Ceramicspeed BB with Clavicula

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

leej88

by leej88

I've decided to run the CERAMICSPEED BB386EVO (model: PF4630) bottom bracket cups with my Clavicula SE chainset.

According to the THM manual, I should be using 1 1mm spacer on the drive side.

I contacted THM with regards to this and they told me to use their spacers.

However, the guys at Ceramicspeed says otherwise and are telling me to use the dustcover/spacer that comes with their BB in conjunction with the THM spacer.

Who should I be listening to or should I just make sure that the chain line is kept at the 43.5mm standard instead?

Has anyone used Ceramicspeed bottom brackets with THM Clavicula SE cranks?

hambini

by hambini

The number of spacers and type is largely irrelevant. You just need to make sure your chainline is in the correct position. There is a fair bit of variation in frame tolerances so you may be +/-1mm on the bottom bracket shell before you even get started.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AUOC1OC6

by AUOC1OC6

I used the exact same combination of CeramicSpeed BB with Clavicula SE crankset. Agreed with Hambini, the number of spacers only determine the clearance you get between your small chainring and chainstay. I used 1.5mm (1mm +0.5mm) on the drive side to get 2-3 mm clearance between the teeth and the chainstay. There is no hard and fast rule, I did it by trial and error to get the clearance desired whilst making sure the shifting is smooth.
AUOC1OC6
--------------------
AX Lightness Vial Evo D http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=138599
Corima Puma
Giant MCR 2 (retired)
Trek Y Glide Deluxe MTB

leej88

by leej88

Thanks for the feedback! Got an e-mail from Ceramicspeed's tech team and they said the same.

Guess I'll adjust it until i get the right chain line!

KCookie

by KCookie

Hi guys,
I'm looking at getting the Bear Ceramic BB for my Clavicula crank and the store has asked me what size the axle diameter is. Am I correct thinking it's 30mm.
Cheers

leej88

by leej88

KCookie wrote:Hi guys,
I'm looking at getting the Bear Ceramic BB for my Clavicula crank and the store has asked me what size the axle diameter is. Am I correct thinking it's 30mm.
Cheers

It is 30mm at the Drive Side and tapered down slightly on the NDS (but the supplied sleeve will ensure that it's uniform 30mm throughout.)

KCookie

by KCookie

Awesome thanks for confirming. Finding hard to find ceramic BB for my Urgestalt. C-bear do just the bearings to go into the THM BB, and AITA have one who I've never heard of. I need PF41- BB86 compatable with a 30mm spindle, most are 24mm. Any help would be most appreciated.
Cheers

KCookie

by KCookie

Having a nightmare trying to find a compatible ceramic BB, had an email back from AITA ceramics asking what the measurement is between the two cranks arms. Is it 90mm. ??
The email said they have a BB86 EVO386 compatible for 30mm spindle with inner width 90mm, is this the same as yours lee88. ???
Many thanks

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

The spindle is 87mm.

leej88

by leej88

KCookie wrote:Having a nightmare trying to find a compatible ceramic BB, had an email back from AITA ceramics asking what the measurement is between the two cranks arms. Is it 90mm. ??
The email said they have a BB86 EVO386 compatible for 30mm spindle with inner width 90mm, is this the same as yours lee88. ???
Many thanks

Hello KCookie, the differences between BB86 and EVO386 are :

EVO386
Shell Diameter: 46mm
Shell Width: 86.5mm
Native Acceptable Crank Spindle Diameter: 30mm (aka BB30), 24mm Shimano, 24mm SRAM GXP, 25mm (campy UT/PT)

BB86
Shell Diameter: 41mm
Shell Width: 86.5mm or 91.5mm (MTB)
Native Crank Spindle Diameter: 24mm Shimano, 24mm SRAM GXP, 25mm (campy UT/PT)
Possible alternatives: 30mm Crank spindles (Will require a BB cup that has a 30mm internal bearing diameter)

THM Clavicula SE Crank Requirement:
Shell Width: 86.5mm
BB Cup Internal Diameter: 30mm

As such, what you will need is a BB86 compatible cup that has:
1. O.D: 41mm
2. I.D: 30mm
3. Pressfit

Which leads us to this: http://www.ceramicspeed.com/sport/product.aspx?catalog=24&category=BottomBrackets&product=712&sku=PF4130
CeramicSpeed PF4130. (41 = 41mm O.D. and 30 = 30mm I.D.)

Here's a standard BB chart for reference:

From the chart you can see that the BB86 was original designed for Shimano Cranks.

Additional info that might be of help:
Rotor's info on PF4130 BB cups

THM calls their PF4130 BB cups: Shimano Pressfit Bearings

I hope this clears up the confusion for you. :D
Last edited by leej88 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

KCookie

by KCookie

Hi Leej88.
Thank you so much for the detailed information. Really appreciated. I had worked out which Bearings to use but was having trouble finding a complete BB. Im getting a lot of creaking and was thinking of changing the whole lot.
I have seen this which i think will work. If not then ill change just the bearings. Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

leej88

by leej88

You're welcome!

You might also want to consider Ceramicspeed since they're cheaper on Starbike.

Image :thumbup:

KCookie

by KCookie

Awesome thanks, that will be better as no VAT either to OZ.
Also the THM Fibula brakes you've orderd are they the same finish as the older model we have. As on starbike they have a pic of the carbon weave and a UD finish, plus one with a black wheel and one red. I was going to order some to and use my others on my spare bike.
Thanks again.

leej88

by leej88

KCookie wrote:Awesome thanks, that will be better as no VAT either to OZ.
Also the THM Fibula brakes you've orderd are they the same finish as the older model we have. As on starbike they have a pic of the carbon weave and a UD finish, plus one with a black wheel and one red. I was going to order some to and use my others on my spare bike.
Thanks again.

To be honest I haven't got a clue. :noidea:

I prefer a glossy finish as it matches the bike better but I wouldn't mind a matt UD finish either. As for the cam/wheel thing on it, I'll love to have mine in black.

According to THM, the brakes should be ready by the end of April.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Yeah me neither. When you google them on the web there's finishes. Most have the red wheel. I'll contact Starbike for more information.
Please post pics of yours with weight once you get them.
Cheers