which carbon bottlecage would you choose between these two?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

garjo

by garjo

Hello,
I'm looking for a new couple of carbon bottle cages (10gr. or less, but not too much expensive), on ebay I've found two interesting models:
First one is 10 grams, lightly more expensive than 2nd one, with recessed holes for bolt heads and/or for countersounk-head bolts (so no bottles will be scratched by head of bolts).
The second one is lighter being 6,5/7grams, with a better shape, but with no recessed holes so looks like bottles could be scratched by the heads of two bolts.

Any feedback of any of them? which one would you buy?
Last edited by garjo on Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

evan326

by evan326

If you're just asking my opinion: 1st one
Never used either though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

I'd be worried about the bottle being ejected if you hit s bump.

I have Bontrager XXX @ 19 grams and never lost a bottle jet.

darnellrm

by darnellrm

For a show bike, go with the second one. If you plan to ride the bike, I'd buy the first 10g ones.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

First one. Second looks like a POS...
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

kode54

by kode54

agree on first one. looks like its a better made one.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I'm guessing these are cheap ebay cages? At those (claimed) weights I'd guess the 2nd will be very flexy especially as the design isn't fully closed. Agree the first option looks more reliable.

Sorry if off topic, but if I was in the market I'd be considering spending the extra £ on Tune Wassertrager 2.0, Carbonworks or BTPs, which can still be found if you look hard enough.

garjo

by garjo

4ibanez wrote:I'm guessing these are cheap ebay cages? At those (claimed) weights I'd guess the 2nd will be very flexy especially as the design isn't fully closed. Agree the first option looks more reliable.

Sorry if off topic, but if I was in the market I'd be considering spending the extra £ on Tune Wassertrager 2.0, Carbonworks or BTPs, which can still be found if you look hard enough.

The 1st one costs €30
The 2nd one €25: yes, it looks flexy because has an open shape but who knows if it's enough stiff, for me its main lack is the non -recessed hole for bolt head.

Tune wassentrager 2.0 and Carbonworks bottle cages cost around 60 euros each one..

3Pio

by 3Pio

garjo wrote:
4ibanez wrote:I'm guessing these are cheap ebay cages? At those (claimed) weights I'd guess the 2nd will be very flexy especially as the design isn't fully closed. Agree the first option looks more reliable.

The 1st one costs €30
The 2nd one €25: yes, it looks flexy because has an open shape but who knows if it's enough stiff, for me its main lack is the non -recessed hole for bolt head.

Tune wassentrager 2.0 and Carbonworks bottle cages cost around 60 euros each one..

U can have Tune Wassentragger 2.0 including the Bottle for 38 EUR without tax or 45 EUR with tax included from Bike-Components, which i recommend based on my orders until now and high satisfaction level i have(only one small issue until now,which was maybe problem of posting service and not their, but fixed it promptly, and help me a lot in decision or service, even more then needed).

https://www.bike-components.de/en/tune/ ... et-p41034/

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Garjo, yes there appears to be no recess in the cage for a countersunk bolt with option 2. May make entry and exit a bit bumpy. At "only" €25 you could always experiment.

garjo

by garjo

on this video they prove the stiffness of the 2nd bottle cage, shaking up and down the bike with a bottle on it, looks like it works..
https://youtu.be/Bcxw8y47siQ

BRM

by BRM

That second one looks terrible, like it survived a fire . . . :?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Bought the first one from aliexpress - had to file the shit out of it especially the underside of the cross to fit the bottle in or remove it. Now it works OK and it's really light ha, but you'll have to see if it's worth your time modifying it.

DaReef

by DaReef

Also consider if getting the bottle back in is important to you. I am happy to give up a few grams to get the bottle back in with little effort.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I have the first one.

The inner diameter is a bit smaller than my old bottle cage. I can't remember exactly what it is but around 72mm.

The cage is somewhat oval shaped. Not exactly round. The bolt to "x" joint diameter is the shortest.

Without modification it does not really grab your bottle. The bottle is still moving around.

One pro is that it goes around the whole bottle and thus avoids the bottle to eject at a bump. The negative side of this is that it has no built in tension on the bottle and thus doesnt allow any range when it comes to the bottle diameter. That means your current bottles might not fit the cage. Being carbon and very light and thin it's very brittle and rigid.

I glued an epdm piece at the "x" part. It helps to make my non-standard bottle fit snugly but still possible to insert/remove without difficulty.

Also if the bottle is just a tiny bit too small it falls out the bottom because the bottom tab is very small. I put another piece of epdm on that tab to dampen the rattling. Now things stay where they are supposed to stay and quiet.

You basically need to find the perfect bottle and then the cage works nice and reliably.

I have seen many of the 9g version in the second hand market. I think people buy them expecting them to be standard and get disappointed. I don't use standard bottles so I'm ok.