S2-system on Campagnolo front derailleur

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

Does anybody have experience with the S2 system on a Campy front derailleur? Does it really give any more stability?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Herb5998

by Herb5998

I've got one on my Serotta, the FD comes with a frame protector, and the S2 arm is adjusted against the frame after the FD is set up. Very fast and consistent shifting, more so than my pre-2015 campag gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Daniel1975 wrote:Does anybody have experience with the S2 system on a Campy front derailleur? Does it really give any more stability?

As the main Campagnolo Service Centre, we've built or worked on quite a few bikes where the S2 system has been indicated by the flexibility of the FD mounting - in every case it's stabilised the FD sufficiently to allow "to spec" shifting where without, I'd have described the shifting as "barely adequate". Since there is no price penalty for S2 and only the tiniest of weight penalties, we now fit S2 FDs as a matter of course in-house at Velotech when asked to assemble bikes for demonstration purposes - all it a case of "belt and braces".
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

graeme_f_k wrote:
Daniel1975 wrote:Does anybody have experience with the S2 system on a Campy front derailleur? Does it really give any more stability?

As the main Campagnolo Service Centre, we've built or worked on quite a few bikes where the S2 system has been indicated by the flexibility of the FD mounting - in every case it's stabilised the FD sufficiently to allow "to spec" shifting where without, I'd have described the shifting as "barely adequate". Since there is no price penalty for S2 and only the tiniest of weight penalties, we now fit S2 FDs as a matter of course in-house at Velotech when asked to assemble bikes for demonstration purposes - all it a case of "belt and braces".

Ok, thnx.
To bad it doesn't work with a 2011 SR groupset, so I have to change everything.

Attermann

by Attermann

i got a shimano 5800 105 front derraileur to work with a 5700 shifter, so why not?

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

Cable pull changed in 2015 because of different front derailleur. So 2011 cable pull is to short.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Daniel1975 wrote:
graeme_f_k wrote:

Ok, thnx.
To bad it doesn't work with a 2011 SR groupset, so I have to change everything.

I hesitate (as ever) to suggest modifying parts outside of spec but you might want to consider drilling and helicoiling the top of the FD body in the same place as a SR with a 4mm threaded hole (best to helicoil or the thread might pull out with enough torque applied to it) and make up a small piece like the S2 fitting on a 2015 FD.

It's no more radical a solution, really, than drilling the rivets out of the fittings on your frame and using a clamp on a tube not really designed to be clamped ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

Lol,modifying a FD is only a €80,- risk ;-)

Herb5998

by Herb5998

I would say run the 2015 S2 with pre 2015 shifter. I've got that setup on my Serotta, due to the 2015 record Left shifter getting damaged in transit. It shifts fine, provided you use the right tension with the inline adjuster.

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

Ok, thnx. I cannot find much information about pre-2015 shifters with 2015 FD's.
But I think i'll try.

em3

by em3

...YES, 2015+ front mech will work absolutely fine with 2009-14 11 speed cranks/chainrings and 11 speed levers (I have verified)l. You wont be able to experience the two-stage downshift built in to new 2015+ left lever, which essentially guarantees you will never drop a chain, but it will still work fine. EM3

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

I can confirm it works perfect. Easy to install, easy to adjust.
Works very well and problem fixed.

Sleepless

by Sleepless

I'm trying to install a S2 SR derailleur on a C60 frame with SR 50-34 chainset. S2 arm rests on the braze-on screw, not the frame and because of that it's not possible to align derailleur parallel to the adjustment tool. Is this normal?

Edit: OK, I got it adjusted but the mini arm is still not close to the frame.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Sleepless: the brazeon tab is steel, super strong and the seattube at that point is also super strong. It does not flex. As such, you don't need the S2 arm at all. In fact, although I have an S2 front derailleur on my C59, I took the support arm off and don't use it. On my C60 I use a non S2 front derailleur. Little cleaner look and you just don't need any added stiffness there. I meant to talk about that in my C60 Build thread but I haven't got to it yet. That was next. I need to finish that thing and throw up some more pics.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sleepless

by Sleepless

Thanks Calnago. I bought S2 version just to be sure. It doesn't provide any added stiffness right now as the arm is not supporting anything and if I don't need it then I'm happy to remove it. :)