Steerer tube too short?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BRM

by BRM

There ALWAYS needs to be a little room between the forktube and the topcap. Its not just recommended but a necessity to do it that way. Otherwise you simply can't adjust it. So what you have is standard and ok.

When using a spacer on top of the stem the tube should be longer, but then the same two milimeters below the topspacer.

BTW When using a topspacer a 3mm one looks much better than a 5 mm. :wink:

But I'm surprised that you come with such a basic question.
You're building a bike, well if you dont know these standard things it's adviced to look up first some vids how to do the things you need to do to pick up the required knowledge and tricks.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

@BRM to be fair to the OP I don't think it's as straight forward as you make-out - refer to the previous answers!

I get the impression the OP would normally extend the steerer through the stem but due to using cut forks from another bike and a headset with a big stack it has created the gap that he's queried.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

@585, thanks, that is exactly the point! :D.

@BRM, as 585 already said, I usually have a 5mm spacer on top of the stem, so that the stem clamps throughout its height & there is still room for preloading the bearings. This is not possible in this case since the fork was cut for a different setup, and I was a bit worried if it is still safe when the stem does not clamp throughout its height. Based on the responses I got, it seems to be safe. By the way and just to clarify, it is not the first bike that I have built and if we ignore the one or two minor instructive mistakes I have made over the years I never had an issue with any of them.

mattr

by mattr

hambini wrote:I'd agree with this. I think one spacer above the stem is the best way, you don't have an area of "nothingness" for the stem to compress against.
TBF once you are more than a handful of mm above the top bolt, there is virtually no clamping load anyway. Unless the stem is massively over built and (probably) 300+ grams.........

Or the other way. The stem is full of massive cut outs, incredibly flexy and needing as much surface as possible to grip.

Either way, this set up won't be a problem.