Proper way to place cable on 8spd levers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I bought this bike for my son and it came with Shimano Claris levers (8spd) with cable that connects from the side instead of under the bar. The shop cabled it rights side lever down to the right side of the down tube and the left side to the left side of the down tube. Shouldn't it be crossed right side to left down tube and left to right down tube to have less binding on the cable loop? Either way it looks like way to much cable (stock lengths probably) and the loops are bending extremely tight when you turn the bars. I am thinking of putting on aican bungarus cables like I did on my road bike to maybe help with the binding unless there are 8spd levers that run under the bar.....
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-espoir-24-2015

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Is the shifting ok or not ok? If it is ok then maybe you should save yourself some hassle and leave things as they are. Left cable to left side and right cable to right side is perfectly normal. Not the only way to do it but it works.

Putting fancy cables on this bike might be overkill. If you want to tidy the cables just use normal Shimano housing.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Aican bungarus for less binding? Lol

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Yes I was looking at it as you say and also contemplating adding nokon shift cable like the attached picture. But realized this maybe overkill for an 8spd system and best to invest in a group upgrade later.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guaine-e-cavi-cambio-bici-Nokon-cable-set-road-mountain-bike-derailleur-brake-/201618766690?var=&hash=item2ef16a3b62:m:m2YzVwhSxKzrfgs8dtAlTWg

Fiery

by Fiery

Those external cables are way more forgiving when it comes to setup; it took Shimano two tries to get it right when they decided to go under the bar tape. It's quite possible that they came too long from the factory though, but that should be simple enough to fix.

Miller

by Miller

kulivontot wrote:Aican bungarus for less binding? Lol

Not a fan?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I've had it installed for a number of years. It does not do tight bends very well, and is prone to crack the little plastic connecting pieces between links resulting in extra friction. Had to use regular housing for the rear brake exit and the rear derailleur loop.
One other user suggested using nokon inner housing underneath the alloy segments to see if it improves the durability. I'm going to give that a try and see how it goes.