S5 frame weight & lightish S5 builds

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Struggling to find the weight of the S5 frame and frame set weight in size 54. Also are there any reasonably light S5 builds around 7kg or under on the forum?

Thinking seriously of getting one this week but part of me also would love a lighter bike than my Infinito CV. Lighter and more aero would be cool. Seatpost and fork on the S5 carries a lot of heft I'm guessing?

1415chris

by 1415chris

58 is around 1080g, uncut fork 357g, that's in total 300g more than 58 R5 vwd, which I managed to finish within 5700g, with few compromises (aluminium cassette and powercordz cables).
So you can build S5 below 7kg quite easily.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks!

Was just looking at this build of yours actually, really dreamy! Congrats. How does it ride, in all honesty. Warts and all?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

With all due respect, I would like to disagree with the above...

The new S5 (2015 onwards) is by no means easy to get under 7kg in a 56 or above.

I have spent a fortune on mine and it's pretty much at 7kg on the nose (with cages and pedals). Mine is a full aero road bike with 404s and aero cockpit.

Only things I could change are the wheels, stem and brakes (without going into tuning components). My Zipps came in at 1670g, I could maybe save 100g with Enve 4.5s, but that's going to cost me a fortune... Tubs are not an option for me.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Delorre

by Delorre

ryanw wrote:With all due respect, I would like to disagree with the above...

The new S5 (2015 onwards) is by no means easy to get under 7kg in a 56 or above.

I have spent a fortune on mine and it's pretty much at 7kg on the nose (with cages and pedals). Mine is a full aero road bike with 404s and aero cockpit.

Only things I could change are the wheels, stem and brakes (without going into tuning components). My Zipps came in at 1670g, I could maybe save 100g with Enve 4.5s, but that's going to cost me a fortune... Tubs are not an option for me.

Fulcrum speed 40 are around 1470g and a lot cheaper than Enve, Zipp and co :wink:

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Delorre wrote:

Fulcrum speed 40 are around 1470g and a lot cheaper than Enve, Zipp and co :wink:

Actual weight is 1,420g, but they're only 40mm deep.

Also for me, not in the same league even though they're fantastic wheels, Fulcrums just aren't special.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

ryanw wrote:
Delorre wrote:

Also for me, not in the same league even though they're fantastic wheels, Fulcrums just aren't special.

And you think zipps are? :lol:

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Nejmann wrote:
ryanw wrote:
Delorre wrote:

Yes I do, I think they're up there with the best made and performaning wheels of modern cycling history... But please do tell me about the world ending hub recalls.

Shrike

by Shrike

Are you guys riding your S5's as your main bike, daily bike?

Wondering how it is to live with..

RyanH

by RyanH

I was a hair above 6kg with my Scott Foil and I didn't really have anything exotic on it, I think a S5 is definitely doable as long as you're not going to have constraints about a bunch of things. THM M3 SRM is probably almost 200g lighter than p2m of any flavor (get Cannondale rings to save weight). Fibulas are 40g lighter than EE. Reynolds RZRs are 700g lighter than ryanw's Zipps. 3T Aeronovas are sub 200g, so about 70g lighter than the Cervelo bars. Ryanw used an fsa stem, but an mcfk would drop 50g. Bonding the two would drop another 10 plus make it stiffer. ETap should be lighter than Di2. At least use a Red Cassette. Dash seat post combo or send it to berk should save at least another 100g. Replace hardware where possible with Ti.

wingguy

by wingguy

You're contradicting yourself though aren't you? When you've gone aero for every component that has an aero option you can't really say you've tried to build a light bike.

When GCN weighed a bunch of pro bikes in full aero mode at an Arabian race last spring one of the DiData S5s (Cummings' I think?) was just shy of being the lightest one there.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

ryanw wrote:
Nejmann wrote:
ryanw wrote:
Delorre wrote:

Yes I do, I think they're up there with the best made and performaning wheels of modern cycling history... But please do tell me about the world ending hub recalls.

I would agree with you 5 years ago. But not today. They are to heavy compared to campagnolo ultras, enve and lightweights etc. And I have a spare pair of 404's.

DaReef

by DaReef

Boyd wheels built up with moderately light hubs will be significantly cheaper than Enve and Zipp as well as lighter. I have a set of Boyd's and 404NSWs. While I love the cognition hub on the NSWs, the Boyd's are probably ~ 97% the performance for a lot less.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

My S5 was 6.3kg when for fun I slapped my 1kg Farsports tubs on it. Sure, full aero 60+mm deep clinchers will be significantly more heavy, but should be quite easy under 7kg, and moreso if following RyanH's suggestions.

P.S. Etap isn't lighter than Di2 for size 54 (if counting FD + RD + e-wires + batteries). Di2 9070 "minigroup" weighs 648g (on my scales), Etap - 665g (taken from separately weighed components with pictures online)
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Shrike wrote:Are you guys riding your S5's as your main bike, daily bike?

Wondering how it is to live with..

I've commuted on it for a week and it was fine, but it's my 'best bike' and only really used on weekends. I have a CAAD12 disc for a commuter.