Rotor 3DF to SRAM Red chainset - difficulty level?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Considering switching out the Rotor 3DF chainset that came with an Ultegra S5 for a SRAM Red one I really like and is discounted at the moment:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-red-exogra ... 60736764uk

£259 seems decent. Maybe can get some cash for the Rotor one, it's only got 15 miles on it. Want to go eTap eventually so this would be a nice start.

This is the right chainset for SRAM eTap? wondering why it's cheap at Wiggle and pricey everywhere else. Hope it's not an old version or something..

Thoughts?

Shrike

by Shrike

Ah wait. That's some weird GXP version. I would need this BB30 version?

https://www.radialcycles.co.uk/sram-red ... AjN98P8HAQ\

Or are they the same but come with different adapters or so? :cry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Does your Cervelo have bbright?
AFAIK the 3DF is a long axle 30mm crank so its not really BB30, and is long enough to fit the spacers to the offset shell.
Not sure if a Sram gxp or bb30 crank spindle is long enough.

Rotors are fine cranks, and if you fancy a powermeter, just the spider is replaced.
Official cafe stop tester

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah it's BBright. Didn't know that about the power meter, which I have been pondering. SRAMs quark one seems out of my budget. So was thinking maybe SRAM Stages at some point on sale.

Going to have a looksie now at Rotor power meter options. To be honest, just love the look of the SRAM Red chainset, so not set in stone.

commendatore

by commendatore

Order up a power2max spider for what you have and pass on an "upgrade" to a sram crankset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

What about Rotor NoQ aero rings? They look sexy and should be compatible with power2max. Current stock rings just don't inspire me, but people say the Rotors don't shift well..

moonoi

by moonoi

Yes, that is the correct advice

srshaw

by srshaw

The GXP version should fit the S5, it has a longer spindle than the BB30 which defiantly won't fit.

I'd probably keep the Rotor though. I've been very happy with mine, and will eventually get the power2max power meter.

hambini

by hambini

The GXP version will fit BBright but you'll need a different bottom bracket or adaptor. From memory GXP is 24mm drive side and 21mm on the non drive side. The Rotor one you have in at the moment is a 30mm axle all the way through.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

Shrike

by Shrike

Notice you guys aren't recommending Rotors own power meter which I spotted today when searching, Take it that means the power2max is better?

moonoi

by moonoi

I use the Inpower, I like it a lot but the P2M is cheaper and can do dual sided power (although it isn't true dual side power measurement), the Inpower is like Stages/4iiii in that it only does left sided power. You could get 2Inpower but that is even more expensive and makes the P2M even better value.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com