Ridley Helium sizing help

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Post Reply
dwn2sk8
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:23 am
Location: Lancaster, PA USA

by dwn2sk8

Hi Weenies,
I am looking for some help from those of you who own/have owned a Ridley. I am in the market for a Helium, but am not sure if I should go with a size S or XS. I am 5'8" with a 32 inch inseam. My other bicycles include a Look 595 in size M and a BMC SLC01 Pro Machine in a size 53, both of which fit me well. From what I can tell by comparing the geometry, size S in the Helium should work but I've also read that Ridley's frame sizes don't always match the listed geometry numbers. If I can make a XS work, I can get a good deal on a Helium SL.
Any help would be appreciated. :beerchug:

-Rich

by Weenie


Mr.Gib
Posts: 3067
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Location: eh?

by Mr.Gib

The basic approach is to compare stack and reach numbers between the bikes and work from there. It will come down to decisions about amount of saddle setback, length of stem, and amount of spacers above the headset.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

dwn2sk8
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:23 am
Location: Lancaster, PA USA

by dwn2sk8

Mr.Gib wrote:The basic approach is to compare stack and reach numbers between the bikes and work from there. It will come down to decisions about amount of saddle setback, length of stem, and amount of spacers above the headset.

Thanks Mr. Gib. Stack and height on my 595 is 551mm and 384mm respectively. I am running a 100mm stem with a 10mm spacer.
Stack and reach on a small Helium is 545mm and 385mm respectively and on an XS it is 530 and 375.
Looks like the small would fit most like my 595, correct? Would the XS require too many spacers under the stem for a proper fit? I really don't want to go any more than 10mm worth of spacers.
Thanks again!

r_mutt
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:33 pm

by r_mutt

56 mm lower stack with give a slightly more aggressive reach (lower = more reach) on the S Helium. you may have to compensate by with a .5cm spacer or a 90mm stem.

reedplayer
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:10 am

by reedplayer

hi Rich,
my inseam is 33,5 inches, my height is 5´7" , i have long arms.
i am running a helium in "xs", with two 5mm-spacers and a 100mm-6°-stem, and a 40cm-3t-ergonova bar.
"s" would be slightly to big/long.
in your case, choice of size should depend on desired saddle/bar-height.
but if look in "m" and bmc in "53" fit well (both would be to big for me, i would choose look in "s" and bmc in "51" or "49"), helium in "s" should be the appropriate size.

here is a picture of my xs:

Image

regards,
Last edited by reedplayer on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dwn2sk8
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:23 am
Location: Lancaster, PA USA

by dwn2sk8

reedplayer wrote:hi Rich,
my inseam is 33,5 inches, my height is 5´7" , i have long arms.
i am running a helium in "xs", with two 5mm-spacers and a 100mm-6°-stem, and a 40cm-3t-ergonova bar.
"s" would be slightly to big/long.
in your case, choice of size should depend on desired saddle/bar-height.
but if look in "m" and bmc in "53" fit well (both would be to big for me, i would choose look in "s" and bmc in "51"), helium in "s" should be the appropriate size.

here is a picture of my xs:

Image

regards,

Thanks for your insight and picture of your great looking bike. Makes me even more anxious to get one. How do you like it? Is the the standard or SL version?
Last edited by dwn2sk8 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gewichtweenie
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:12 pm

by gewichtweenie

The helium is sold by merlin cycles (UK retailer) under their house brand as a full bike if you don't want to compromise on size

by Weenie


reedplayer
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:10 am

by reedplayer

dwn2sk8 wrote:Thanks for your insight and picture of your great looking bike. Makes me even more anxious to get one. How do you like it? Is the the standard or SL version?


thanks for the kind words!
it is the standard version, frame weight, incl. liner, cablestops, cable guides, hanger front/rear is 916 gr., fork, uncut with crown, weighs 332 gr. so your sl should be much lighter.
i only did few rides on it, purchased it only two weeks ago, and here is deepest winter at the moment. (hometrainer-time!)
but bike feels great so far, the build, as shown above, has nearly the same measurements as my focus izalco max-build in "s", which fits perfect.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post