Canyon Ultimate SLX 8.0 steerer plug adjustment

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

peterpen

by peterpen

Just got a Canyon Ultimate 8.0 SLX and I'm trying to figure out how to drop the steerer plug low enough to use the super long bolt for the top cap. Seems like it might be glued in there? There's a 5mm that loosens the center but plug itself won't budge.

Note that this is the 8.0 with standard stem & headset (not integrated bar/stem.)

TIA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertg

by robertg

Can you post a pic?

peterpen

by peterpen

Will do so tonight, thanks - away from the bike ATM

gdnicoll

by gdnicoll

I have the same bike and just cut the steerer 2 cm shorter. I was able to loosen off the 5mm Allen bolt and then carefully push the plug down 2 cm, using the same Allen key, then tighten up again, all ok.
I have sent an email query to canyon though, because I would like to see some technical information about the plug, particularly the optimal depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nonamed

by nonamed

Please post some photos how the standard stem looks like on new Ultimate.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

peterpen

by peterpen

Yep, Canyon said just to loosen the 5mm, thentap it down gently. You can adjust the height back up if it goes too low by simple leaving the 5mm loose and tightening via the top tap bolt, which will pull the plug upward.

I'm going to source a shorter top cap bolt, which should allow the plug to be at same height as both stem bolts.

gdnicoll wrote:I have the same bike and just cut the steerer 2 cm shorter. I was able to loosen off the 5mm Allen bolt and then carefully push the plug down 2 cm, using the same Allen key, then tighten up again, all ok.
I have sent an email query to canyon though, because I would like to see some technical information about the plug, particularly the optimal depth.

gdnicoll

by gdnicoll

ImageImageImage

Does anyone know how those o-rings are intended to be used?

gdnicoll

by gdnicoll

Good tip for getting it out, was wondering about that!

peterpen wrote:Yep, Canyon said just to loosen the 5mm, thentap it down gently. You can adjust the height back up if it goes too low by simple leaving the 5mm loose and tightening via the top tap bolt, which will pull the plug upward.

I'm going to source a shorter top cap bolt, which should allow the plug to be at same height as both stem bolts.

nonamed

by nonamed

gdnicoll wrote:Image

Does anyone know how those o-rings are intended to be used?

This is Ultimate from 2016 ?

gdnicoll

by gdnicoll

Yes, 2016/17 model year. Cf slx 8.0 di2. The acros "the clamp" that was used on the previous model generation is no longer used. Now a much more typical headset. Also the headset bearings are no longer pressed into the head tube, they now lift out by hand. Hurrah.

nonamed

by nonamed

gdnicoll wrote:Yes, 2016/17 model year. Cf slx 8.0 di2. The acros "the clamp" that was used on the previous model generation is no longer used. Now a much more typical headset. Also the headset bearings are no longer pressed into the head tube, they now lift out by hand. Hurrah.

Thanks for info.
I thought the headset cover (under the stem) on Ultimate 2016/17 has different shape (not round like Yours) but more oval.

I saw it here (on Canyon page):

Does Canyon provide different covers/spacers with Ultimate? :?

Whats size of Your frame and Your height also? :)

gdnicoll

by gdnicoll

Good spotting and I can't explain the difference.
I have a medium frame, swapped the stem to 110 mm, and am 180 cm. A very good fit. Cheers.

nonamed

by nonamed

gdnicoll wrote:Good spotting and I can't explain the difference.
I have a medium frame, swapped the stem to 110 mm, and am 180 cm. A very good fit. Cheers.

Size dillema here . I am 178cm with 83.5cm inseam. And as always.. between S and M size frame according to Canyon.
Cannot decide.

Do You know Your saddle height and Inseam?
Last edited by nonamed on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

dondomingo

by dondomingo

nonamed wrote:
gdnicoll wrote:Good spotting and I can't explain the difference.

Size dillema here . I am 178cm with 83.5cm inseam. And as always.. between S and M size frame according to Canyon.
Cannot decide.

My dad is the same. He rides M.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

For the life of me, I can't move the steerer plug up. It seems stuck there. Any suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com