Lets see your S5 Garmin mount solutions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Saw one in the flesh at TDU and they look really great

Sorry its a crap photo

https://www.barflybike.com/shop/bar-fly ... ht-mounts/

USD69.95
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Breakthrough!

Jamie from Fetha replied. Said he made a bunch of mounts specifically for this situation. Only one left however, with 28mm faceplate bolt distance.

My Zipp SL Course stem is 27mm :cry:

Might work for one of you guys though.

Want to change stem anyway so, really need to decide between ENVE's stem and Zipp's SL Speed now and see if there's any chance Fetha can do a mount for whatever their bolts distance is. SL Speed is 33mm, waiting on hearing from ENVE, but I think it's 21mm..

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Watching the Tour of DBX, none of the Cervelo teams are running the Cervelo aero bar.

Most are use the non-aero Enve bar... Really thinking about changing over too since they're lighter, easy to use mounts with and obviously don't hinder performance...
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah I was thinking that this week too - if I can't get an elegant solution with this bar, it'll have to go.

ENVE's bar is pricey though. Could be looking at £550 to £600 for ENVE stem and bar..

Big outlay to get a nice stem mount on your bike.

Pic of the Fetha Cervelo Bar stem mount

1415chris

by 1415chris

Having K-edge mounts, I started seriously considering installing my backup bar.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Shrike wrote:Yeah I was thinking that this week too - if I can't get an elegant solution with this bar, it'll have to go.

ENVE's bar is pricey though. Could be looking at £550 to £600 for ENVE stem and bar..

Big outlay to get a nice stem mount on your bike.

I just cant't be f**ked with the internal routing again. Took me FOREVER to get the Di2 and brake cables through the Cervelo bar.

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah I couldn't have handled that. Pulling them out when installing SRAM was a real eye opener. Super tight. No clue how the shop done those in the first place. Brute force I'm guessing or some sort of wizardry.

wingguy

by wingguy

ryanw wrote:Watching the Tour of DBX, none of the Cervelo teams are running the Cervelo aero bar.

Most are use the non-aero Enve bar...

Dimension Data are the only Cervelo team at the Tour of Dubai, and they are sponsored by Enve to use Enve bars, stems, and wheels.

thumper88

by thumper88

The reason the factory Cervelo aero bar works is that it cleans up the leading edge in the center of the bar. The minute you stick something out in front of it, you have negated that, and it seems unlikely there is then any advantage over going with a good set of more standard aero bars from someone else, Zipp, Specialized, ENVE, etc and sticking your instrument out front on a standard mount.
My guess would be the specialized and zipp are the most tested of that bunch...
and when you stick something not only in front of the bar, but also HIGHER than the bar, you not only undo that advantage but make things even worse by adding surface area. And if you shove some long mount out there and angle it all up, its probably worse yet.
At some point you have to ask why get an aero frame and bars and then start messing up the flow on the leading edge of the bike, which is where it's most critical.
If you have the factory bar, inevitably the barfly is going to be the least damaging of the choices.
And as a general guideline, look at what the pros do with their SRM mounts... the instrument is squared off and not a great shape, but it's relatively small and they mount it exactly parallel to the ground and the mount is pretty minimal.

Shrike

by Shrike

@thumper

lost me a bit there. Either you're contradicting yourself, misunderstanding the conversation, or I'm reading you wrong.

I think everyone with an S5 wants to mount their computer as parallel to the ground as possible, in the way pros do. No-one is looking for a mount that sticks out in the air in front.

We can't do that with the S5 bars. That's the issue. The barfly definitely does not come anywhere close to this position. The Barfly is probably worse aerodynamically that just strapping the Q mount to the front edge of your Cervelo aero bars. As a couple of us are doing at present. I just sold my Barfly this morning.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I'm going Enve once a decent deal comes up. Cervelo bar look amazing but have their drawbacks as we all know.

The out-front Enve setup is so clean, my OCD loves it.

Shrike

by Shrike

I know an ENVE dealer in England who'll do ENVE stems for £185 delivered. Nearly went for it today but bailed, maybe later.

If you ever want his number I can pass it to you. Maybe he can sort you out for a bar too.

I'm still holding out.. purely because I do love how the Cervelo bar looks and the drop shape suits me..

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Shrike wrote:I know an ENVE dealer in England who'll do ENVE stems for £185 delivered. Nearly went for it today but bailed, maybe later.

If you ever want his number I can pass it to you. Maybe he can sort you out for a bar too.

I'm still holding out.. purely because I do love how the Cervelo bar looks and the drop shape suits me..

Please PM me his details bud.

Would hopefully get a bar from him too. :thumbup:

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

1415chris wrote:Having K-edge mounts, I started seriously considering installing my backup bar.

So much clamp area. Why more bars aren't like this is beyond me.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

ENVE emailed just now with a pic of their stem on the Cervelo bars and their mount on the upper faceplate screws. Kinda alright, but not the ideal position out in front. Maybe do temporarily until/if I can get Fetha to do a custom job.