuter with very small spd cleats. Zipping at the rear was a royal pain and pretty much served as my warm-up before the ride even began! The Lites stayed halfway installed on a certain set of dedicated riding-in-the-rain shoes, which improved my prep time.

After building a fendered winter bike with SPD-SL pedals requiring the larger cleat, I use the Elite bootie instead. Velcro, only, and super easy to attach. If you ride in rain anything above 55F for more than an hour, your feet may get too warm. Otherwise, these work great in the wet and/or cold temps down to 30F. I wear rainpants in the worst conditions; these fit snugly OVER the booties - which is really the only way to keep water from trickling down into your shoes.

Those Sealskins listed here look nice, but the ones with the LEDs are not water resistant. (Seems gimmicky to me, as well, as a strong blinky under the saddle raises the eye level for motorists and works fine.) I always like Assos' booties, but they are way too expensive. Shop around for best prices for your purchase, but I think you'll find the Pearls as the best value.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:40 pm 

I'm in search of ones too.

Cold is a non issue where I ride but being caught in some rain is still posible and riding with damp feet isn't nice.

Is there such a thing of light waterproof transpirable overshoes?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:46 pm 

I like Castelli in general (bibs, jackets, speedsuits), but am not a fan of their overshoes for daily use; expensive and wear out fairly quick in my experience. I find neoprene overshoes work well, but the ones I've used are very warm. My current pick is GribGrab; they do have a zipper but are fairly easy to put on, yet made of a strong material, extra protective layer on the sole. They come in black and hi-vis yellow.

edit: gribgrab.com, model is Raceaqua (I have no connection to this brand).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:47 am 

I tried too many to list here. If it doesn't work as advertised, it goes back where it came from. My favorite is Endura road overshoe www.endurasport.com/products/?ProductID ... code=E0015 and of course Velotoze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

:nospamhere:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:12 pm 

I think shoe covers help with keeping the cold out, but if you're out in heavy rain for more than an hour nothing keeps the rain from soaking the hell out of you. This was confirmed yet again recently when several of us got caught out and decided to continue with our plans to complete a ride. In the end we were all soaked to the core. Water will flow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:31 pm 

Yep, I think it's all about delaying the inevitable. Some stuff just delays it more than others.

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:31 pm