Dura Ace Di2; Green Light System Freeze...?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goodboyr

by goodboyr

wheelsONfire wrote:We will damage a battery if we are not using a in wall adapter with resistors (check output voltage).
It must match the output from a PC.
A wall outlet has much more juice than through a PC usb port.
It has nothing to do with quality of the charging is better in a PC usb over the outlet.

Nope.....thats not what the shimano document says, and its not my experience. It works just fine with the usb power supply I listed previously. Here is the quote from the shimano docs for the battery charger:

• Use an AC adapter with a USB port with a voltage of 5.0 Vdc and with a current
equal to or higher than 1.0 Adc. If the one with a current lower than 1.0 Adc is
used, a charge error may occur or the AC adapter may heat up, leading to a fire

As already discussed, you just need to make sure the adapter or power supply is usb, and greater than 1 amp.

Here is the full doc with all the cautions, etc.

http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/um/UM-7FJ0A-003-00-ENG.pdf

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Hey,

Yeah, I have been out the last two days on 100km, and 140km rides, and the shifting has been perfect both days (well, apart from missing shifts because my fingers have been shaking so much in the cold...lolz).

Ultegra 6870 vs. Dura Ace 9070 front mech, observations;

-9070 seems to give more of a solid shift, if that makes sense. Ultegra is very good, of course, but it doesn't seem as powerful.
-6870 takes slightly longer to auto-trim when shifting about on the rear, and also when downshifting it takes a bit longer to auto-trim if done in combination with a shift up the cassette, to the largest cog.
-6870 cage is more 'basic' with none of the 3D design that the 9070 has. This is perhaps where the difference in shifting feel comes from.
-Not sure if this is specific to me, or what it really means exactly, but the 6870 front mech needed to be adjusted out to +9 to be at the same position that my now-dead 9070 was, at +2.
-The 6870 doesn't have a screw on the cage to open it, meaning you have to split your chain to get the mech off (or use a split link). Bit of a pisser that, as it meant I had to split my chain to install, and now have 2 pins in my chain. Not a massive issue, but they could have put a screw in there, like 9070.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

goodboyr wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:We will damage a battery if we are not using a in wall adapter with resistors (check output voltage).
It must match the output from a PC.
A wall outlet has much more juice than through a PC usb port.
It has nothing to do with quality of the charging is better in a PC usb over the outlet.

Nope.....thats not what the shimano document says, and its not my experience. It works just fine with the usb power supply I listed previously. Here is the quote from the shimano docs for the battery charger:

• Use an AC adapter with a USB port with a voltage of 5.0 Vdc and with a current
equal to or higher than 1.0 Adc. If the one with a current lower than 1.0 Adc is
used, a charge error may occur or the AC adapter may heat up, leading to a fire

As already discussed, you just need to make sure the adapter or power supply is usb, and greater than 1 amp.

Here is the full doc with all the cautions, etc.

http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/um/UM-7FJ0A-003-00-ENG.pdf

Wall outlet is AC and the USB port is DC (maximum 5 volt, i was told).
I don't know why my battery got damaged, but i talked to an electrican and he told me i would have needed some converter between the charger and the outlet.
I charged my battery in wall at two occasions. Suddenly my battery was damaged.
I have not really dived deeper into this subject.
But i would not plug my charger and battery directly to outlet again.
I've seen we can buy a switched AC-DC adapter with settings 5/6/7,5/9/12/13,5/15V.
• 13.5-15V DC / 2.4A output
• 5-12V DC / 3A output
• 36W max

I did not use such adapter and i think it was because of this my batteries fuel cell was damaged.
Even fully charged, it totally could not handle when under load.
Shimano dealer here also told me there is sensitive electronics inside the battery.
Part from just being a battery.

I posted this experience just to avoid anyone else have this issue.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

TheDarkInstall wrote:Hey,

Yeah, I have been out the last two days on 100km, and 140km rides, and the shifting has been perfect both days (well, apart from missing shifts because my fingers have been shaking so much in the cold...lolz).

Ultegra 6870 vs. Dura Ace 9070 front mech, observations;

-9070 seems to give more of a solid shift, if that makes sense. Ultegra is very good, of course, but it doesn't seem as powerful.
-6870 takes slightly longer to auto-trim when shifting about on the rear, and also when downshifting it takes a bit longer to auto-trim if done in combination with a shift up the cassette, to the largest cog.
-6870 cage is more 'basic' with none of the 3D design that the 9070 has. This is perhaps where the difference in shifting feel comes from.
-Not sure if this is specific to me, or what it really means exactly, but the 6870 front mech needed to be adjusted out to +9 to be at the same position that my now-dead 9070 was, at +2.
-The 6870 doesn't have a screw on the cage to open it, meaning you have to split your chain to get the mech off (or use a split link). Bit of a pisser that, as it meant I had to split my chain to install, and now have 2 pins in my chain. Not a massive issue, but they could have put a screw in there, like 9070.

I have never used +9 at my UL 6870.
I don't know if it has to do with what BB you have?
I have the wide BB 386EVO (Open Cycle UP).

I was also told, the servo inside UL and DA is actually same and battery is also same.
So in theory, none of them should be stronger or weaker?

I still wonder how 9150 will be differnt compared to forthcoming UL.
Just looking at shifters, now it seems DA has it's own 9100 series shifters (9150 mech/9170 hyd) name instead of 785 which is used for both 9070 and 6870.
Frankly it seems the 6870 is best price/ ratio now.
9170 is crazy expensive!
Off topic for road bikers perhaps, but Sram Etap FD has no battery clearance for gravel bike tires over 34-35mm.
I currently ride 42mm tires which almost gnaw my seatmast tube at my UP.
The clearance to UL FD, is better than the frames clearance.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

TheDarkInstall wrote:-The 6870 doesn't have a screw on the cage to open it, meaning you have to split your chain to get the mech off (or use a split link). Bit of a pisser that, as it meant I had to split my chain to install, and now have 2 pins in my chain. Not a massive issue, but they could have put a screw in there, like 9070.

Do yourself a big favor and get some KMC 11sp Missing Link quicklinks and use one of them to connect the chain. Very durable and very easy to get the chain on and off for cleaning or whatever else.

glepore

by glepore

^+1. Make sure they're real-tons of fakes on ali and ebay.

I can't believe that there's not some sort of overvoltage prevention in the interface.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Not sure I understand. It accepts USB standard input. That's 5 volts, period.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Just connect the SM-BCR2 through a mobile phone charger, most of them are rated at 5V/1A at output.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

BdaGhisallo wrote:
TheDarkInstall wrote:-The 6870 doesn't have a screw on the cage to open it, meaning you have to split your chain to get the mech off (or use a split link). Bit of a pisser that, as it meant I had to split my chain to install, and now have 2 pins in my chain. Not a massive issue, but they could have put a screw in there, like 9070.

Do yourself a big favor and get some KMC 11sp Missing Link quicklinks and use one of them to connect the chain. Very durable and very easy to get the chain on and off for cleaning or whatever else.

Shimano now make an official Dura Ace split link, which I am waiting to arrive. :)