Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 4:50 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:47 am 

I had them and Dura-Ace are pretty good in every department except one...they feel crap when clipped into imo. The float feels awful but the bearings are smooth and the pedals are super sturdy... ;)

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:47 am 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:23 am 

Wingnut wrote:
I had them and Dura-Ace are pretty good in every department except one...they feel crap when clipped into imo. The float feels awful but the bearings are smooth and the pedals are super sturdy... ;)

As much as I like the spd-sl pedals for all the reasons cited, the float with the yellow cleat has always annoyed me. In addition to the advertised 6 deg rotational float, there is also a significant amount of lateral float (where the cleat moves laterally in the pedal effectively changing your Q factor or stance width). Shimano have started to acknowledge it now in their product literature but it's is significantly more than the 2mm or so that they quote.

It can be tempered by cranking down on the pedal tension, but that also limits the movement of the cleat rotationally.

I have found the blue cleats to be a good solution with the pedal tension backed off completely. Enough rotational float for me and no lateral movement.

Otherwise, the spd-sl design is the best on the market. Completely reliable, the best bearings around and pedals and cleats last a good long time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:24 pm 
Administrator

Anyone with experience with these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-2-Pedal ... 1765409774

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:22 am 

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wingnut wrote:

As much as I like the spd-sl pedals for all the reasons cited, the float with the yellow cleat has always annoyed me. In addition to the advertised 6 deg rotational float, there is also a significant amount of lateral float (where the cleat moves laterally in the pedal effectively changing your Q factor or stance width). Shimano have started to acknowledge it now in their product literature but it's is significantly more than the 2mm or so that they quote.

It can be tempered by cranking down on the pedal tension, but that also limits the movement of the cleat rotationally.

I have found the blue cleats to be a good solution with the pedal tension backed off completely. Enough rotational float for me and no lateral movement.

Otherwise, the spd-sl design is the best on the market. Completely reliable, the best bearings around and pedals and cleats last a good long time.

Red cleats (fixed mode) all the way, fellas. I never liked the feel of floating cleats, so have always used fixed ones for the past 22 years. Both cleats and pedals last much longer, too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:28 am 

Asteroid wrote:

Red cleats (fixed mode) all the way, fellas. I never liked the feel of floating cleats, so have always used fixed ones for the past 22 years. Both cleats and pedals last much longer, too.

Red cleats would be ideal, but some of us have mechanics that require a little float. I am envious.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:33 am 

I've been using DA9100 pedals for a month now with blue cleats and they are by far the best compared to Look carbon ti keo and speed play. Butter smooth bearings, adjustable release, and wide cleats.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:14 pm 
Administrator

What cleat comes standard with the pedals?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:12 pm 

Juanmoretime wrote:
What cleat comes standard with the pedals?

Ultegra, 105, PD-R550, PD-R540 - Yellow one
Dura Ace - Blue one

Code:
SH10 Red
Fixed position with no float for complete efficiency and rigid form

SH12 Blue
2° of float for a balance of comfort and efficiency

SH11 Yellow
6° of float for comfort, ideal for riders whose feet move naturally during their pedal stroke

edit: my Ultegra pedals came with Yellow cleats. I thought its for all series..

Last edited by madik on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:17 pm 

Last few boxes of Shimano dura ace pedals that I've opened up, pretty much ever since the blue cleats were released, have all initially had the blue cleats supplied with them.

Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:26 pm 

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Asteroid wrote:

Red cleats would be ideal, but some of us have mechanics that require a little float. I am envious.

My brother held that same belief for many years, until he made the switch to fixed a few years ago. With no ill effects, whatsoever. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:05 pm 

One does wonder how much a case it was the onset of floated pedals fixing a problem that really never existed similar to disc-braked road-bikes. I stared off with straps (fixed) moving on to Time etc etc including S-play. My knee started going in-out in the pedaling motion, so I thought 'right I'll fix this by trying fixed cleats'. Now I'm on SPD-SL pedals red cleats and couldn't be happier.

2 pairs of Dura Ace pedals both came with blue cleats, and I haven't even tried them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:12 pm 

I use blue cleats on DA pedals (9000, now 9100).

Tried red last year, but just couldn't get on with them, so went back to blue.

Cycling related videos and reviews

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:45 pm 

I love the red myself, so long as they're dialed perfectly. To me, they don't even feel like they're fixed with no float. I generally just trace the outline of the old cleat with a white bistro marker when changing to ensure I get it in exactly the right spot. Word of warning if switching between cleats... Give yourself a few practice clip ins clip outs if switching between the different colors. A couple of cleat changes ago I thought I'd try the blues. Set them all up perfectly, no test ride, friend rode over and I just jumped on the bike and off we went. First stop light, boom, I went down when I didn't clip out right away. No damage except to the ego, but very embarrassing. Simply didn't even think about any real different feeling when unclipping. Lesson learned, and my friend had a good laugh. I did have booties on, so I suppose it could have been a bit of bootie underneath the cleat that caused the issue, but when I eventually switched back to the reds I did realize a quick adjustment period was still necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:54 pm 

The blue cleats do have a different sensation when unclipping than the reds and yellows do. With the blues you almost have to pull up on them after swinging your heel out.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:54 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:34 pm 

Now ya tell me... lol.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next