Tuning BTP shifters for Red 22

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I'm on Red 22 and the recesses for shifter clamps is pretty much the opposite shape of the BTP shifter clamps I owned prior to moving to 11 speed, which are widest at the bolt. I put them for sale, but I'm contemplating not doing so if a realistic solition can be found to use them.

Do you gents think the clamps would maintain their integrity if I filed them down narrow enough near the bolt to fit in? I'm thinking I'd want to also build up the width of the band on the other side to "pack" the gap on the shifter body. My dad has a good relationship with HQ Fibre just outside Norwich, who could possibly help with this part of the process.

Any thoughts/considerations? Should I just butcher the Sram Ti clamps instead?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2old4this

by 2old4this

I'd say don't bother. When BTP came out with those clamps, their lightness was "cool". However, their lightness also looked too fragile, which I did not feel too comfortable using at a serious potential fail-point.
If you have SRAM, just but TI clamps from Schmolke, they are 12 grams for the pair.
For Campy and Shimano, they also have carbon ones (8 gr/pair), which look a little better made than BTP ones (and no, I still don't use them...)

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have the tune clamps, which are similar. I dremeled the shifter body out until they fit snug. Done several thousand k's and they've been rock steady. I had similar concerns as 2old4this, but they have not given me any grief and now i don't worry about it.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I had no issues with BTP, but don't own or have the confidence to dremel my shifters. I went ahead and bought the Schmolke ti clamps for Sram (I also bought myself some of their bar plugs as a xmas treat and probably a 1g weight saving over plastic). I will try a cutout like with the DA9000 to save some extra weight. It appears they come without bolts. Do you guys think al would be ok for the bolts or should I go ti (I'm 80kg)? I'll post scale shots of the clamps for those who are interested after arrival.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

2old4this wrote:I'd say don't bother. When BTP came out with those clamps, their lightness was "cool". However, their lightness also looked too fragile, which I did not feel too comfortable using at a serious potential fail-point.
If you have SRAM, just but TI clamps from Schmolke, they are 12 grams for the pair.
For Campy and Shimano, they also have carbon ones (8 gr/pair), which look a little better made than BTP ones (and no, I still don't use them...)

I guess looks can be deceiving. I've been on my btp/tune clamps longer than I can keep track of.
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I bought them directly from the Schmolke website. I did see them on either r2 or Bike24, but not in 24mm diameter, only in 27mm (for the Fullover bars). I believe they're a fairly new product, and distribution seems a bit scarce at the moment, in fact I got the following in an email after ordering:

Thank you for your order. The Titanium shifter clamps are currently in production and we expect to send them to you by January 16th.

They appear to be for current Red judging by look, not sure what compatibility is for their titan or carbon clamps on 10 speed Red.

Although I have used the BTP shifter clamps on Shimano and liked them, I decided not to attempt to dremel my Red shifters. I suspect there will be some interest in the titan clamps for others who have either don't have a dremel (and the skills), or for those with the same reservations as 2old4this.

Will provide further info when I have it.