Another Pedal Thread..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shimmeD

by shimmeD

That is being wise!
I can't think of any other item that has a winner head & shoulders above the rest.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

Pedals arrived :) Ill post my experience after few weeks

EDIT: First ride 15 km (near hill just to test them..) While Keo Max Carbon does not have noises or something, seem that this new pedals are very noisy

I tried them with old cleats (grip version). I'll try tommorow probably with the new cleats (regular version), but i get ready that will be like this :)

Will see, how long i'll ride them until i order Shimano Durace :)

Last edited by 3Pio on Thu May 18, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

norcimmus

by norcimmus

What are good SPD compatible pedals that have a platform style as opposed to the "egg beater" types?

I'm running Shimano PD-A600's at the moment.

3Pio

by 3Pio

I switched to regular cleats (that came with the pedals), and allready have about 300 km on them. After i switched to the new cleats, no cracking noise, very silent. Very slippery for walking first few hours, but after few steps they are ok now. Still trying to use Cleat Covers for that Purpose to save cleats.

I opted for 12nm version of pedals, and for me very nice feeling. Just right. Also i have a feeling like im more efficient in pedaling, and dont know how to explain this. Its happened because i have better cleat position maybe, because of lower stack and wider pedaling surface or just look like better pedaling efficency.

If something happened to this first overal positive experience i'll let u know.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Until now (im using them since 18th of May), i have 1165 km (a lot of climbs in this) with my Look Keo Blade Ti and using them with regular Look Cleats (not grip version). For now no play in the bearings, very smooth and no creaking noise or something while riding. Also i like them more and more as feeling and whole action of clip/unclip.

Will post again in 1000-2000 km. For now, they are much better pedals then my old Time Xpresso 10

3Pio

by 3Pio

For now 2812 KM on Look Keo Blade 2 Ti pedals.. In last month i had a lot of climbing (this month i climbed 17000 meters), and have hard pushing km's. For now no any kind of problems.. No squeaks (the trick seem to be to use regular one cleats, not with rubber inserts), still spindle smooth and like new and no problems at all . The only thing is that they are scratched but thats normal.

Also i can see the cleats last much much longer then Time's.

So for now no regret.. Next update will be on 5000 km

MiddMan

by MiddMan

I figure I'd post here rather than starting a new thread since I'm also considering switching from LOOK to Shimano.

I'm on circa 2003 Look PP-396, so no matter what I'll save weight on my new build with either Keo Blade or Keo Max or Shimano 9000 or 9100. What I do like about my old pedals is the sk- binding-like feel one gets when clicking in. There's no question: when you're in you're IN. I use red cleats which have 9 degrees of float. A lot has happened since 2003 though and I don't know if the new LOOKs will have that same ski binding feel. At 85-90kg / 195 lbs and 47 or 48 cycling shoe, I'd like a bigger platform than the smallish looking Keo Blade 2. I only hear good things about Shimano... so maybe it's just my nostalgia that's causing me to still consider LOOKs?

I know @Calnago prefers Shimano and @Cyclespeed also casts a vote in. Also grateful to @TheDarkInstall for the summary below.

TheDarkInstall wrote:-Time / Mavic. Utter, utter, utter shite. Avoid.

-Look. Bearings develop play in them very quickly. Stiff bearings out of the box. Cleats are mushy when you clip in. Carbon blade thing is a gimmick that breaks.

-Shimano. The absolute best. I am still on Dura Ace 7900, and have given them hell over the course of 5 years. Bearings are still totally perfect (and excellently engineered), and the clip in is still as positive and loud as it was on day one. Cleats available everywhere, really nice wide base, etc. They are the ultimate.

Speedplay. Pedal body seems alright, but the cleat system is an over-complex, over-engineered joke, that needs lubing, and a large rubber thing attaching to it so you don't grind the metal body into the floor every time you get off the bike. Compare this to Shimano cleats...

MiddMan

by MiddMan

For comparison sake:
ImageImage

Any guesses as to whether I'd like or loath the Keo Blade 2? Keo Max is on the table, but I don't like the idea of the exposed spring since I do ride on dirt roads sometimes.

And if I do go Shimano (I love low maintenance too!) is there any benefit getting the 9100 (with or without the extra +4mm) versus the 9000?

3Pio

by 3Pio

[quote="MiddMan"]I figure I'd post here rather than starting a new thread since I'm also considering switching from LOOK to Shimano.

I'm on circa 2003 Look PP-396, so no matter what I'll save weight on my new build with either Keo Blade or Keo Max or Shimano 9000 or 9100. What I do like about my old pedals is the sk- binding-like feel one gets when clicking in. There's no question: when you're in you're IN. I use red cleats which have 9 degrees of float. A lot has happened since 2003 though and I don't know if the new LOOKs will have that same ski binding feel. At 85-90kg / 195 lbs and 47 or 48 cycling shoe, I'd like a bigger platform than the smallish looking Keo Blade 2. I only hear good things about Shimano... so maybe it's just my nostalgia that's causing me to still consider LOOKs?

