Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:44 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:41 pm 

I have both Time and Look on my bikes. I like them both but have a slight leaning towards Time. I have yet to have any issues with the Time pedals.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:43 pm 

Juanmoretime wrote:
I've been on the Look Keo Carbon Blade Ti pedals for a few months. I like them but Time Xpresso 12's are definitely easier to get into the pedal. Maybe I just need more time on the pedals since I rode the Times for almost 5 years.

FYI. My Looks do not creak.

It's coming, don't worry :)

I've used Keos almost exclusively in the time I've ridden - save a few month experiment on Speedplays. I've developed a bit of a click in my carbon/ti blade that I believe is between the spindle and pedal body so I'm finally starting to ponder something else.

As much as I've fallen in love with Shimano functionality - I want something lighter than the 9000 pedals!

Retired:
Project C6.0 | Felt AR FRD | Colnago C59 NERO | 2014 S-Works Tarmac | S-Works Venge | Wilier Cento Uno SL | Tarmac SL2

Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:43 pm 

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:48 pm 

Imaking20 wrote:
Juanmoretime wrote:

As much as I've fallen in love with Shimano functionality - I want something lighter than the 9000 pedals!

Well the 9100 dura ace pedals are 20 grams lighter than the 9000 variants....

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:44 pm 

:thumbup: 20g is a good sway towards the new DA pedals.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:37 pm 

Agreed. Dammit.

Retired:
Project C6.0 | Felt AR FRD | Colnago C59 NERO | 2014 S-Works Tarmac | S-Works Venge | Wilier Cento Uno SL | Tarmac SL2

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:24 pm 

That is being wise!
I can't think of any other item that has a winner head & shoulders above the rest.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:44 pm 

Pedals arrived :) Ill post my experience after few weeks

EDIT: First ride 15 km (near hill just to test them..) While Keo Max Carbon does not have noises or something, seem that this new pedals are very noisy

I tried them with old cleats (grip version). I'll try tommorow probably with the new cleats (regular version), but i get ready that will be like this :)

Will see, how long i'll ride them until i order Shimano Durace :)

Last edited by 3Pio on Thu May 18, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:28 pm 

What are good SPD compatible pedals that have a platform style as opposed to the "egg beater" types?

I'm running Shimano PD-A600's at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:02 am 

I switched to regular cleats (that came with the pedals), and allready have about 300 km on them. After i switched to the new cleats, no cracking noise, very silent. Very slippery for walking first few hours, but after few steps they are ok now. Still trying to use Cleat Covers for that Purpose to save cleats.

I opted for 12nm version of pedals, and for me very nice feeling. Just right. Also i have a feeling like im more efficient in pedaling, and dont know how to explain this. Its happened because i have better cleat position maybe, because of lower stack and wider pedaling surface or just look like better pedaling efficency.

If something happened to this first overal positive experience i'll let u know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:06 am 

Until now (im using them since 18th of May), i have 1165 km (a lot of climbs in this) with my Look Keo Blade Ti and using them with regular Look Cleats (not grip version). For now no play in the bearings, very smooth and no creaking noise or something while riding. Also i like them more and more as feeling and whole action of clip/unclip.

Will post again in 1000-2000 km. For now, they are much better pedals then my old Time Xpresso 10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:01 pm 

For now 2812 KM on Look Keo Blade 2 Ti pedals.. In last month i had a lot of climbing (this month i climbed 17000 meters), and have hard pushing km's. For now no any kind of problems.. No squeaks (the trick seem to be to use regular one cleats, not with rubber inserts), still spindle smooth and like new and no problems at all . The only thing is that they are scratched but thats normal.

Also i can see the cleats last much much longer then Time's.

So for now no regret.. Next update will be on 5000 km

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:06 pm 

I figure I'd post here rather than starting a new thread since I'm also considering switching from LOOK to Shimano.

