Di2 9150 vs Red eTap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Di2 9150 vs Red eTap

Poll ended at Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:49 am

Di2 9150 with a Dura Ace Pioneer Power Meter
47%
Red eTap with Sram Red Quark Power Meter
53%

Total votes: 47

Wormiez

by Wormiez

Looking for some WW advice on which group-set to go with.

Group-set will be built on a new Time Skylon frame running on Bora-One 50 Tubulars.

I have two options to go with Di2 9150 or Red eTap both with power meters.
-Di2 9150 with a Dura Ace Pioneer Power Meter
-Red eTap with Sram Red Quark Power Meter

Can't really compare apple to apples as their aren't any reviews yet on the Di2 9150.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

I have Di2 6800 and eTap. I prefer the eTap even though the shifting seems marginally slower.... but just barely. I've *never* run out of battery on either and the eTap is a breeze to install.

Both my Di2 and eTap bikes have SRAM Quarq power meters. One is "Red" version and the other one is "Dzero".

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Well, if you're running Bora's..then Shimano would be at the bottom of the pile in terms of groupo priority.. Etap is nice...Slightly finicky to set up but very smooth once up and running. If it wasn't for the wheels, I'd probably be stuck btw the two options... I'm only leaning towards the Etap because as a long time user of Shimano, I recently made the plunge to go fully wireless and haven't looked back since.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

zappafile123

by zappafile123

I think the campag/SRAM combo is more distasteful than shim/cam and that shimano is far and away the pinacle of engineering, so my vote is for 9170. But then I'm really biased against SRAM for whatever reason. Personally I'd either build the Skylon with SR (not EPS cause it sucks) or ditch the Bora's (cause they arent amazing anyway). Hope that red herring helps :D

Also... ease of installation shouldnt really factor into your consideration because whats actually important is how it fits, feels and performs on your bike. I'm sure that with the tactile improvements seen on 9170, its the rational choice from a functional perspective.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Seedster

by Seedster

Record EPS with SRM Powermeter would go well with the Boras!

Otherwise, I would opt for the new Shimano electronic.

moonoi

by moonoi

I'd go with eTap, I have it with the SRAM Red Quarq and Campy Shamal Mille on a C60. I also have UDi2 on my M9, and still prefer the eTap over Di2. It has much better feedback when shifting with a nice tactile feedback, Di2 is mushy feeling and not precise (I'm referring to the feeling when pressing the button), sometimes I'm unsure if I really pressed the shift button or not. I don't expect much improvement with the latest version either.

I also find the DA Di2 is overpriced at least in my locality, plus I hate the look of the new DA crank and rear derailleur

Wormiez

by Wormiez

Thanks for the comments so far!

I thought WW are a fan of Boras :wink:

Based on pricing, I was somewhat leaning toward eTap but my LBS finally received pricing on Di2 9150 and the pricing is fairly competitive to eTap....

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Wormiez wrote:I thought WW are a fan of Boras :wink:

Another thing worth baring in mind is that there have been warranty issues with the eTap FD. Perhaps it was only in the initial bathes, but there was a wave of FD's that just stopped working. Or so I heard.

Bora's are good, they are not amazing.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

moonoi

by moonoi

zappafile123 wrote:

Another thing worth baring in mind is that there have been warranty issues with the eTap FD. Perhaps it was only in the initial bathes, but there was a wave of FD's that just stopped working. Or so I heard.

First time I've heard of that issue, mines been fine since I got it in April last year, not aware of anyone else having issues locally either.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

zappafile123 wrote:

Where did you hear this from? We did quite a few etap builds, and were one of the first B+M shops to get a small allotment of the first batch of etap. Not one front derailleur issue. Had one rear derailleur stop working, but that was it as far as warranty type comebacks. Have not heard anything about front derailleurs though. Not from Sram rep.....not from anybody.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

track01

by track01

Coming from Di2 I recommend eTap these days.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would probably be better of using Shimano. But that pends on if i get any issues.
There is no service center or any dealer locally which could help out with potential Etap issues here.
For sake of curiousity i would go for Etap. But again, what happens if any issues arrise?
Lately i have been having some issues (actually, this is the second time my Di2 make my bike unusable), that is what has made me re-think this quite a bit.
If Etap ever runs into an electrical issue, it must be easier finding the problem since all units rely on their own batteries.
With Di2, it is more difficult. You'd need to pin down which unit is faulty.
Also just recently read that Sram have shorter reach on their shifters (handlebar to hoods) than Shimano.
Might be something that suits some better and some worse!?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

sungod

by sungod

wheelbuilder wrote:
zappafile123 wrote:Or so I heard.

Where did you hear this from? ...

i'm betting the interweb

once something is stated, it takes on a life of it's own

Zitter

by Zitter

@moonoi

Button feedback is improved and much more tactile

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

I also have to decide on DA Di2 or SRAM eTap for my next bike :? However I will go with disc brakes as it should be a rain/ winter bike :thumbup:

After looking at some videos on the shifting of the eTap, the shifting on the SRAM eTap is quite strange to me as I would have to press left and right at the same time to get the front derailleur working. Is this really so?

If I come with i.e. 52/15 and have then to climb very abruptly and change to i.e. 36/19 then I have to press left and right for the front derailleur and then also the right for the rear derailleur....somehow not that easy or do I make a mistake here???

If not, then I do prefer the Di2 system with the manual, half synchro shift or full synchro shift.