Advice needed on Cipollini NK1K

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

I did not say Cipollini asks from its dealers to drill a hole. I just said that, from an engineer's point of view, that would not be unimaginable and certainly it would not more 'dangerous' than cutting a fork steerer or an integrated seatpost. People open holes in their frames to pass through di2 cables all the time. Not a problem at all.

I could agree with Seedster that Cipollini did not want to alter the mould in order to save money but that does not seem to be the case. I expressed my thoughts by presenting photos from two NK1K manuals but obvioulsy no one paid attention.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Calnago wrote:
kgt wrote:Obviously one can guide the di2 cables throught the top tube or the down tube. It's not that there is one 'correct' way to do it. That's why there are these two options. You see that there is not a hole in the down tube either, just a cover that can be drilled or not. So a toptube or downtube hole is drilled by the LBS only after the rider decides what he prefers. No? What do the instructions following the frame say?

@kgt: Are you saying that Cippollini actually intentionally does not create certain holes for cable routing that may be necessary, and leaves that up to the dealer/customer to decide which routing to use and drill their frames accordingly? I don't know, I'm asking. But if that's the case, all I can say is Wow, that's a first to my knowledge. I've never known a manufacturer to endorse drilling a hole in their frames by anyone other than the manufacturer. That in itself is a huge Quality Control issue.

That's not what you seem to have said above, and certainly made no correction to that when I asked if that's what you were saying.
So they either forgot to drill a hole that should have been drilled, or as you were implying, expect it to be drilled "by the LBS only after the rider decides what he prefers".

In any case, I think @jwfinesse did the right thing in sending that particular frame back to where it came from.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

I was asking. "No? What do the instructions following the frame say?". I was not sure. After that I explained my point of view by presenting the NK1K manuals but you did not follow me either.

Anyway jwfinesse did the right think, I agree.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

kulivontot wrote:Sorry man, if you wanted quality control, you should've bought the $54000 luxury edition. Anything less just won't cut it.

wow, that looks so cheesy! :mrgreen: unbelievable.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

:-) LOL

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

reedplayer wrote:
kulivontot wrote:Sorry man, if you wanted quality control, you should've bought the $54000 luxury edition. Anything less just won't cut it.

wow, that looks so cheesy! :mrgreen: unbelievable.

What I find hard to believe on such a bike, is that with Di2 they can run electric cables virtually anywhere, and still, they manage to do it the worst looking way.
Come on, you spend so much on a bike, and there's no other way to have the cables then the hole for mechanic transmission?
ludacris...

A bike this expensive should look nothing but perfect... and this is not the case.

Succisa75

by Succisa75

Lafolie wrote:Been thinking about an NK1K frameset. Could any owners on her please let me know how the frame rides etc. Build quality and any niggles ? thanks very much

I saw that your question wasn't really answered so I thought I would give you my experiences with the frame.

As far as ride its quick, agile, and aggressive while still managing to be able to take on hills without much of an issue.
Power transfer is immediate. You will find that when you need that boost and push down on the pedals, the bike goes!

I haven't had any issues with my build quality. The NK1K is a bike that really needs to be seen in person to appreciate the attention to detail. Beautiful paint job and the angles and lines of the bike set it apart from the others on the market. As far as finish goes I prefer the gloss over matt, but either way it still looks good.

It's not the lightest aero frame, but sometimes the lighter frames can feel twitchy so I would say the NK1K weight feels about right.

Overall it's been coming up to a year for me and I still love riding it. I still love looking at it as well :)

chrishengyw1

by chrishengyw1

i sent an email to Cipollini support. Their reply was that the indentation is meant to be drilled to receive DI2 wires for the direct mount brakes frameset. For disk brakes frameset, the hole is already there. cant imagine myself drilling the $5000 frame! i will get the mechanic to do it

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

chrishengyw1 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:11 am
i sent an email to Cipollini support. Their reply was that the indentation is meant to be drilled to receive DI2 wires for the direct mount brakes frameset. For disk brakes frameset, the hole is already there. cant imagine myself drilling the $5000 frame! i will get the mechanic to do it
Did you end up sorting this and getting someone to drill the hole? I'm looking at one of these frames and it looks like the hole won't be drilled on mine and it's making me anxious thinking about it.

