Colnago Super vs Colnago Master X-light

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Hello,

I am riding a modern build of a Colnago super circa '78-'79 in Sarroni red. I am a 1.92m tall 90 kilos, and a spinner (100-105 cadence) with good cardio since I dont really have mountains where I live since I am located by the sea. I completely love the bike. These days I have this urge to substitute the frame with a modern Colnago Master X-light ... in Saronni red. The Super is my second bike, after a carbon I had. Somehow it made me sell the carbon :P. It is a solid bike but besides getting this consumer urge I feel that when I press the pedals hard, when I ride with my friends, or I am off the bike trying to imitate Contador in grace ( :P ) ... the bike flexes a bit and energy is not transferred in the wheels, probably due to having Columbus SL tubing. I do not expect to have the power transfer the carbon bike had with its bb30 bottom bracket. Different material and different geometry.

Could someone explain me how much different is the late 70s Super to the modern steel Master, besides the difference the fork brings (Curved vs Precisa)?

Kupepe

by Kupepe

double post, pls delete

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MJB

by MJB

My experience :- I have a 1999 Master X Light with Precisa fork and a Casati Monza fitted with the older Colnago curved fork. The precisa fork is stiff and feeling/feedback is better - the curved fork absorbs considerably more road buzz [over the same roads] than the precisa but it flexes more to do that.

I have also owned and ridden Colnago C50 in sloping, EP in sloping and EP in traditional. All three of these frames are stiffer than my Master X Light [using the same wheels and tyres]

If you really feel you are bleeding power via a flexible frame then you should consider a 2nd hand Colnago C50, EP or even EPS as these feel like they have better power transfer than the Master X Light which I consider my 'armchair' ride.

c50jim

by c50jim

My understanding of Colnago history is that the Master replaced the Super as the top steel bike when steel was king. The current Master is, in my opinion, a curiosity or anachronism for those who still love steel. I've owned lots of Colnagos (Master, Tecnos, Dream, Bi Titan and all carbon models from C40 to EPS). I'm a bit shorter and lighter than you (1.85, 85) and ride 59 traditional. I'm now 66 (was 44 when I started riding Colnagos) and could ride pretty well any of those except the Bi Titan (too whippy) because I don't have much power left and don't stand up much. My inventory now is down to C40s and one Extreme Power. I sold off the other newer frames because I like the C40 best for its ride quality and I kept the EP for some reason. When I want to throw a bike in the car, it's the one I use because it's replaceable whereas NOS C40s are getting really rare.

At your size, I'd recommend the Extreme Power. It's highly underrated in my opinion but handles weight and power well. My younger son, who's marginally taller and about 10 kg heavier than me, rode my EP in the Pyrenees a couple of years ago and had no problems with it (although he took his Look last year because he prefers its geometry).

tommasini

by tommasini

I also had a Sarroni red Colnago Super with SL tubing......made in 1981. After riding a Guerciotti (sponsor frame) that I loved much but then broke I found the Colnago to be very, very "average" (mostly lacking BB stiffness) I didn't keep it long......For my next frame I tried a Tommasini based off local recommendations......in my size (58cm C-T) it had mostly SL tubing but with SP seat tube. Oh-my-gosh it invited me to push hard out of the saddle - very well thought out idea in my frame size.

Saying all that not to suggest you get a Tommasini (which are still very well done) but rather to consider that with time and evolution of steel......new thoughts and applications are generally an improvement!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

The Master has had its fair share of new ideas and "improvements" over it's life, they were putting carbon stays on them at one point. I don't know what steel they use now, but my 2012 is stiffer than my Cento Uno is. I'd love a Tomassini Tecno though, maybe in a couple of years.