All times are UTC+01:00

Di2 9150 vs Red eTap
Poll ended at Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:49 am
Di2 9150 with a Dura Ace Pioneer Power Meter 47%  47%  [ 22 ]
Red eTap with Sram Red Quark Power Meter 53%  53%  [ 25 ]
Total votes: 47
 Post subject: Re: Di2 9150 vs Red eTap
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:38 am 

TonyM, it's all in your head. I was worried about the same sort of crap too when switching from Shimano to eTap.

It's the other way around. Shifting is wickedly easier and simpler under stressful situations with eTap. You can shift both at the same time.

Eg.

Hold Left and Right shifter
Release Left shifter while still holding right.

You've just shifted the front ring and are now working your way down the cassette at the back until you're where you want.

Sort of thing that sounds technical when explaining it, but it's child splay when using it.

I don't really do that anyway. I just tap left and right, then tap tap the right or left again as fast as I want. Feels cooler that way, like a Porsche's paddles. Just addicted to those clicks :D

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:52 am 

Shrike wrote:
TonyM, it's all in your head. I was worried about the same sort of crap too when switching from Shimano to eTap.

It's the other way around. Shifting is wickedly easier and simpler under stressful situations with eTap. You can shift both at the same time.

Eg.

Hold Left and Right shifter
Release Left shifter while still holding right.

You've just shifted the front ring and are now working your way down the cassette at the back until you're where you want.

Sort of thing that sounds technical when explaining it, but it's child splay when using it.

I don't really do the anyway. I just tap left and right, then tap tap the right or left again as fast as I want. Feels cooler that way, like a Porsche's paddles. Just addicted to those clicks :D

Ok now I get it! :thumbup: And after you have used it a while it becomes then automatic.

But as my other bikes are mechanical I suppose that I will sometimes just get "confused" when using the eTap :x
If you have only one system on all your bikes, then eTap seems to be very good but if you have different systems in use you may be confused especially in stressful situation. And that's actually the opposite of the goals of having an electronic shifting :?

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:52 am 
  • SRAM Red eTap electronic upgrade kit Road normal
  • 1295.9 EUR
  • IN STOCK
  • Price includes 19% V.A.T. which will be deducted when goods are leaving the EU. Shipping costs may be added.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:37 am 

I use 105 manual on my crappy bike and eTap on the weapon! You're right, there can be an adjustment period if haven't used one or the other for a while. But! Adjustment is in the seconds mark, quite amazing actually. Really, trust yourself :D I know what you're thinking though, I was exactly the same :P

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:47 am 

Shrike wrote:
I use 105 manual on my crappy bike and eTap on the weapon! You're right, there can be an adjustment period if haven't used one or the other for a while. But! Adjustment is in the seconds mark, quite amazing actually. Really, trust yourself :D I know what you're thinking though, I was exactly the same :P

How often do you ride the 105 manual and how often the eTap?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:11 am 

TonyM wrote:
Shrike wrote:

How often do you ride the 105 manual and how often the eTap?

About 50/50 at the moment. 105 on indoor trainer at the moment which I use for a couple of sessions, then the eTap at the weekend a couple of rides.

Not always like that though, the % can vary a lot. Couple months ago was almost always on the 105 and would be doing like 1 ride a fortnight on the eTap bike.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:01 pm 

TonyM wrote:
I also have to decide on DA Di2 or SRAM eTap for my next bike :? However I will go with disc brakes as it should be a rain/ winter bike :thumbup:

After looking at some videos on the shifting of the eTap, the shifting on the SRAM eTap is quite strange to me as I would have to press left and right at the same time to get the front derailleur working. Is this really so?

If I come with i.e. 52/15 and have then to climb very abruptly and change to i.e. 36/19 then I have to press left and right for the front derailleur and then also the right for the rear derailleur....somehow not that easy or do I make a mistake here???

If not, then I do prefer the Di2 system with the manual, half synchro shift or full synchro shift.

Etap is intuitive once you ride it.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:46 pm 

I had Sram Red on my SuperSix and SuperRecord on my Dogma: never made any shifting mistake after the first 10minutes. You know what shifter you have in your hands once you get on the bike.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:34 am 

Daniel1975 wrote:
I had Sram Red on my SuperSix and SuperRecord on my Dogma: never made any shifting mistake after the first 10minutes. You know what shifter you have in your hands once you get on the bike.

Super Record mech. or EPS?

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:43 am 

Mech.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:55 am 

I've had time on both. I genuinely think the Di2 has a better shift through the cassette, to me it just feels more engaged faster than the etap. I mean they're both amazing, I just like the mechanical feel of the shift of the Shimano. Not to mention the etube tool and the personalization possible with di2. I gotta say, etap just looks cool. And that counts for something, right?!

Can't comment on the Shimano power meter though. Pioneers have been a travesty to deal with and the finish quality is horrible. Quarq, especially this newer generation is so good, really can't be beat for the price and quality.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:14 pm 

Any updated experiences between these two? I need to decide between the 9150 Di2 with Quarq D4 and the eTap with Red Quarq for my new race bike. It is not clear to me what the real weight differences are between these 2 groups with the Quarqs? Pricing to me is barely more for the shimano so that's not really a factor in this decision.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:26 pm 

Only thing I could update with since adding my opinion earlier in the year is that my derailleur hanger broke while gunning it down a hill last summer (thread here about it a while back). The eTap RD was bouncing along the road violently dragged along by the chain. Pushing close to 50mph at the time.

Lucky it didn't catch in the spokes and kill me, and luckier still than the eTap RD worked perfectly. Only has a couple of minor scratches on it!

I'm pretty much a convert after that. Was treating it like a newborn puppy for a while, but clearly the thing is tough as nails.

Only way Shimano could get my coin again would be if they catch up and do wireless too. I can live with either shifting action though have slight preference for SRAM as it's simpler and feels like I'm on an F1 car :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:35 pm 

the sram fan boys don't mention the hit/miss on etap front derailleur. pita to setup and still brake rub on the extremes. sram's official position the chainstays need to be 115mm to work. really. both campy/shimano front derailleur micro adjust. sram no. they lose

2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:32 pm 

9150 is around a few dozen grams lighter than eTap IIRC from my personal weights for just the shift components and wires. I've had a few eTap sets and wouldn't buy again after having been on Di2. FD has issues which I've detailed in the eTap thread and the RD seems to eventually get maladjusted on its own requiring it to be retrimmed. Not a big deal but annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:54 pm 

spartan wrote:
the sram fan boys don't mention the hit/miss on etap front derailleur. pita to setup and still brake rub on the extremes. sram's official position the chainstays need to be 115mm to work. really. both campy/shimano front derailleur micro adjust. sram no. they lose

you are taking a few reported issues with etap and representing these as general issues, which is nonsensical

you make no mention of the problems faced by the people who have software, battery, cabling, and other issues with di2, that's clearly not a general issue for di2, but why don't you care about these issues?

i have no problem with etap, nor do i need to whine about di2, they are both reasonable systems, neither is perfect

your post makes it clear who is the "fan boy"

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:54 pm 
  • SRAM Red eTap electronic upgrade kit Road normal
  • 1295.9 EUR
  • IN STOCK
  • Price includes 19% V.A.T. which will be deducted when goods are leaving the EU. Shipping costs may be added.