I'm on circa 2003 Look PP-396, so no matter what I'll save weight on my new build with either Keo Blade or Keo Max or Shimano 9000 or 9100. What I do like about my old pedals is the sk- binding-like feel one gets when clicking in. There's no question: when you're in you're IN. I use red cleats which have 9 degrees of float. A lot has happened since 2003 though and I don't know if the new LOOKs will have that same ski binding feel. At 85-90kg / 195 lbs and 47 or 48 cycling shoe, I'd like a bigger platform than the smallish looking Keo Blade 2. I only hear good things about Shimano... so maybe it's just my nostalgia that's causing me to still consider LOOKs?

I know @Calnago prefers Shimano and @Cyclespeed also casts a vote in. Also grateful to @TheDarkInstall for the summary below.

TheDarkInstall wrote:
-Time / Mavic. Utter, utter, utter shite. Avoid.

-Look. Bearings develop play in them very quickly. Stiff bearings out of the box. Cleats are mushy when you clip in. Carbon blade thing is a gimmick that breaks.

-Shimano. The absolute best. I am still on Dura Ace 7900, and have given them hell over the course of 5 years. Bearings are still totally perfect (and excellently engineered), and the clip in is still as positive and loud as it was on day one. Cleats available everywhere, really nice wide base, etc. They are the ultimate.

Speedplay. Pedal body seems alright, but the cleat system is an over-complex, over-engineered joke, that needs lubing, and a large rubber thing attaching to it so you don't grind the metal body into the floor every time you get off the bike. Compare this to Shimano cleats...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:14 pm 

For comparison sake:
ImageImage

Any guesses as to whether I'd like or loath the Keo Blade 2? Keo Max is on the table, but I don't like the idea of the exposed spring since I do ride on dirt roads sometimes.

And if I do go Shimano (I love low maintenance too!) is there any benefit getting the 9100 (with or without the extra +4mm) versus the 9000?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:22 am 

[quote="MiddMan"]I figure I'd post here rather than starting a new thread since I'm also considering switching from LOOK to Shimano.

I'm on circa 2003 Look PP-396, so no matter what I'll save weight on my new build with either Keo Blade or Keo Max or Shimano 9000 or 9100. What I do like about my old pedals is the sk- binding-like feel one gets when clicking in. There's no question: when you're in you're IN. I use red cleats which have 9 degrees of float. A lot has happened since 2003 though and I don't know if the new LOOKs will have that same ski binding feel. At 85-90kg / 195 lbs and 47 or 48 cycling shoe, I'd like a bigger platform than the smallish looking Keo Blade 2. I only hear good things about Shimano... so maybe it's just my nostalgia that's causing me to still consider LOOKs?

I never rode Shimano Pedals until now, but i guess they are safe bet based on other reviews. Anyway about Look pedals, they offer the click u looking for. Just like u said, Ski Binding Feel, when u feel click u are in (which i did not get from Time Xpresso.. Many timesi thought im connected, to realize it's not like that.. Also once trying to bunny hop a big obstacle i got disconnected with both feet in the air..)

And Look Keo Blade 2 offer very big platform area and low stack.When i was switching from Time to Look, first i decided to test ride Look, so i went for Look Keo Max Carbon pedals, and when i realized i like them then i upgraded to Blade version. Between two, i prefer Blade version. Another negative thing i read about was that in Blade version, Carbon spring change carateristics by the time, and become weaker. In my case and 2800 km on them, not that kind of problems (no any kind of problems for now).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:57 am 

So is it right that LOOK went from (1) Keo Blade to (2) Keo Blade 2 to now (3) Keo Blade? In other words, (3) is the newest iteration?

When unengaged, does the newest Keo Blade pedal weight / bearings allow it to fall back to same position? I heard that there were lots of issues with the old versions not returning to the 12 o'clock position (e.g. photo #1 of my old pedals' which always return to that position without fail). If the newest LOOK pedal still gets stuck in various positions that would be a deal breaker for me.

Edit: PS thank you 3Pio for your previous response!

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:57 am 

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next