Another Pedal Thread..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks for the diagram. And yes on the software comment. I saw your post over in the 9100 thread. Good stuff. Perhaps you could give Garmin a call next. Their units are nice but their software design over the years leaves much to be desired. Better than it used to be however.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kode54

by kode54

pedals and computers. all ongoing issues that both need improvement on. on the Garmin, the UI needs improvement...totally agree...and likewise for pedals. as far as the advancements in bike technology, the pedals seem like a forgotten component.

i still use Speedplay. mainly because i like the no look, 2-sided entry. i'm intrigued by the Keywins since the cleats seem to last longer than plastic ones. since i rebuild and repack grease in my Speedplays, i haven't had many issues with failure. the grease injection port never worked for me as i usually make a mess of things and grease not injecting properly, so i typically take the pedals apart and clean them inside and out. one issue that i have to take into account when switching pedal systems is the fact that i have to change them on all my bikes, make cleat adjustments and possibly change the seat height position due to stack height of the cleats and pedals. too lazy to go through that process and cuts into my riding time.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

@DarkInstall, thanks a lot for detailed post about Shimano Pedals.Seem like they really rule and u really put me in serious thinking to purchase them..

There is two things that put me off them (as i mentioned before):

1. Weight - 224 gm and cant find the weight for the cleats.

Trying to put weight off my build, and now every gm seem that it metter (if i put more weight in the pedals, i'll have to shave that somewhere else, which mean more money spending..)

Trying to get 6800 gm including pedals..

@DarkInstall: What is the actual weight of pedals and cleats (including all the hardware)

2. I ride a Colnago C60 with Campagnolo components, and somehow Shimano does not match on this build :)

Will u mix Shimano pedlas on Colnago build with Campagnolo?

@Calnago, what pedals do u use on ur Colnago C60 Build?

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

9100 DA pedals are 233g / pair.

Cleats about 40g/pair (inc bolts)

Just get these, then save the grams by buying an AX Lightness saddle....!! I'm under 6kg with these pedals so it's not a show stopper!
Last edited by cyclespeed on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I use Dura Ace pedals on all my builds. When I first built up my C59 in 2011, I was hell bent on having a 100% Euro build. And at the time I thought the Look Keo Blades looked pretty badass. I wanted to try them, so I did, the 16Nm version. I was back on the Shimanos after a couple hundred miles or so. The thing with the Looks is they were light at about 185 grams I think versus the 250gram Shimanos, but they just didn't work as well. They had two sets of cleats even... one with little rubber pads that were supposedly better for walking around in, and they were, but they sucked for riding as they didn't clip in as well as the non rubber stopped ones did. So I used the ones that worked while actually in the cleats. But they wore out extremely fast, especially if you get off your bike at all during rides, and I do. The shimano cleats are wide, and they are probably the most walkable road cleats I've ever used with the very hard rubber pads on the three balancing points, which also serve as a good indicator as to when you should replace your cleats. But the thing is, while I've seen a bunch of guys pulling their pedals apart to regrease and maintain (notably Speedplay), I've never once had occasion to pull apart a Shimano pedal, nor have I known anyone in my circle of cyclists who have done so. They just work and work flawlessly, from beginning to end. And the thing is, the oldest pair I have seem to work just as well as the newest pair. Weight and brand loyalty are fine to a point, but only to a point. And that point varies from individual to individual.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

3Pio

by 3Pio

After i find perfect match in Selle Italia SLR Carbonio Flow, no chance to change it :)

Too bad that Shimanos are 233 gm :(, but seem there is not possible quality, and weight in same time for normal price

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

3Pio wrote:After i find perfect match in Selle Italia SLR Carbonio Flow, no chance to change it :)

Too bad that Shimanos are 233 gm :(, but seem there is not possible quality, and weight in same time for normal price

How often is there a product that it so clearly head and shoulders above the others in its category as far as performance, form and reliability as is the Shimano SPD-SL pedal system. Forget all those other concerns and get yourself a pair of DA9000 pedals. You will not regret it.

Rick

by Rick

eric01 wrote:Shimano 9000s for me. Have put thousands of miles on without any issues. Despite this forum being weight weenies, I think the tradeoff of slightly more weight is worth it in exchange for "never have to worry about them"

This is my feeling exactly.
I haven't tried all the pedals, but I have tried a lot of them (most of them) and it is just remarkable how Shimano could make a system that is so bullet-proof and maintenance free.
One more consideration though is that once you go Shimano, the Ultegras are about 99% as solid as the Dura Ace for about 60% of the cost. ....and then the 105s are about 98% of the Ultegras for another cost reduction. Each lower line has just a few grams weight increase.

I have all three, and none of them has ever had any bearing or cleat problems.

ArtV

by ArtV

Xpedo Thrust SL

Free spinning pedal with 3 cartridge bearings per pedal.

168g with a Ti axle. 180 pound weight limit.
210g with CrMo axle. No weight limit

No noise at all and spin freely. Highly recommended.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Another vote for DA. This is it as DA are the last I'm TRYING (being a Campagnolo dude!). I haven't been on them for long but already have 2 pairs over 2-3 bikes. Using fixed (Red) cleats with the retention wound almost right up.
First pedals were Suntour (couldn't afford the venerable Time Equipe) followed by many others including Keywin (old model) SPD-R, S-play, Tri-Rig, to name but a few. Lots of float to start off with, now I'm fixed and fixed on SPD-SL.
Less is more.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I tried Time Xpresso last year but big mid section protuded cleats put me off for walking so i went back to Time ATAC and Shimano SPD later. I think the walkability would be much better if it is thinner in the middle but thicker near the end or so.

Any Keywin and SPD-SL user can comment about their walkability?
which one is better to walk on.

micky

by micky

I normally go cycling on my shoes, for walking I prefer casual gym shoes.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

LOL, so do I, Micky. :thumbup:

Based on the cleats on the Keywin having not changed (much), hands down the SPD-SL wins. On my old model Keywin, I limited to when pushing the bike from indoors to out and vice versa.
Less is more.

gsgrossart

by gsgrossart

I'm a big fan of Coombe pedals. I have been riding their Millenneum (v1) pedals for 10 years. They are great pedals: low stack height, few moving parts, low weight, and I like supporting small boutique businesses. Unfortunately, Coombe took a break making them for 5+ years. My pedals stayed in great shape, but the cleats eventually wore out (though they last longer than cleats from most other manufacturers). Thankfully I was able to get several cleats via ebay during that period.

Good news is that they reopened shop with updated Millennium 2 pedals around a year ago. I have one pair of the new version and they are still a great pedal. Not quite as light as the original version, but better in other ways. They are not for everybody, but definitely work a look.

http://www.coombe.com/millennium_pedal_features_1.html

shimmeD

by shimmeD

The Coombe looks like a quality and excellent pedal. I want the lowest stack, fixed and secure followed by durability, ease of entry, weight, price etc. The SPD-SL compromises on stack & weight only. For me, stack is a big compromise (can't empathize with anyone also being able to use Ultegra if they already have DA - fairly large difference in stack) but SPD-SL is still the winner.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com