Another Pedal Thread..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

As a guy who was on Time from 1995 to very recently, I can attest that overall Time's quality has plummeted. I have a box of dead RXS and Xpresso pedals in my basement. It's a shame the quality dropped, because Time had a great float design.

I agree with the above, Shimano pedals are pretty much the whole package. IF you can get on with the float, either in the yellow or blue cleat. I tried, and just never felt comfortable. I've migrated over to Speedplay with dedicated 4-hole Speedplay shoes. I know Speedplay is devil-speak on WW but I'm satisfied. My main issue with them before was always the 3-hole adapter, but going to a 4-hole shoe elminates that and I'm 95% happy. I do like the independent adjustability of fore-aft, lateral and rotation. My only wish would be that the rotation had just a bit more friction but that is the Time user in me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fiery

by Fiery

BdaGhisallo wrote:With the yellows your feet can move about 9-11mm in and out on the pedal. This is not the angular 6 deg float that they are specced as. This is lateral movement (like Time's 2.5mm) that increases or decreases your 'Q' or stance width.
A centimetre of lateral movement? Are you sure about that? I’ve ridden a few different pairs of SPD-SL pedals, with a few different pairs of yellow cleats, and I never experienced anything remotely close to this. At most there was maybe a millimetre of lateral movement, but even that was hard to distinguish from the angular float.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, I don’t think Shimano has intentionally built in “lateral” float in any of their cleats. I thought the yellows were 8 degrees of rotational float, the blues are something less, and the reds (which I use) have zero float. And you can walk in them easily. I stop a lot :) .When the little rubber stops are gone, replace. On the Time front I had the Magnesium Equipe’s back in the early 90’s and those were so much more solidly built than what they’re churning out today.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Fiery wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:35 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:With the yellows your feet can move about 9-11mm in and out on the pedal. This is not the angular 6 deg float that they are specced as. This is lateral movement (like Time's 2.5mm) that increases or decreases your 'Q' or stance width.
A centimetre of lateral movement? Are you sure about that? I’ve ridden a few different pairs of SPD-SL pedals, with a few different pairs of yellow cleats, and I never experienced anything remotely close to this. At most there was maybe a millimetre of lateral movement, but even that was hard to distinguish from the angular float.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eaZZN5pRUw

Have a look at this clip to see what I am talking about.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I'd pick the DA ahead of Ultegra damn the cost, because of the lower stack DA offers. Last pedals I used were TriRig-Bebop-Speedplay which all have low stack. On the TriRig I found that I could ride fixed, hence I've come to the conclusion that DA SPD-SL are the bees' knees.
Last edited by shimmeD on Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Less is more.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The Dura Ace pedals come with hollow cleat bolts for a slight weight saving. I spent more and got the Dura Ace. For the price It’s hard to beat the Ultegras. I was a long time Soeedplay user. I won’t be switching pedals anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJCM

by PJCM

I'm a long time Keywin user after using Look, Time and Shimano. Positives are their weight, serviceability (all spare parts are available), secure creak-free interface and tunable float (pedal body moves, not the cleat). Negatives are entry action (but becomes intuitive with practice) and aesthetics. A niche option and not to everyone's taste but something to consider.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That video clip of the yellow Shimano cleats looks like they are really loose, in all directions. Doesn’t look right to me. Is it? I don’t have any yellow cleats on a shoe around here just now or I’d test them out.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Fiery

by Fiery

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:10 pm

Thanks, that's a really good demonstration. I guess I never noticed that because, at the time, I was riding with my heels jammed all the way in against the inner limit of the float range. Though, to be honest, that's 3-4 mm of lateral movement at the most, nowhere near 9-10 mm. I will have to test it out sometime on the pedals I have in the parts bin, it's possible some models have more free movement than others.

Jopie666

by Jopie666

Thank you all for the advice! I see that you're all in the shimano camp and, I must admit, it's hard to find other reasons then to buy SPD-SL.
shimmeD wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:24 pm
I'd pick the DA ahead of Ultegra damn the cost, because of the lower stack DA offers. Last pedals I used were TriRig-Bebop-Speedplay which all have low stack. On the TriRig I found that I could ride fixed, hence I've come to the conclusion that DA SPD-SL are the bees' knees.
The price difference between ultegra and DA isn't that big but I have to buy two pair. What difference in stack are we talking about? I'm building a supersix next to my caad 12 and I don't want a big difference in riding position.
I think I'll be on the lookout for a nice discount. Best price I've seen for the DA-9100 is €165,-
Oh, it's all right. I'm sure that we can handle this situation maturely, just like the responsible adults that we are. Isn't that right, Mr... Poopy Pants?

Fiery

by Fiery

Older Dura Ace pedals also had narrower Q-factor than Ultegra and lower models, something like 2 mm per side. I would check if this is still the case, otherwise for me it would mean having dedicated shoes with different cleat positions for each bike.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Fiery wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:29 am
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:10 pm

Thanks, that's a really good demonstration. I guess I never noticed that because, at the time, I was riding with my heels jammed all the way in against the inner limit of the float range. Though, to be honest, that's 3-4 mm of lateral movement at the most, nowhere near 9-10 mm. I will have to test it out sometime on the pedals I have in the parts bin, it's possible some models have more free movement than others.
The amount of the lateral movement in the yellows is due to the thinner toe on the yellow cleats. The toe on the blue and red cleats is the same and perfectly fits the front of pedal so that they merely pivot around in the opening and do not move laterally. I just measured the width of the toe of the yellow cleat as 25.5mm and the toe on the blue and red cleats as 30mm. That's 4.5mm of movement on each pedal. So your total stance width can vary by +/- 9mm with the yellow cleats.

Fiery

by Fiery

Oh, I thought you were talking per pedal intially. All clear then, thanks. Now I definitely want to test this on the pedals I have - I might actually like this range of movement now that I tend to point my feet a bit more straight.

mendiz

by mendiz

Another thread where Calnago talk without trying the component, for me is the anti advicer . I was using Time RXS pedals about 70000 kms and perfect.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

mendiz wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:48 pm
Another thread where Calnago talk without trying the component, for me is the anti advicer . I was using Time RXS pedals about 70000 kms and perfect.
So you dredge up a thread that's been dormant for six months simply to trash another user? Someone I might add, who has about 100 times more posts than you and has provided a lot of very useful input over his six thousand plus posts.

Stay classy.