Another Pedal Thread..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Well, I added weight going from Speedplay Ti to Shimano DA9100 pedals and I couldn't be happier. Sometimes weight is the last thing to consider when it comes to certain components. I also ditched my ultralight QR skewers for the heavy Campy skewers and couldn't be happier. It eliminated my front wheels getting knocked off-center while using the ultralight QR.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

cyclespeed wrote:Longevity? Avoiding having to put a weight limit on? Price? (I reckon for a 50$ premium, there'd be plenty of takers).

$50 premium? That's the best joke I've heard in ages :wink:

Speedplay has a ~ £150 premium for ti over stainless, Look a touch more than that for ti over cromoly, Time a £100 premium for ti over hollow stainless... If DA had a ti axle option they'd be over £350 RRP for a pair of pedals, guaranteed.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Good luck with the Kéo Blade 2 Carbon Ti pedals. I bought 2 sets of 2016 models and I hate them. I have never said that about any pedal ever and I've used a few. Mine did not spin well, never dropped into position and worst of all had a lot of lateral movement (not float) making my hip unstable. Had a bike fit and was advised to replace them with Speedplays Zeros which I have done and they are so stable, I love them.
I do have a set of 2006 Look Keos Ti's on another and they are great so the issues seem to be with the new style ones.
I have used Speedplay before but switched in 2006 because my X1's kept getting dirty and locked me in a few times which put me off but that was during winter riding on muddy lanes.
I was also advised against the Ti Speedplays because the axle length is shorter i think) and the fitter did not feel it would be ideal for my hips.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

jeffy

by jeffy

Will be interesting to see how removal of needle bearings in 9100 version impacts long term durability.
Just followed the advice (buying dura ace) for "How to stop your Look Blades creaking". :mrgreen:

spud

by spud

smart man. You can spend your time dicking around with pedals to make them stop squeeking, rocking, knocking, or you can ride your bike.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Or get yourself Keywins and ride you bike :)

3Pio

by 3Pio

In last months, im riding between 200-300 km per week, and at least 3000 meteres climbing per week.

The fact that i just ordered Look Keo Blade Ti pedals wont change this at all. First i tried Look Keo Max Carbon for last 2000 km, and since there is some noise, it's not that bad. If Keo Blade work like that, then no problems for me.

Before Look, i was riding on Time Xpresso 10 for last 6000-7000 km. Bearings (or bushings), just died, the plastic screw for adjusting was broken in first attempt to adjust, and cleats last for max 500 km. Also dont like how easy can exit (i had to do a bunny hope on 50 km/h and i got uncliped in the middle of air. I had so much luck to dont crash my self).

So based on my experience Look Keo Max Carbon worked better then Time Xpresso. And based on that decided to go for Keo Blades. If they dont work,i'll just sale them and be richer in one experience. Nothing lost :)

muntos

by muntos

I'm on the point to change my Look Keo 2 Max pedals and from what I've read here I should stay away from Keo Blade (although my first choice would be the new Kéo Blade Carbon Ti Pedal - 2017) because of the noise in the first place.
The other option is Shimano Dura Ace 9100, here my main concern is that the biggest float available is 3" compared to my actual 9" from Look reds (I had some knee problems but not from too little float, I kept changed the cleats and now I'm used with 9" but I think less float would be okay also).
Time pedals, I don't know too much...
Choices choices choices... what should I buy :) ?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

[quote="muntos"
The other option is Shimano Dura Ace 9100, here my main concern is that the biggest float available is 3" compared to my actual 9" from Look reds [/quote]

You should realize that the 3 degree float of the Shimano yellow cleats is 3 degrees left and right, so you have a total of 6 degrees of float with it. The yellow floats about the center of the pedal.

The Shimano blue cleat offers 2 degrees of total float and floats about the toe of the cleat.

The Shimano red cleat is a fixed option and offers no float.
Attachments
spd-sl cleat differences.jpg

3Pio

by 3Pio

muntos wrote:I'm on the point to change my Look Keo 2 Max pedals and from what I've read here I should stay away from Keo Blade (although my first choice would be the new Kéo Blade Carbon Ti Pedal - 2017) because of the noise in the first place.
The other option is Shimano Dura Ace 9100, here my main concern is that the biggest float available is 3" compared to my actual 9" from Look reds (I had some knee problems but not from too little float, I kept changed the cleats and now I'm used with 9" but I think less float would be okay also).
Time pedals, I don't know too much...
Choices choices choices... what should I buy :) ?

Im having Time Xpresso for long time, and was Time pedals user for years.. I switched to Look Keo Max Carbon, and prefered compared to Time Xpresso (cleats on Xpresso lasted max 500 km, on Look 2000 km and still look like new).

Time also had problems with bushings after a while (this can be upgraded easely for bearings), and also i dont like lateral movement (on climbs i dont have my feet stable). During the bunny hop high speed, both feet got disconnected from pedals, and i was very lucky to dont crash. Based on nice experience i had with Look Max Carbons, i ordered Look Keo Blade Ti 2017, and waiting for them now.

The only thing i prefered Time vs Look, vas more easy to clip in.I understund that everyone here prefer the Shimano Durace, but i dont like the weight. If im not satisfied with Keo Ti, i'll go for Durace. But im the type of rider who sometimes like to experiment with equipment. If i did not want that, probably i would pick Durace :)

DaReef

by DaReef

I have both Time and Look on my bikes. I like them both but have a slight leaning towards Time. I have yet to have any issues with the Time pedals.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Juanmoretime wrote:I've been on the Look Keo Carbon Blade Ti pedals for a few months. I like them but Time Xpresso 12's are definitely easier to get into the pedal. Maybe I just need more time on the pedals since I rode the Times for almost 5 years.

FYI. My Looks do not creak.

It's coming, don't worry :)

I've used Keos almost exclusively in the time I've ridden - save a few month experiment on Speedplays. I've developed a bit of a click in my carbon/ti blade that I believe is between the spindle and pedal body so I'm finally starting to ponder something else.

As much as I've fallen in love with Shimano functionality - I want something lighter than the 9000 pedals!

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Imaking20 wrote:
Juanmoretime wrote:
As much as I've fallen in love with Shimano functionality - I want something lighter than the 9000 pedals!

Well the 9100 dura ace pedals are 20 grams lighter than the 9000 variants....

shimmeD

by shimmeD

:thumbup: 20g is a good sway towards the new DA pedals.
Less is more.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Agreed. Dammit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com