New Campy 10s ... These days?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Hello, I ride a 1976 Colnago Super with modern setup 10s (Chorus/Athena mix).

The 11s are dominant now and the 10s are cheaper. Buy a SR or R 10s and complete the bike (which is complete as it is if we are serious) or since the market moves in 11s it may be a bad investment?

The frame is pristine the groupset will be top ... So why no buy a 10s?

I am doing weekend rides and audaxes

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

No reason why not to buy a 10 speed groupset since you accept that 10s spare parts and components are much harder to find.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c50jim

by c50jim

I had a mixed inventory until this year when I decided that 11 speed worked as well as 10 and it's easier to get parts. If you're happy with your bike as it is, ride the 10 speed but maybe pick up a few spare parts while they're still available. My adult sons both have 10 speed bikes so I have a few chains, a couple of cassettes and a new rear Record rear derailleur. Once those are gone, I guess they'll move to 11 speed since parts are getting harder to find. Yes, Veloce is still out there and OK for chains and cassettes but replacing shifters and derailleurs is getting harder.

We were in Italy this summer and my son broke his Record 10 chain. His Record bike now has a Veloce chain because that's all we could get. Works fine (as do all the Veloce parts I've used) and who looks at chains?

Slimtim

by Slimtim

Until quite recently, I was running bikes with 8, 10 and 11 Campagnolo. It was clearly time to pick one standard and I've decided to go for 10 speed. My Ti WW bike has 10 speed Record with an 11 speed chainset and Ciamillo Negative G brakes. My Columbus Max custom steel bike is running full 10 speed Chorus and my steel commuter is on 10 speed Centaur.

Why go for 10 speed? The main reason for me is the quality of the shifting - I just couldn't get on with the feel of the 11 speed (Chorus in my case). In many other ways, it doesn't really make sense but there still seem to be many 10 speed parts available and KMC's lightweight chains are excellent.

If my 10 speed kit wears out (and can't be serviced and repaired - one of the beauties of Campagnolo is that they are very serviceable) and I can't get replacement parts then I'll probably migrate to an electronic groupset. My expectation though is that, based on that fact that my 8 speed kit is still running perfectly, my Campagnolo 10 speed will outline me.

kgt

by kgt

The truth is that if one takes care of his groupset, set it and service it as he should then it may last for decades.

BRM

by BRM

Why would you replace a good working Chorus/Athena mix on that bike anyway?

dj97223

by dj97223

Lots of 10S stuff still out there. 9S, too.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

RussellS

by RussellS

kgt wrote:The truth is that if one takes care of his groupset, set it and service it as he should then it may last for decades.

True. I have three Campagnolo 9 speed bikes and one 10 speed. I doubt I would ever wear any of them out. Might break a part if I wreck. But I consider wrecks differently than wearing a part out. Cassettes, chains, rings should be available forever. Apart from crashes, I am sure those bikes will continue to work perfectly until I die. Hopefully more than a few decades from now.

BRM

by BRM

Yeah but lets say you have an early Chorus 9-speed and crash the RD. Then you have a prob.
Hard to find a good 9-speed RD for a normal price. Newer ones have a diff cablepull. Nothing is forever. . . .

Lets focus on the Original question.

When having buckets of money to spoil, you just buy what you want but . . .
The TS is writing about saving money and therefore he's interested in 10-speed.
Important question here is: WHY should you change the current mix when it works perfect?
Wasted money to buy a new group, imo.
Keep the money for a future bike.

:wink:

claus

by claus

RussellS wrote:I have three Campagnolo 9 speed bikes and one 10 speed. I doubt I would ever wear any of them out.

You don't wear out the G springs in the (rear) shifters?

RussellS

by RussellS

claus wrote:
RussellS wrote:I have three Campagnolo 9 speed bikes and one 10 speed. I doubt I would ever wear any of them out.

You don't wear out the G springs in the (rear) shifters?

I replaced the piece that breaks in the first 9 speed Chorus shifters. It was aluminum, cast I think, not the newer carbon, plastic replacement piece. Long ago it was a very common problem to have this piece break. Bike still shifted with this broken piece, just not too well. This was back in 1999-2000 period.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Thank you guys. I'll keep the groupset as it is.

I kept the money and bught a pair of Neutron Ultras with 30% discount. ... which are compatible with 10/11s. Bike is now pretty much perfect.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using Tapatalk