I never rode Shimano Pedals until now, but i guess they are safe bet based on other reviews. Anyway about Look pedals, they offer the click u looking for. Just like u said, Ski Binding Feel, when u feel click u are in (which i did not get from Time Xpresso.. Many timesi thought im connected, to realize it's not like that.. Also once trying to bunny hop a big obstacle i got disconnected with both feet in the air..)

And Look Keo Blade 2 offer very big platform area and low stack.When i was switching from Time to Look, first i decided to test ride Look, so i went for Look Keo Max Carbon pedals, and when i realized i like them then i upgraded to Blade version. Between two, i prefer Blade version. Another negative thing i read about was that in Blade version, Carbon spring change carateristics by the time, and become weaker. In my case and 2800 km on them, not that kind of problems (no any kind of problems for now).

MiddMan

by MiddMan

So is it right that LOOK went from (1) Keo Blade to (2) Keo Blade 2 to now (3) Keo Blade? In other words, (3) is the newest iteration?

When unengaged, does the newest Keo Blade pedal weight / bearings allow it to fall back to same position? I heard that there were lots of issues with the old versions not returning to the 12 o'clock position (e.g. photo #1 of my old pedals' which always return to that position without fail). If the newest LOOK pedal still gets stuck in various positions that would be a deal breaker for me.

Edit: PS thank you 3Pio for your previous response!

C36

by C36

MiddMan wrote:So is it right that LOOK went from (1) Keo Blade to (2) Keo Blade 2 to now (3) Keo Blade? In other words, (3) is the newest iteration?

When unengaged, does the newest Keo Blade pedal weight / bearings allow it to fall back to same position? I heard that there were lots of issues with the old versions not returning to the 12 o'clock position (e.g. photo #1 of my old pedals' which always return to that position without fail). If the newest LOOK pedal still gets stuck in various positions that would be a deal breaker for me.

Edit: PS thank you 3Pio for your previous response!

To be honest didn't followed the naming convention (but bought them end 2016 and they were listed as Keo blade 2), but since day one they go vertical (or near vertical), coming from the first generation of blades I got really pleased how easy they engage. Image

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Jopie666

by Jopie666

Sorry for digging up this older thread but I need some advice.
Since I’m slowly building a N+1 I need new pedals. It seems that the time RXS pedals, that I use are becoming a bit harder to find since they are out of production.
I was thinking about shimano but in that case I only want the DA. Since I need 2 pair that would be a bit to expensive.
The newer Time doesn’t appeal to me due some bad reviews. Look has some issues as well.
Is the alternative maybe exustar? They use the same cleats as look but with the same issues (creaking and fast wear)??
Any users here with their opinion?
Thanks in advance.
Oh, it's all right. I'm sure that we can handle this situation maturely, just like the responsible adults that we are. Isn't that right, Mr... Poopy Pants?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I work on a guy’s bike who has a bunch of Time pedals. Old Times, new times. Xpresso, and the newest (I think) XPro Carbons. To me they seem cheap, plasticlike, and not very durable. Do yourself a favor and get two pairs of Ultegra pedals if you can’t afford DuraAce. Not that different, a little heavier. Work the same. Bullet proof. Cleats last (Look cleats don’t), just all round great pedals.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

guyc

by guyc

Calnago wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:37 pm
I work on a guy’s bike who has a bunch of Time pedals. Old Times, new times. Xpresso, and the newest (I think) XPro Carbons. To me they seem cheap, plasticlike, and not very durable. Do yourself a favor and get two pairs of Ultegra pedals if you can’t afford DuraAce. Not that different, a little heavier. Work the same. Bullet proof. Cleats last (Look cleats don’t), just all round great pedals.
This. Every single time.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Calnago wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:37 pm
Yup. It's really hard to top Shimano SPD-SL pedals. I have used pretty much every pedal type in my thirty years of cycling except Bebop, Coombe and Campy Pro-Fit pedals and Shimano spd-sl are the best. I do have one caveat though - I don't like lateral movement in the float so Shimano's yellow cleat is not too good for me. With the yellows your feet can move about 9-11mm in and out on the pedal. This is not the angular 6 deg float that they are specced as. This is lateral movement (like Time's 2.5mm) that increases or decreases your 'Q' or stance width. Luckily I get on quite well with the blue shimano 2 deg cleats so I am not bothered. The Shimano bearings are second to none, the cleats last forever and the platform is good and solid.

As an aside, I did recently try the new Time Xpro pedals, mostly out of curiosity since I rode Time pedals from 1988 up to about 2003 when I hopped on the, then new, shimano spd-sl pedals. If you need 10deg of float and can handle the 2.5mm of lateral movement, the float sensation on these is the best I have ever tried - smooth and easy. That said, as you say Calnago, the pedals do look plasticky and fragile and the cleat bolt heads are very soft. After a few turns the bolt head sockets were a little rounded out. I never have that issue with the bolts Shimano supplies with their cleats.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com