Bad form to ask retailer to cut steerer tube down when ordering online?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Past 4 bikes bought online for myself and the missus I never thought to do this, but this time I'm considering asking the warehouse guys if they'd do it while setting up the bike. Is it considered bad form? Was thinking to ask them to cut it down and just leave 2cm there.

What you think? Bad form, they're busy enough?

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Depends on the operation I guess, wouldn't hurt to ask. Though I would probably want to be 100% that the bike is coming with the stem you're going to use, and the height is correct for your fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

It's not a hard thing to do. I would do it myself simply for the peace of mind of knowing it was done exactly as I wanted it.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I'd ask, if they can't I'd be fine with it though.
It doesn't hurt to ask, the bike will be checked before dispatch so wouldn't be a huge job.
If the bikes full price or less than 10% off I expect they'd do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ebruner

by Ebruner

I always cut my own. Why risk it not being the right hight?

-Eddi

mattr

by mattr

Depends what you mean by online. A box shifting operation with no proper workshop on site, no chance, less risky to take it to a proper LBS. Or just buy your own tools. A shop that does mail order. I'd ask, and expect to pay a nominal sum.

BRM

by BRM

With a new bike it's best to leave the fork longer with an extra spacer on top. Then after some use when you're absolutely sure you cut to desired length.

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks guys, decided in the end to leave it. I did the other bikes myself and worked out fine. Just usually I ride around all goofy for a couple of weeks until I'm sure of where I want it, so thought them whacking a bit off would have spared me the goofiness :P

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Shrike wrote:Thanks guys, decided in the end to leave it. I did the other bikes myself and worked out fine. Just usually I ride around all goofy for a couple of weeks until I'm sure of where I want it, so thought them whacking a bit off would have spared me the goofiness :P

The part in bold seems kind of important. How would you accomplish that if you were to get the steerer "whacked off" beforehand?

icenutter

by icenutter

I think that's a good call. If you don't like it, or it is damaged when it arrives then you can always send the bike back. But if the steerer is cut then you might have problems...

Shrike

by Shrike

kkibbler wrote:
Shrike wrote:Thanks guys, decided in the end to leave it. I did the other bikes myself and worked out fine. Just usually I ride around all goofy for a couple of weeks until I'm sure of where I want it, so thought them whacking a bit off would have spared me the goofiness :P

The part in bold seems kind of important. How would you accomplish that if you were to get the steerer "whacked off" beforehand?

All my bikes are slammed, but leaving 2 cm would be nice and safe just in case. I've ridden the bike, can't see me leaving more than 5mm on there.

Or did you think I just picked a random number :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

I think your request to have the shop cut it down so there is only 2-3-4 cm extra steerer above the stem is fine. Asking the shop to do this before delivery should be expected. They may send all bikes with 300mm steerers as standard. Having them cut it to 250mm steerer should be fine. For free. Then with just a few centimeters extra steerer on the bike, refine the fit to your liking with spacers and/or stem changes.

Of course having the tools to cut it yourself is not bad either. Its an easy job and maybe less risk of anything going wrong if you do it all yourself. Why trust other people when you do not have to?