Additional seat clamp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zazo

by zazo

Hey guys! I'm looking for additional clamp to hold onto a seatpost above the one on the frame.

The purpose of this would be to easily put seatpost back to the correct height after transporting bike inside a car. It seems that all clamps have the edge so they wouldnt slip off and/or are larger diameter. Is there anything like that on the market for a 27,2mm seatpost?

I know this is not a weightweenie's mindset, but i'm willing to sacrifice few grams to be sure of always having the same fit. :thanx:

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I use an el cheapo plastic light mount when using a bike box. The best part is they open wide so can be put on and removed with the seatpost installed.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Or even a reflector for seatpost will have the same plastic mount.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Fizik makes some 5gr light rubber rings exactly for this purpose.

caad4rep

by caad4rep

Electrical tape

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Rubber rings will move and the electrical tape can bunch up. The advantage of a clamp is you can push it against the lip of seat tube and tighten and when you reinstall height will be exactly right to the fraction of millimeter.

djwalker

by djwalker

Problem Solvers used to sell a double clamp (I have one). I found this online https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bicycle ... 2822fc93ae Titanium even. Or this in carbon https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Bicycle ... 3aeAnother thing I have used in the past is a worm drive hose clamp. That's not very attractive.

gtv18

by gtv18

Lightweenie wrote:Fizik makes some 5gr light rubber rings exactly for this purpose.

+1 for the Fizik rings, - my wife sometimes borrows my bike so we each have our own seatpost/saddle setup which we simply swap over.

NiFTY wrote:Rubber rings will move ....

I use the 27.2 version on a 31.6 seatpost. It is a very tight fit and does not move easily....
Last edited by gtv18 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick W.
Veni, Vidi, Velcro
(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Fiery

by Fiery

BBB makes just the thing: http://bbbparts.com/en/bike-parts/clamps/BSP-97

It uses a tiny 2.5 mm allen key bolt, but that's perfectly fine for the purpose. I've been using mine for more than a year now without any problems.

KC

by KC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zazo

by zazo

Fiery wrote:BBB makes just the thing: http://bbbparts.com/en/bike-parts/clamps/BSP-97

It uses a tiny 2.5 mm allen key bolt, but that's perfectly fine for the purpose. I've been using mine for more than a year now without any problems.
This BBB PostFix is exactly what I was looking for, rubber rings and electrical tape just didn't seem reliable enough. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Xico

by Xico

I'm using this SEATPOSTSTOPPER ALU BLACK 27.2MM from TRIVIO.

6g and works fine!

mergeforthekill

by mergeforthekill

caad4rep wrote:Electrical tape

This is the way to go. WW approved. Hell, you could cut the tape in half long ways to make it even less visible.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

+1 for tape. Plus you can look at it to tell if your post ever slips.

The problem with an extra clamp is that the top surface of the seat tube is not necessarily perpendicular to that tube's angle, and so in most cases only one point on a clamp would contact the true collar, or possibly the frame itself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fiery

by Fiery

Even if that happens, why is it a problem? Especially if the clamp is used primarily to securely mark the sale height and buy the provide additional support.