Rapha overshoes vs. Deep winter overshoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

Anyone have experience with both and can tell me what kind of temperature ranges they can handle. I have read a lot of the reviews on raphas page but they make no mention of type of socks worn which I find to make a big difference personally. I'm coming off of Castelli narcisista shoe covers that recently had both zippers snap off and I was never impressed with their warmth or wind blocking abilities. For reference the day the zippers broke I had to do the ride in rapha deep winter socks and toe covers and my feet were fine at 38F but any colder and I will need a full overshoe. My coldest rides are usually 25F or up. Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've only used the normal overshoes with merino socks.. been fine down to about 30-32F ..slightly cold be livable.

I'll add they are far from H20 proof... I think the deep winter would fair better in the wet.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

sungod

by sungod

can't comment on the rapha ones, but for me the narcisistas are not suitable for real cold

for winter i use the castelli diluvio 16 overshoes, very stretchy neoprene, good zip, together with their quindici winter socks they stay warm around freezing

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

Thank you for the responses. I am kind of moving away from castelli products based on previous quality issues, but thank you for the suggestion. It sounds like I might want to give the deep winter overshoes a try. I was just a little concerned they would get hot on longer rides that start early. The extra warmth might allow me to use a thinner sock though and be fine. What are you guys finding for correct sizing of these overshoes? A lot of reviews mention they are tight to put on if you follow the size chart. For reference I wear a 41.5 Sidi Wire and was looking at the mediums as this is a narrow lower volume shoe.

naambezet

by naambezet

sungod wrote:can't comment on the rapha ones, but for me the narcisistas are not suitable for real cold

for winter i use the castelli diluvio 16 overshoes, very stretchy neoprene, good zip, together with their quindici winter socks they stay warm around freezing

But they will let water in fairly quickly. I also have BBB overshoes which are thicker, warmer and doesn't leak.

sungod

by sungod

naambezet wrote:
sungod wrote:can't comment on the rapha ones, but for me the narcisistas are not suitable for real cold

But they will let water in fairly quickly. I also have BBB overshoes which are thicker, warmer and doesn't leak.

that's most likely down to fit and/or shoe compatibility, the neoprene is waterproof, water either gets in through the sole cutouts or the ankle

mine are stretched tight on the shoe and don't leak, but tights definitely need to go over the top or water easily seeps down from the ankle as there's no seal on the ankle cuff (unlike some others)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

SpecializedColnago wrote:Thank you for the responses. I am kind of moving away from castelli products based on previous quality issues, but thank you for the suggestion. It sounds like I might want to give the deep winter overshoes a try. I was just a little concerned they would get hot on longer rides that start early. The extra warmth might allow me to use a thinner sock though and be fine. What are you guys finding for correct sizing of these overshoes? A lot of reviews mention they are tight to put on if you follow the size chart. For reference I wear a 41.5 Sidi Wire and was looking at the mediums as this is a narrow lower volume shoe.

shoe size 43.. rapha,shimano,specialized.. and use Large overshoes.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

I have the overshoes and have been fine down to 0 Celsius, with merino socks, I guess I could go lower but don't usually have those kind of temperatures where I ride.

I once crashed while riding with them, and Rapha was kind enough to send a new pair with express shipping for a small fee. Their costumer service is absolutely flawless, they go above and beyond to any other brand in the market, would not switch now.
For size reference, the guide is correct, I wear Mavic 44 2/3 and Rapha 44, and size Large is spot on, nice and tight.

PS: I'm not affiliated to them :-)

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

snowdevlin wrote:I have the overshoes and have been fine down to 0 Celsius, with merino socks, I guess I could go lower but don't usually have those kind of temperatures where I ride.

I once crashed while riding with them, and Rapha was kind enough to send a new pair with express shipping for a small fee. Their costumer service is absolutely flawless, they go above and beyond to any other brand in the market, would not switch now.
For size reference, the guide is correct, I wear Mavic 44 2/3 and Rapha 44, and size Large is spot on, nice and tight.

PS: I'm not affiliated to them :-)

Excellent info. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

micro553

by micro553

I have the regular ones. They are okej down to 0 degrees not more.

And size - I have 43 specialized shoes and went for medium. Nice and tight.

But be careful with how u handle them. Mine got holes in them after not much use - Rapha gave me the cost back to shop for so as someone said - Raphas service is supergood.

I was forced to walk in them for maybe 2 km and after that they have broken (full of holes) in the front under.

I´m thinking of the deep winter ones as they seem to have a more durable underside. But have not yet got them.

I think if u ride alot in cold - winter shoes are far better. And more easy to put on / off.

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

I have thought about full winter shoes, but like you said they are really only worth it if you ride a lot in colder weather. Our winters here are only really cold for about 2 months so I am thinking I will get more versatility out of the shoe covers. Thank you for the info. I think I will spring for the deep winter covers and switch up socks for temperatures between mid 20s to upper 30s.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I wear a size Large and my shoes are a EU46 (UK11).
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

kode54

by kode54

SpecializedColnago wrote:I have thought about full winter shoes, but like you said they are really only worth it if you ride a lot in colder weather. Our winters here are only really cold for about 2 months so I am thinking I will get more versatility out of the shoe covers. Thank you for the info. I think I will spring for the deep winter covers and switch up socks for temperatures between mid 20s to upper 30s.

i have the Specialized winter boots and still put on overshoes. my finger tips and toes freeze right away. that said, i'm a 41.5 and have issues getting the Rapha Deep Winter overshoes on in medium. i don't have the issue with regular summer shoes...but prefer the winter boots since i can't keep my feet warm enough. i do ride a lot in the winter...and the winter boots are great for temps below 42 degrees F...at least for me. i use a Gore think overshoe (for fall i think) and stretches over the winter boot fine. the Rapha medium...no go on the boot...okay for the summer shoe. their Deep Winter overshoe is thicker in weight and doesn't stretch as well...so if you're concerned about fit...you probably need to test a pair out first.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

4151zero

by 4151zero

Your tolerance for cold is a factor, and I would order both large and medium from Rapha, and send back the ones that don't suit you. I wear 42.5/43 side wires and chose the large version. I west heavy socks and still didn't feel hot at 35f during mountain descents.

Rapha prepaid return labels are included with every order ;)

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

Thank you for the responses everyone. I went ahead and ordered the deep winter overshoes in a medium. I am pretty confident they will fit my sidi wires but if not I will just swap them out for the larges.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com