Schmolke Ti shifter clamps for Sram

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I began talking about these on another thread, as I was weighing up these vs BTP clamps which don't fit Red 22 without use of a dremel. I thought starting its own thread might help, and we can use this as a source of info to help eachother.

Unsurprisingly few differences in appearance to the originals. Sadly I couldn't get a screen grab to work here for the life of me. They cost €50 for the pair.

Their claimed weight is 12g for the pair (bolts aren't included). I calculate the weight of the Sram clamps to be 19.4g. Maybe not a huge weight saving (7.4g), but if you're chasing the last few grams...

I asked Schmolke about the lack of bolts; Stefan kindly responded and said the standard Sram bolts (steel) are very light as they're drilled out.

Hmm... on my scale the steel bolts are still 3.5g each, so checking vs titanium M5x16mm bolts made by Carbon-Ti*, which are claimed to be 1.9g each (cost €5.50 each). It's therefore possible to save about another 3.2g there, which is worth it IMO if you're willing to spend €50 on just the clamps.

When the order arrives in mid January they will hit the scales of truth! I plan a cut out on the clamps and might look at drilling out the ti bolts. Target is 13.5g total! :twisted:
Last edited by 4ibanez on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

*M6 x 16mm
That means the weight saving on ti bolts is gonna be about 2g worse than I originally predicted. Drilling out ti bolts might be quite hard as well...estimated weight saving needs revising... :|

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

Based on your original and follow up posts, I am guessing the clamp bolts are actually M6x16mm. So going to titanium clamp bolts will net you a 1.2 gram savings. Might not be worth the effort I think.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

So the clamps turned up this week along with the Carbon-Ti bolts. The clamps themselves came in at 11g (1g under claimed) vs the original steel clamps, which are 19g.

Carbon-Ti bolts m6x16 were claimed 2.9g, but I neglected to actually weigh them. My dad who works with metal has already drilled out the ti bolts similar to the stock bolts. He played it safe with the size of the hole, but the bolts are now 2.5g each, so a 1g saving on each bolt over stock drilled steel.

The Ti clamps are next to undergo some surgery. The aim is to emulate the cut out of DA9000 shifter clamps. Pictures of the finished article to follow.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Tuned 8)
Accurate weights not in yet, but expecting 14g

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Well, nobody else seems to care about these...maybe no one else likes Red 22? Anyway this is my last post about this unless any discussion picks up. Final tuned weight is 13.9g, but even stock weight (18-19g) isn't bad.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

There weren't enough pictures before :P
What else do you plan to do to your shifters?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Hey mate. I think you have done a great job there. I dremelled out the shifter body to fit the carbon clamps in but would have done this if the ti clamps were available.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Sorry, I get a bit narked that there are maybe over 500 posts about new DA9001, but nobody on the forum seemed to care about an upgrade for a more WW option.

Thank you for the comments. The only other thing I'd maybe try is to drill out the middle of the shift paddle. I could then file the hole to a more aesthetically pleasing shape, as I don't have a dremel - any advice? I could also sand the logos off the levers for a few grams.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

My shifters have no logos, but I've been tempted to dremel them out godzuki style!

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

4ibanez wrote:Well, nobody else seems to care about these...maybe no one else likes Red 22? Anyway this is my last post about this unless any discussion picks up. Final tuned weight is 13.9g, but even stock weight (18-19g) isn't bad.

Great work on these. Exactly what I was looking for. How did you machine the clamps out of interest?

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

4ibanez wrote:Tuned 8)
Accurate weights not in yet, but expecting 14g

Where can I buy the clamps? I'm in the U. S.
Do I have to mod them for them to fit sram force and sram red etap shifters?
The screws I can buy from China Aliexpress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCP

by BCP

Looks great; nice work on them!

Kaboom

by Kaboom

from this very forum... there must be some amazing savings to be had with the levers...

viewtopic.php?t=107812

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

You can buy the clamps from the Schmolke website. The cut away was done by my old man using a "wire machine". I just sent him a pic of the DA9000 clamps off the internet and said "can you do this?". I had a video of the tuning in progress, but must have deleted it. Have no idea if the clamps will work other than with Red 22 (seems a bit of a luxury purchase to use with Force)!

Have heard people saying cheap ti from China isn't the best quality. From the US, Toronto cycles might be a good bet for ti bolts.