Good rain overshoes other than velotoze

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Agreed, and without a full front fender with a flap that goes down far enough to prevent any spray from the front wheel from touching your feet (yes, that is really low), you doh't stand a chance. Might as well have a little gremlin hooked onto your front fork with a firehose constantly pointed at your feet. So, in addition to whatever booties work best for you... do the flap... no more than 4cm max from the pavement...

Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Calnago wrote:Agreed, and without a full front fender with a flap that goes down far enough to prevent any spray from the front wheel from touching your feet (yes, that is really low), you doh't stand a chance. Might as well have a little gremlin hooked onto your front fork with a firehose constantly pointed at your feet. So, in addition to whatever booties work best for you... do the flap... no more than 4cm max from the pavement...

Thanks for the tip. I kinda know this already.. I'm gonna install my fenders this week (yes, with flaps), but I also wanted something that works better than my current overshoes.

mpulsiv wrote:I tried too many to list here. If it doesn't work as advertised, it goes back where it came from. My favorite is Endura road overshoe http://www.endurasport.com/products/?Pr ... code=E0015 and of course Velotoze.

Whoa. This looks good!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spookyload

by spookyload

Asteroid wrote:I like the Pearl Izumi booties. They make a P.R.O Barrier Lite (approx $30) and a P.R.O Elite (approx $60) that both do a decent job of repelling water.

I used the Lites on my commuter with very small spd cleats. Zipping at the rear was a royal pain and pretty much served as my warm-up before the ride even began! The Lites stayed halfway installed on a certain set of dedicated riding-in-the-rain shoes, which improved my prep time.

Those Sealskins listed here look nice, but the ones with the LEDs are not water resistant. (Seems gimmicky to me, as well, as a strong blinky under the saddle raises the eye level for motorists and works fine.)

I have the Pearl light booties, and they work well. I have to say you are pretty much dead wrong about the SealSkinz with LED. I rode them today in a constant rain for three hours. Feet were bone dry. Mine are a year old too. I commute in them, and any light you can get before sunrise doesn't hurt. Add to that the lights are moving, and moving light is much easier to see than constant light, thus, most tail lights have a flashing light mode. With these you have three moving/flashing lights in the dark. I am guessing you haven't actually used these, and are basing your opinion off of the few reviews online at REI. Pro tip, people who don't have an issue with products rarely take the time to write reviews. The few people who seem slighted by a product go to no end to slam a product. As you already pointed out, if you don't put leg warmers on over the top, or any of a multitude of non-water proof bad choices, your feet still get wet. I am guessing the negative review you read was an issue like that. I have hundreds of hours in the sealskinz and have never had wet feet.

Miller

by Miller

Kraaf wrote:My current pick is GribGrab; they do have a zipper but are fairly easy to put on, yet made of a strong material, extra protective layer on the sole. They come in black and hi-vis yellow.
edit: gribgrab.com, model is Raceaqua (I have no connection to this brand).

Yes, GripGrab Raceaqua are excellent. The material is slightly stretchy so you get a smooth, close fit but they are still not too difficult to put on (rear zip). They are waterproof and keep rain and dirt off but put them through the washing machine and they come up like new. They're surprisingly durable.

Got mine in white, these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gripgrab-raceaq ... 5360635181

Asteroid

by Asteroid

spookyload wrote:
Asteroid wrote:I like the Pearl Izumi booties. They make a P.R.O Barrier Lite (approx $30) and a P.R.O Elite (approx $60) that both do a decent job of repelling water.

I used the Lites on my commuter with very small spd cleats. Zipping at the rear was a royal pain and pretty much served as my warm-up before the ride even began! The Lites stayed halfway installed on a certain set of dedicated riding-in-the-rain shoes, which improved my prep time.

Those Sealskins listed here look nice, but the ones with the LEDs are not water resistant. (Seems gimmicky to me, as well, as a strong blinky under the saddle raises the eye level for motorists and works fine.)

