Stages Power Meter on a "dumb" trainer - why no speed/distance data?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

I mean no offense, but why would you want speed and distance, when you have power and time? I know this is outside your question, but power (exept maybe HR) is the only relevant factor when doing effecient training. I assume you train to maintain or improve your form. And I assume, that you have a program with some kind of intervals or at least some kind of plan, when riding your hometrainer?

Otherwise just take one of your previous road trainingsessions, and ride the same powerprofile.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
sungod wrote:if you're indoors bear in mind that "speed" and "distance" are wrong anyway, without air resistance the correlation to power is different

This makes no sense...

it makes absolute sense

the correlation to power is different, this is a fact

if you are doing '40kmph' on a turbo you have no air resistance, the amount of power used depends solely on the turbo

unless the turbo's power curve exactly matches that of the riders aerodynamic drag, the 'speed' reading will not be the same that would be given were the same power expended on the road

sungod

by sungod

moonoi wrote:
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
sungod wrote:if you're indoors bear in mind that "speed" and "distance" are wrong anyway, without air resistance the correlation to power is different

This makes no sense...

Indeed, the wheel spins and covers the same amount of "distance" for each rotation, regardless of wind resistance. The power meter is measuring power directly, so doesn't care what the wheel is doing, it's completely irrelevant.

If you were using a Powerpod, then that statement might make sense

again, what i wrote makes perfect sense

"regardless of wind resistance", this is exactly my point, the 'speed' is a nonsense measurement

a rider on a turbo is not traveling at the 'speed', it bears no relation to what they would achieve at the same power on the road