TechFlex as bar tape experiment

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

This discussion originally started here:
need grippy material suggestion

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

I decided to start a new topic so as not to derail the OP's thread.

It started off with Prendrefeu's suggestion to use TechFlex heatshrink fabric material as grippy material for handlebar tops. The material intrigued me because it is one contiguous tube of fabric that can be shrunk down onto the handlebar. I seem to have a talent for unwinding conventional spiral wound bar tape no matter how well wrapped the bar is. A contiguous tube of fabric should be impossible to unwind, theoretically. Thus, the experiment starts:

I wanted to have the length of TechFlex run as one continuous piece all the way from above the brifters down to the end of the handlebar. To do this, the clamp screw and cable housings would have to poke through holes in the TechFlex.

In order to do this, some way of marking the TechFlex with hole locations was needed. This was achieved with a template and red liquid electrical tape.

The clamp was inserted into the TechFlex first.

And then slid onto the handlebar. Spray adhesive was applied on the handlebar so the TechFlex, once shrunk, would not rotate around the handlebar. The end result is this.

I have not ridden it yet. I hope it lasts a long time. Having to go through all this work to replace the wrap on the bar is not something I want to do too frequently.
Last edited by WannabeWeenie on Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Very interesting. No wrinkles at the bends? And how much does it weigh :D

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

On my bars, there isn't that much tape on there. The weight saving has been minimal. [emoji52]

Original LizardSkins bar tape:

TechFlex:
Last edited by WannabeWeenie on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

DonW

by DonW

Cool experiment -- hope it stays on.
I can't see myself doing this for any other reason than it not unwinding, or if the grip/feel is really worth that much trouble!

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

Yeah. The only reason I did this was because of the unwinding.

F45

by F45

Interesting, keep us posted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

Observations after 10 rides on the trainer:

1. FlexTech provides better grip for hands that are wet with sweat than my old LizardSkins bar tape.

2. FlexTech is pretty thin and does not build up a bar as much as regular bar tape. This may be problematic for people with large hands.

3. There are no signs of wear but I would not expect to see any after only ten rides on a stationary trainer.