ax Leaf Plus saddle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zico88

by zico88

Tricky part abt any saddle is that its so personal. And one can never quite figure out if its suitable unless ride for a long distance. Which means you have to take a leap of faith and buy it first.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thumper88

by thumper88

jrobart wrote:
thumper88 wrote:I will pile on and say that I have a Leaf plus exactly as shown in the phot (starbike purchase, props for the sponsor) and was extremely surprised to find that it was not just tolerable but plenty comfortable to the point where I don't notice it till maybe four hours in.
My other saddles are various fiziks with cutouts which all fit me really well, particarly the Aliante... and a specialized s-works Romin.
The leaf plus weighs out at 86 grams....

Thumper88:

I'm thinking about this saddle as well and currently have Spec Romin Pros on 3 bikes. What size Romin do you ride, and How would you compare the two?

I ride the 143 Romin... and 143 in other brands, too. I'm not going to claim some special, pro-like ability to tell nuances in things like ride etc. and as one of the last posters noted, saddle fit is really a personal thing. For me, I don't feel much difference between that and Romin. Yeah, if I think abut it I can feel there's not padding. But I don't think about it because it's just not something that intrudes on my thoughts, if that makes sense.. the difference is minor to me.
I will say that my philosophy when I bought it was, geez, that's a lot of money for a saddle that I think I'm pretty likely to hate... but my decision to go ahead with it was based on the fact that the company has a good rep and the resale wouldn't be a massive hit if I rode it once and didn't like it. It would be real money but not like throwing away the full cost of it.
Hope that helps...

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Tried Leaf plus couple rides but it was too harsh for me. It didn't flex almost at all and leather cover was extra thin. Feels just like pure carbon.

After that bought Berks saddle with 3mm pad and can't even compare these saddles. 3mm pad make alot for my butt and it flex alot more to make it comfy. And Berks was even few grams lighter and a lot cheaper with pad and full leather cover.

kgt

by kgt

The only reason I am asking about the AX saddle is because I can get it half the price. I would not consider it otherwise.

tomtom

by tomtom

Kumppa wrote:Tried Leaf plus couple rides but it was too harsh for me. It didn't flex almost at all and leather cover was extra thin. Feels just like pure carbon.

After that bought Berks saddle with 3mm pad and can't even compare these saddles. 3mm pad make alot for my butt and it flex alot more to make it comfy. And Berks was even few grams lighter and a lot cheaper with pad and full leather cover.

This was exactly the same for me: I found the leaf quite/too harsh and stiff. I have ridden Ax Sprint and Phoenix and they suited me more. Now I ride a Berk saddle on two bikes and it's great; lot's of flex and almost no saddle pains anymore :D !
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

RippedUp

by RippedUp

jimaizumi wrote:Have the leaf on my c60 right now and while I'm not hating it, I'm not loving it either.. sit bones get a bit sore after 70-80km's of riding..

Same here.. Was happier with my Toupe S-Works (which is also ~60g heavier)

kgt

by kgt

Seems like I am keeping my SLR...