I have the Pearl light booties, and they work well. I have to say you are pretty much dead wrong about the SealSkinz with LED. I rode them today in a constant rain for three hours. Feet were bone dry. Mine are a year old too. I commute in them, and any light you can get before sunrise doesn't hurt. Add to that the lights are moving, and moving light is much easier to see than constant light, thus, most tail lights have a flashing light mode. With these you have three moving/flashing lights in the dark. I am guessing you haven't actually used these, and are basing your opinion off of the few reviews online at REI. Pro tip, people who don't have an issue with products rarely take the time to write reviews. The few people who seem slighted by a product go to no end to slam a product. As you already pointed out, if you don't put leg warmers on over the top, or any of a multitude of non-water proof bad choices, your feet still get wet. I am guessing the negative review you read was an issue like that. I have hundreds of hours in the sealskinz and have never had wet feet.

Hey, Spooky. I based my opinion on the content on Sealskinz own website. They, themselves, did not claim their LED booties to be water-resistant. Then a bunch of negative reviews appear there, mostly concerning durability and sizing - both things good to know. It wouldn't hurt if you wrote something there to dispell those notions.
Oldbie

WonderSausage

by WonderSausage

Asteroid wrote:
spookyload wrote:
Asteroid wrote:I have the Pearl light booties, and they work well. I have to say you are pretty much dead wrong about the SealSkinz with LED. I rode them today in a constant rain for three hours. Feet were bone dry.

Hey, Spooky. I based my opinion on the content on Sealskinz own website. They, themselves, did not claim their LED booties to be water-resistant. Then a bunch of negative reviews appear there, mostly concerning durability and sizing - both things good to know. It wouldn't hurt if you wrote something there to dispell those notions.

Yeah I have to agree that "bone dry" feet after 3 hours in constant rain is hyperbole at best. Even my ultimate solution of Gore's Gore-Tex City Overshoes on top of Assos waterproof shoe covers doesn't last 3 hours. But I'm in Seattle so there's that.

uraqt

by uraqt

So my set up is not bone dry, as my feet sweat a little but I can get 4 hours easy ...

It's not the bootie I have both cheap water proof bellwether and the top of the line gore-tex ones and both work. The key is the seal at the top I have something like this cut to fit over the top of the bootie

https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving ... lsrc=aw.ds

I don't have a front fender as I ride a "fancy" carbon bike in the rain but I just started using using FENDOR BENDOR and it rocks!!! I was using the normal ass saver and it really didn't work right with my saddle and sadddle bag.

Now I just need to find the right glove set up : )

C

TonyM

by TonyM

Just found this alternative to Velotoze but no idea what brand/ product it is.

Any idea?

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Those look like velotoze turned inside out ...
Just ride ..

rossjm11

by rossjm11

Pricey, but my Rapha Pro Team Overshoes have served me very well! They also double as a good wind blocker.
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Just ordered a set of mud flaps from Rainy Day (as shown by Calnago) :D

flying

by flying

I do not do much rain riding but when it looks like it might I wear some cheap $19 Neo covers from Performance
http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10052_10551_1184767_-1_400094__400094.

They work great never leaked although I am soaked everywhere else if caught out

Zipper in back though...which is what I like as these are not super easy to slip on.
Which is probably why they seal so well

PS: if you buy these go up one size above what they recommend

20170503_093922.jpg

lewolive

by lewolive

I guess there are many good overshoes on the market but none have solved the problem of the water coming from the cleat. It's actually from there that the biggest quantities of water are projected and it's at this point that there is the weakest zone, a hole...
I think that the problem should be solved by shoe manufacturers rather than overshoe manufacturers. Products should remain breathable in all cases, because anyway, the technology of waterproof and breathable yarn/tissus exists.

dalex

by dalex

For commuting I much prefer rainproof boots instead of overshoes: quicker to put on/take off, and no problems water coming through the cleats. Currently I use the Lake MX 145, which also comes in a CX 145 road version. Combined with a proper front mudguard with flap I have found them fantastic: feet always dry, with the BOAs nothing quicker to put on/take off while keeping a good fit around the ankles, and not too warm on the warmer wet days. As others have said, the mudguard with flap is essential; the one time I used them in a summer rainstorm without that the spray kicked up by the front wheel filled them up with water which couldn't drain out...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

I am bumping this as it's 2+ years old, but I had roughly the same question, and was wondering if there were new products on the market.

Need an overshoe that excels at keeping water out -as much as it's possible for an overshoe- , for thermal insulation one can work with socks and/or layer up another random overshoe on top. I think Velotoze would be too fragile, I do not want to worry about ripping them every step I take or when I put them on.