Dura Ace 9100 Mechanical let down . .

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

As a user of Campy SR, I was going to try the new Dura Ace on another build, but after riding SR and making a lot of used of the multi-shift functions, and its ability to shift up three/down five in one swipe of the shifter, I can't accept less. It's hard to conceive how Shimano dropped the ball on this release. Does anyone else find this a deal breaker? One downshift at at time? That just sucks, as with SR I can navigate my gears as fast as an electric drivetrain.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

And yes.. SR wears down its internals 3X as fast as well??

That's definitely a deal breaker for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

caad4rep

by caad4rep

I've never used SR but had Chorus on my road bike the past 3 years and also use DA7900 on my CX bike and now DA9000 on a new road bike. I really liked the multi-shift on Chorus but maybe just because it sounded cool clunking through 4 gears at the crest of a hill...At the same time, I've probably accidentally shifted two gears instead of 1 more times than I actually needed multi gears. I think I can get through DA gears just as quick with quick taps on the little lever. DA has a smoother, less mechanical shifting action which can be nice but at times it's almost too light.

To answer your question, it's definitely not a deal breaker for me. Both systems do what they are supposed to do and I don't find one better than the other.

tommasini

by tommasini

maxxevv wrote:And yes.. SR wears down its internals 3X as fast as well??

Oh shit here we go again :doh:

BTW - 11 speed Campy from 2009 and on (8 years) doesn't need the periodic spring replacements..........

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

caad4rep wrote:I've never used SR but had Chorus on my road bike the past 3 years and also use DA7900 on my CX bike and now DA9000 on a new road bike. I really liked the multi-shift on Chorus but maybe just because it sounded cool clunking through 4 gears at the crest of a hill...At the same time, I've probably accidentally shifted two gears instead of 1 more times than I actually needed multi gears. I think I can get through DA gears just as quick with quick taps on the little lever. DA has a smoother, less mechanical shifting action which can be nice but at times it's almost too light.

My experience is exactly the same as yours. I appreciate the multiple dumping of gears especially as I'm changing on the front derailleur to compensate for the change, but it's also reasonably often that I accidentally go two shifts up when I only intend one. I have not tried any of the Powershift levers which only allow one downshift at a time, but I cannot imagine it being much of a compromise for me, especially with the newer Potenza/Veloce levers having the lower thumb position.

Because the Shimano levers have quite a light action for the downshift on the right lever, doing a few short clicks has never bothered me.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

tommasini wrote:
maxxevv wrote:And yes.. SR wears down its internals 3X as fast as well??

Oh shit here we go again :doh:

BTW - 11 speed Campy from 2009 and on (8 years) doesn't need the periodic spring replacements..........

LOL . . . Someone always "goes there" don't they?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Ya, but neither are wireless, so what's the point?