Another Pedal Thread..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Hexsense wrote:I tried Time Xpresso last year but big mid section protuded cleats put me off for walking so i went back to Time ATAC and Shimano SPD later. I think the walkability would be much better if it is thinner in the middle but thicker near the end or so.

Any Keywin and SPD-SL user can comment about their walkability?
which one is better to walk on.

Keywin walkability is ok, a little slippery on wood or tile as the cleat has no rubber at all. If you don't walk around thinking your in normal shoes it's not really an issue.

I like Shimano pedals as well, have a few sets in a box. But it's the large platform and solid cleat engagement of the Keywins that win out for me.

I don't really think you could go wrong with either.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

To the OP, you didn't buy these pedals on Aliexpress or something did you? I have 3 pairs of Xpresso pedals. All have smooth bearings and I've never pulled out of a pedal.

cookiemonster

by cookiemonster

Hexsense wrote:
Any Keywin and SPD-SL user can comment about their walkability? which one is better to walk on.

I found Keywins very slippery to walk on - I have some smooth stone steps a that front of my house, Keywins were a bit of a liability in the wet whereas spd-sls are fine. However, it is relative - they're both poor for walking more than a few steps! I wouldnt make a decision based on that.

To me , the biggest draw back of the Keywins is the side-ways clipping in movement (a reverse of how you'd clip out of an spd-sl say). When combined with a light pedal that doesnt always orientate the same way there's too much faffing about to clip in. In actual pedaling use I rate them as the best pedals, but if you live somewhere where you're clipping in and out a lot (central London in my case) and need to be clipped in quickly and easily every time to keep with traffic, then spd-sl's may be a better bet.

Or track stand I guess!

micky

by micky

I agree that the clip in/out of the Keywin is a bit hard, otherwise they are the best choice on the market (just think about how many brands offer spare parts in case you break/crash).

I was a big fan of Shimano Dura ace for many years until I've got this sickness called Weightweeniesm.

3Pio

by 3Pio

AJS914 wrote:To the OP, you didn't buy these pedals on Aliexpress or something did you? I have 3 pairs of Xpresso pedals. All have smooth bearings and I've never pulled out of a pedal.

Original Time Xpresso 10. I bough them from chainreactioncycles.com. Yesterday i got another pair for a friend from bike-components.de, and they loook exactly same.

So i definetly have original pair of xpresso pedals.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

3Pio wrote:
Will u mix Shimano pedlas on Colnago build with Campagnolo?

Why not? Tons of people do, as Campagnolo quit making and developing pedals decades ago.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

If my DA 7900 pedals ever wear out, I can break out my 9000's as replacements. :)
My 7900's are closing in on 30,000 kilometers, with very little visible wear and zero rebuilds.
I ride the fixed-mode cleats to about 15k-20k kilos, only due to my small amount of walking that shaves them down too much. I find the $20 fixed-mode cleats enable the pedal to last longer, without the pedal contact points getting all that chafing from floating cleats.
Oldbie

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Asteroid wrote:If my DA 7900 pedals ever wear out, I can break out my 9000's as replacements. :)
My 7900's are closing in on 30,000 kilometers, with very little visible wear and zero rebuilds.
I ride the fixed-mode cleats to about 15k-20k kilos, only due to my small amount of walking that shaves them down too much. I find the $20 fixed-mode cleats enable the pedal to last longer, without the pedal contact points getting all that chafing from floating cleats.

Yeah my 7900s are refusing to show any signs of dying. I bought them when they first came out, and have about 120,000km on them now. Seriously amazing, considering how much hammer pedals get.

elSid

by elSid

MyM3Coupe wrote:
3Pio wrote:

Why not? Tons of people do, as Campagnolo quit making and developing pedals decades ago.

Campagnolo still makes pedals:
https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Products/record_profit_plus_pedals

Not sure if they're any good, nor if they've been recently refined.

wobbly

by wobbly

+1 for Shimano
As has been said above they just work. I checked which version I have and it is the 7900 DA. They have a positive click in and my shoe does not slide around the pedal. On my winter bike I got a lower version - I think 105 - and the contact material gives a slightly different feel under foot - more movement. Both are fuss free and silky smooth.

The DA name is discrete enough not to clash with my Campag set up :wink: :wink:

3Pio

by 3Pio

Seem that u convice me :)

In this moment i have Time Xresso 10 Pedals which i used last year and half.

Now im using Look Keo 2 Max Carbon, as winter pedals (and wanted to check how Look will work).

Since i have two pair of Time Cleats, my plan is like this:

1. Upgrade Time Xpresso 10 with bearings and use them that way until i eat the cleats i have

2. Sell the Look or keep them for Winter (i have also walkable cleat covers for this)

3. Buy Shimano DA Pedals :) (until i wear out the cleats, it will be few months, so i guess i will find a bit lower prices then they are now)

Asteroid

by Asteroid

elSid wrote:
MyM3Coupe wrote:
3Pio wrote:

In my opinion, I find this avoidance of mix & match simply too weird. :smartass: Hell, on my all Dura Ace main bike, I run a Campy seatpost, Cinelli quill stem, Michelin tires, Fizik saddle. Colnago, in fact, spec'd their top builds in the 90's with Dura Ace. :thumbup:
Oldbie

3Pio

by 3Pio

Asteroid wrote:
elSid wrote:
MyM3Coupe wrote:
3Pio wrote:

In my opinion, I find this avoidance of mix & match simply too weird. :smartass: Hell, on my all Dura Ace main bike, I run a Campy seatpost, Cinelli quill stem, Michelin tires, Fizik saddle. Colnago, in fact, spec'd their top builds in the 90's with Dura Ace. :thumbup:

Probably my next groupset will be Durace :) I avoid Shimano groupset this time, because i dont like how the shifters work (i prefer brake levers to dont move when im braking), so that why i choosed campagnolo.. And ok.. I admit.. Italin groupset on italian frame :) But next time, probably will be Durace.

And about pedals, to dont repeat my self.. seem that in few months i'll have Durace pedals on campy build :)

lw11

by lw11

I've had DA 9000 on my previous bike and have LOOK Keo Blade Max 2 Ti on my current bike. I think there are pros and cons to both.

The DA pedals are bombproof, spin freely and are set and forget. I love the feel of the LOOK pedals, however, the cleats are slippery as hell and do wear quick; i'd also prefer the 16nm spring compared to the 12nm i'm currently using. Also, the LOOK pedals don't spin as free nose up as the DA when unclipped, so takes a while to adjust technique.

In a perfect world, I prefer the LOOK pedal and cleat with DA durability. Hmmmm... after writing this, maybe I should switch my pedals back to DA.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I had them and Dura-Ace are pretty good in every department except one...they feel crap when clipped into imo. The float feels awful but the bearings are smooth and the pedals are super sturdy... ;)