I'm not sure if any of the mechanics I know locally wouldn't even drill the hole for me tbh.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:43 pm
chrishengyw1 wrote:
Did you end up sorting this and getting someone to drill the hole? I'm looking at one of these frames and it looks like the hole won't be drilled on mine and it's making me anxious thinking about it.

I'm not sure if any of the mechanics I know locally wouldn't even drill the hole for me tbh.
Did you notice this is more than 3 years old thread? :)

About drilling Di2 hole on NK1K. I did the same on mine brand new frameset and it is pretty easy job. The place for the hole is pre-molded, just make sure you have sharp drill bit.
There´s really nothing to worry about.

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

Roadrocket wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:25 pm
Bobbyc123 wrote:
chrishengyw1 wrote:

About drilling Di2 hole on NK1K. I did the same on mine brand new frameset and it is pretty easy job. The place for the hole is pre-molded, just make sure you have sharp drill bit.
lol, i did, thought i'd throw it out there.

thanks for the reply!

Did you do anything to treat the hole after drilling? filing or painting, etc?

Cipollini say it will actually void the warranty but is safe to do so :? it's so bizzare.

The only thing i would worry about is the hole cracking or delamming in the future, but you would assume there is reinforcement behind the spot. But you would also assume the manufacturer would drill this hole for you so it's all a bit mad :noidea:

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Does this "thread" apply to current model NK1K? I.e., do the "aero-aware ports" referred to in the Wrench Science description below, need to be drilled by dealer/customer, or are they ready to go?

https://www.wrenchscience.com/road/fram ... NK1K/2020/
The frame has been designed with aero-aware ports for internal cable routing that will accommodate either a mechanical or electronic groupset.

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

HammerTime2 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:58 pm
Does this "thread" apply to current model NK1K? I.e., do the "aero-aware ports" referred to in the Wrench Science description below, need to be drilled by dealer/customer, or are they ready to go?

https://www.wrenchscience.com/road/fram ... NK1K/2020/
The frame has been designed with aero-aware ports for internal cable routing that will accommodate either a mechanical or electronic groupset.
I've been looking in to this for a while and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason around when there is the di2 hole and when there isn't. The official site has the manual and the rim version has it drilled and the disk version does not.

I've been in touch with a few people and shops on IG and some say they came already drilled and some said otherwise.

It's probably worth getting who you are buying it from to confirm, just to be safe.

Hope this helps?

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:26 pm
Roadrocket wrote:
Bobbyc123 wrote:
chrishengyw1 wrote:

thanks for the reply!

Cipollini say it will actually void the warranty but is safe to do so :? it's so bizzare.

The only thing i would worry about is the hole cracking or delamming in the future, but you would assume there is reinforcement behind the spot. But you would also assume the manufacturer would drill this hole for you so it's all a bit mad :noidea:

No problem mate, If I remember I used 5.5mm drill bit and after drilling I brushed the edges a little with small round rasp. After all of this (which was pretty easy and straight forward job) I just touched the edges with epoxy glue, but I don´t think it was even neccessary to do so.

I doubt this will void the warranty, because it´s supposed to do it for Di2 routing.

The hole won´t crack, there is almost no stress in this area. The place for hole is pre molded and thinned, while the material around the hole is ,,normally´´ thick.

Anyway I don´t know why these frames don´t come already Di2 ready from manufacturer. If customer will decide to use mechanical groupset, the hole could be just masked with rubber plug.

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

Roadrocket wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:44 pm
Bobbyc123 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:26 pm
Roadrocket wrote:
Bobbyc123 wrote:

thanks for the reply!

No problem mate, If I remember I used 5.5mm drill bit and after drilling I brushed the edges a little with small round rasp. After all of this (which was pretty easy and straight forward job) I just touched the edges with epoxy glue, but I don´t think it was even neccessary to do so.

I doubt this will void the warranty, because it´s supposed to do it for Di2 routing.

The hole won´t crack, there is almost no stress in this area. The place for hole is pre molded and thinned, while the material around the hole is ,,normally´´ thick.

Anyway I don´t know why these frames don´t come already Di2 ready from manufacturer. If customer will decide to use mechanical groupset, the hole could be just masked with rubber plug.
Thanks mate! I'm trying to see if the shop managing my build will be comfortable doing this so hopefully it all goes smoothly. I'll share photos when finished!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com