Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:14 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Time to build
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:16 am 

Finally recovered 'enough' from a broken clavicle and ready to set up my C59. Lightweights just arrived and the EPS should be here by early next week. Still deciding on a cockpit. I'm in Los Angeles and looking for detailed tech to complete the build. After following Calnago's C60 build I only wish he was in my neck of the woods! Any recommendations?

Vintage Masi 3V Volumetrica
Vintage Masi Gran Criterium

Post subject: Re: Time to build
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:29 am 

Yea. Build it yourself.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:29 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:53 am 

It would be my first build. And along with the EPS I could certainly use some knowledgeable hands on assistance. And there's the issue of not having proper tools to do the job.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:43 pm 

I have done both of my EPS installations. The first was on a C59. Very straightforward installation, no funky seat posts, etc. The online Campagnolo tech videos will make this so easy for you, you won't believe it. My first installation was done in an hour or so, including zero-ing out the system, again the instructions were great!! Have at it!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:04 pm 

@lukester, thanks for the compliment and if I was in your area I'd say come on over and we can build it together. But unless you're really averse to doing it yourself, or just don't like working on your bike (and let's face it, some people just don't and that's ok), I'd say no time like the present to start learning. On the other hand, if you're really new to wrenching or bikes in general and really don't know the first thing about how it all goes together then I would definitely recommend getting it professionally built up to begin with but learn to maintain it and pull things apart as you need to going forward. If you think you could get into doing everything yourself down the road then it's really not that hard. Especially with all the online resources available today. And don't skimp on tools. Nothing makes wrenching easier than having good quality tools made for the job. It also helps in producing a better build. And nothing can make working on bikes more irritating than fiddling around with makeshift tools that both make the job more frustrating than it needs to be and potentially a hatchet job when finished. I saw a photo of what one guy uses to torque the bolt of the Hirth joint in the Bottom Bracket... the ball end of a 10mm Allen key with the short end jammed into a crescent wrench for leverage. Don't do that. It's a hack job and potentially rounds the insides of the Hirth joint bolt. That bolt is one of the most important bolts in the system and you should torque it down properly with a proper fitting socket and torque wrench.
Also, while I personally still prefer a finely set up mechanical system, electric shifting is a comparative breeze to actually get working properly in the end. Enjoy the process, whether you get someone to build it or do it yourself. And post up when it's all done, even if it's just one pic in the "Pictures of Colnagos" thread.
There's gotta be some good builders in the LA area that you could use. Start making some calls and search them out.

Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:04 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:38 pm 

Calnago, I'm way to detailed or should I say, OCD to dive into this without proper tools. The job doesn't appear complicated however, for my first go around I'll seek the help of a qualified tech and go through it with him. There's quite a number of high end bike shops in the area but on the most part, the builds and fitting appear to be more of a 2nd thought. One shop, Bike Effect spent a serious amount of money on they're on computerized fit equipment which includes saddle and foot pressure mapping so I'll start there. Thank you for all your comments!!