Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Zipp 454 NSW reviews
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:40 pm
Posts: 588
Beaver wrote:
In addition to the 25mm tires they should have tested the recommended tire size. The CLX 64 suffer a lot with wide tires


thumper88 wrote:
This part is the only thing he's right about -- and it's one huge reason the test is nearly useless. That "25m but really sometimes 29mm" tire stalled out a lot of wheels and at really shallow angles....and it probably had a really bad shape in addition to a bad size for stalling wheels.


But the roval clx is probably the widest wheel in the test (21/29.9) and it was second worst at 5deg. They designed it to be this wide especially to accommodate wider tires and minimize the aero hit.

Also I call BS on 35W difference between the roval and enve at 5deg yaw. Just think about it, even at 30 mph, that's crazy.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Zipp 454 NSW reviews
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:45 am
Posts: 583
nemeseri wrote:
Also I call BS on 35W difference between the roval and enve at 5deg yaw. Just think about it, even at 30 mph, that's crazy.


You're not the only one!

_________________
5 star and bespoke cycle tours in Majorca

Cycling related videos and reviews


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Zipp 454 NSW reviews
Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:53 pm 


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: Zipp 454 NSW reviews
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:09 pm
Posts: 820
cyclespeed wrote:
nemeseri wrote:
Also I call BS on 35W difference between the roval and enve at 5deg yaw. Just think about it, even at 30 mph, that's crazy.


You're not the only one!


Some time ago GCN did a test : "stock" alloy wheels vs Zipp 808 @ ~ 41 km/h. Power needed went from ~380w to ~345w, so about 35w gain, so, no way there is 35w diff between the Rovals and the Enve's in real world circimstances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUdC3mrHcc8

_________________
Current bikes:
Scott Addict Premium Disc 2018
Scott Addict Orica Greenedge 2015

Retired:
Canyon Endurace CF SLX 2016
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 2013


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Zipp 454 NSW reviews
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:13 am
Posts: 94
The bike radar review has some seriously questionable data in it. If I saw that data in my professional capacity I would dismiss it - the explanations they give about "aerofoils" stalling makes me cringe!

The vast majority of drag reduction comes from how deep the section is. The use of a "toroidal" profile is not going to make much difference in comparison to the section depth. There are also marginal gains to be had from the spokes but it is only small when the wheels are deep.

I have tried to explain in this video the aerodynamics behind wheels as opposed to picking an outright winner. It's long but quite in depth

https://youtu.be/BUih_emc54M

_________________
Hambini
The science behind Aero Road wheels!!
Ceramic v Steel Bearings: The Truth
Visit the Hambini Website


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Zipp 454 NSW reviews
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:27 pm
Posts: 143
nemeseri wrote:
Beaver wrote:
In addition to the 25mm tires they should have tested the recommended tire size. The CLX 64 suffer a lot with wide tires


thumper88 wrote:
This part is the only thing he's right about -- and it's one huge reason the test is nearly useless. That "25m but really sometimes 29mm" tire stalled out a lot of wheels and at really shallow angles....and it probably had a really bad shape in addition to a bad size for stalling wheels.


But the roval clx is probably the widest wheel in the test (21/29.9) and it was second worst at 5deg. They designed it to be this wide especially to accommodate wider tires and minimize the aero hit.

Also I call BS on 35W difference between the roval and enve at 5deg yaw. Just think about it, even at 30 mph, that's crazy.



Specialized most definitely did not design the wheel for extra wide tires. For aerodynamics, the shape of it wants 23mm or so, with a decent profile. Look at the tunnel data from blather about bikes... the s-works 22mm works the best, the 24mm next best.
It's widest well back from the tire, unlike the slab-sided designs of say zipp and HED. You want the wind to flow around the leeward side and stay attached... in this case you want to try to keep that section shape looking like an aircraft wing rather than the body of a wasp.... smaller tire will do that, 25mm and up creates a hollow right behind tire on leeward side and the wheel stalls out. And the effect is magnified the further the apparent wind direction shifts from zero degrees.
Same thing happens when you go too large on a Zipp but likely the U-shape is at least somewhat less susceptible to that effect, up to a certain point in tire size.
This likely explains this BS results in this test.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Zipp 454 NSW reviews
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm
Posts: 1001
Moral of the story - forget Zipp! Keep thousands of dollars in your pocket and use pocket change for modern ~ 30mm aluminum wheels www.novemberbicycles.com/blog/2017/2/9/ ... lloys.html

_________________
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

:nospamhere:


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Zipp 454 NSW reviews
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:08 pm
Posts: 971
Best part of that article above is the comment saying that '10mph wind is serious'.

I want to move to wherever that guy lives :lol:

So these HED 6/9s according to Bikeradar are the business then if you want a fast wheel and are priced out of ENVEs. Interesting. Just a shame about that ugly ass alloy rim. Aesthetics are important of course, but if you're purely looking for a fast beater wheel then it's hard to argue against the HEDs.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Zipp 454 NSW reviews
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:45 am
Posts: 583
Shrike wrote:
Best part of that article above is the comment saying that '10mph wind is serious'.

I want to move to wherever that guy lives :lol:

So these HED 6/9s according to Bikeradar are the business then if you want a fast wheel and are priced out of ENVEs. Interesting. Just a shame about that ugly ass alloy rim. Aesthetics are important of course, but if you're purely looking for a fast beater wheel then it's hard to argue against the HEDs.


Given their total lack of credibility in these kind of tests, I wouldn't make any decisions based on them if I were you.

I remember they did one on aero helmets a while back and rubbished anything Giro. Giro went apeshit and they had to issue a statement.

I mean the guy says Campagnolo wheels would be 'cannon-fodder' for Christ's sake, I stopped listening at that point.....

_________________
5 star and bespoke cycle tours in Majorca

Cycling related videos and reviews


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Space for a Wahoo mount with Zipp SL Sprint + Zipp SL 70 Aero setup?

in Road

Shrike

0

172

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:08 am

Shrike View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Carbonsports Lightweight RENNBÜGEL drop bar - any reviews?

in Road

Johnny Rad

1

737

Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:56 am

KCookie View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Saevid Alien Saddle...Reviews/Experience

in Road

Squashednuts

11

942

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:04 pm

bm0p700f View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Proper Negative Reviews For Boutique Parts

in Road

KWalker

9

1389

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:03 am

Ahillock View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Berk list reviews/opinions & round vs oval rails

in Road

Lightweenie

5

945

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:52 am

Lightweenie View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: coachboyd, Dowks, dvq, euan, Google [Bot], sooni, Ticlimax, TobinHatesYou, tyty, wiRIDEfast and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited