Mavic Freehub Bodies

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Any chance of someone giving me a quick lesson?

I know there are steel freehub bodies for Shimano and Campag. But what are the others?

I see instant drive and I also see ITS-2 and ITS-4. And these seem to be aluminium.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Sorry I haven't done the research. All I can contribute is that the rear hub on my Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL is fantastic.

It is spec'd as follows:
Freewheel: Instant Drive 360
Front and rear bodies: aluminum
Axle material: aluminum
Sealed cartridge bearings
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Mr.Gib wrote:Sorry I haven't done the research. All I can contribute is that the rear hub on my Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL is fantastic.

It is spec'd as follows:

I've just got a pair of these. Don't you find the freehub noise is more of a buzz / drone compared to a normal ticking / clicking sound?
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

wingguy

by wingguy

ryanw wrote:
It is spec'd as follows:

I've just got a pair of these. Don't you find the freehub noise is more of a buzz / drone compared to a normal ticking / clicking sound?

Of course. The I-Drive 360 free hub system is a ring drive similar to a Chris King or DT 180 hub, these are characterised by a buzzing sound in motion instead of the classic ticking of a sprung pawl on a ratchet.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I like the simplicity of the FTS-L freehub bodies - the ones with the two pawls on their outside - as opposed to a ratchet ring in the hubshell arrangement that the higher end Mavic FHB's use.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

wingguy wrote:
ryanw wrote:
It is spec'd as follows:

Of course. The I-Drive 360 free hub system is a ring drive similar to a Chris King or DT 180 hub, these are characterised by a buzzing sound in motion instead of the classic ticking of a sprung pawl on a ratchet.

Thanks for clearing that up for me :thumbup:

Had my first ride on the wheels today, bloody lovely, very fast for a low profile rim.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

My sense is this new Pro Carbon line from Mavic is a winner. And I like the sound of the rear hub while coasting - a nice buzz.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com