Replace my Bianchi Oltre XR.2 with a Trek Madone 9.9 RSL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Should I replace my Bianchi Oltre XR.2 with Trek Madone 9.9 RSL

Poll ended at Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:54 pm

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 29

gzon

by gzon

Luxury problem: Should I replace my Bianchi Oltre XR.2 with Trek Madone 9.9 RSL? The Oltre is specced with Dura Ace Di2 9070 and Roval CLX 40 wheels. The Madone in question also comes with Dura Ace Di2 9070 and Bontrager Aeolus 5 wheels.

Shrike

by Shrike

I'd move to the Madone.

Just for the experience. Really loving the current gen bikes. Very cool.

You're going to get asked of course - what about the XR4? It can be in your ballpark I think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gzon

by gzon

Shrike wrote:I'd move to the Madone.

Just for the experience. Really loving the current gen bikes. Very cool.

You're going to get asked of course - what about the XR4? It can be in your ballpark I think.

XR4 is attractive as well but at the moment I can get a better deal on the Madone.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

What is the purpose, curiousity or?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

gzon

by gzon

wheelsONfire wrote:What is the purpose, curiousity or?

Curiosity and the undefined satisfaction of having a new bike. I think the XR2 is extremely good. I guess the ambiguity is one of the reasons for this poll. :)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Haha, i totally get you ;-)

Personally i have a medical issue, so i would pick an H2 just because of the stack height.
Otherwise, i would focus on what geo that fitted me personally best.
Also if i would need a more comfortable frame or liked super stiff riding frames better.
The miniscule aero advantages from brand to brand, i would prio much much lower.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Gehenna

by Gehenna

To provide a counter point, i'll say keep the XR2. It's an absolutely gorgeous bike with performance that you yourself can attest to. Since the XR2 is already molded to be aero and comfortable, the Madone may be an upgrade, but i'd wager only a smidge. You'd still have to go through the hassle of working the fit to your liking and then braking it in. After all that, theres the chance it won't be as lively, sure-footed or any other jargon as the Bianchi. But if you got the money to blow and the will to blow it, YOLO

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

Heard great things about the Trek Madone 9. The Bianchi is also a great bike with more "soul" than the Trek. No doubt the Trek will be a fun ride but Italian soul it is not. Tough decision but that new bike itch always needs to be scratched. Can't go wrong with either. Bianchi would get my vote with some updated wheels to sooth that itch.

moonoi

by moonoi

Disagree about the "soul". I don't have a Bianchi XR2, but I have a Colnago C60 and a Madone 9 (H2), the bike I love to ride the most and puts the biggest smile on my face is the Trek. I still love the C60, especially the look of that carbon lugged frame.

So, go get a Madone, I doubt you'll be disappointed [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah I'm well over the Italian thing. Had a Bianchi and it was a dream to get one, but dealing with Bianchi made me realise they're actually a pretty shitty bunch of people and their claims about countervail etc are mad balls after thousands of miles on it and a cheap carbon chinese frame to compare with. They're riding on the Italian thing and some decent frame building technique, but face it, who doesn't build decent frames any more? I reckon they get 1 to 2 stars more per review than they really deserve.

They do make some beautiful bikes of course - the XR4 is probably the nicest frame of the current generation of bikes IMO. Had a toss up between it and the S5 this week and in the end, I just couldn't bring myself to ride another Bianchi. The other thing is transparency. You know a lot of modern bikes are tested hard, even if the resultant marketing is dubious. Bianchi thinks lack of transparency is mystique. Thought so too once, now I just think it's BS.

Sorry for the cynicism!

DJT21

by DJT21

The Trek looks like a dogs dinner. I'm sure you'd be able to find a much nicer alternative without trying

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Off topic, but anyway....
I spoke to a guy working in a Bianchi dealership. He told me the Bianchi owner is hard, not at all same employee discounts as for example Scott.
Those selling Scott, must have huge discounts.
One guy told me he buy one road and one mtb every year. When season is over, he always buy two new Scott bikes and sell the last year models he have had.
He also told me, i almost always got all money back.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)