Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:52 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:26 am 

As a user of Campy SR, I was going to try the new Dura Ace on another build, but after riding SR and making a lot of used of the multi-shift functions, and its ability to shift up three/down five in one swipe of the shifter, I can't accept less. It's hard to conceive how Shimano dropped the ball on this release. Does anyone else find this a deal breaker? One downshift at at time? That just sucks, as with SR I can navigate my gears as fast as an electric drivetrain.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:26 am 
  • Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 groupset 2/11-speed mechanical Road with rim brakes
  • from 1830 EUR
  • Price includes 19% V.A.T. which will be deducted when goods are leaving the EU. Shipping costs may be added.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:45 am 

And yes.. SR wears down its internals 3X as fast as well??

That's definitely a deal breaker for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:26 am 

I've never used SR but had Chorus on my road bike the past 3 years and also use DA7900 on my CX bike and now DA9000 on a new road bike. I really liked the multi-shift on Chorus but maybe just because it sounded cool clunking through 4 gears at the crest of a hill...At the same time, I've probably accidentally shifted two gears instead of 1 more times than I actually needed multi gears. I think I can get through DA gears just as quick with quick taps on the little lever. DA has a smoother, less mechanical shifting action which can be nice but at times it's almost too light.

To answer your question, it's definitely not a deal breaker for me. Both systems do what they are supposed to do and I don't find one better than the other.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:40 am 

maxxevv wrote:

Oh shit here we go again :doh:

BTW - 11 speed Campy from 2009 and on (8 years) doesn't need the periodic spring replacements..........

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:16 am 

caad4rep wrote:
I've never used SR but had Chorus on my road bike the past 3 years and also use DA7900 on my CX bike and now DA9000 on a new road bike. I really liked the multi-shift on Chorus but maybe just because it sounded cool clunking through 4 gears at the crest of a hill...At the same time, I've probably accidentally shifted two gears instead of 1 more times than I actually needed multi gears. I think I can get through DA gears just as quick with quick taps on the little lever. DA has a smoother, less mechanical shifting action which can be nice but at times it's almost too light.

My experience is exactly the same as yours. I appreciate the multiple dumping of gears especially as I'm changing on the front derailleur to compensate for the change, but it's also reasonably often that I accidentally go two shifts up when I only intend one. I have not tried any of the Powershift levers which only allow one downshift at a time, but I cannot imagine it being much of a compromise for me, especially with the newer Potenza/Veloce levers having the lower thumb position.

Because the Shimano levers have quite a light action for the downshift on the right lever, doing a few short clicks has never bothered me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:40 am 

tommasini wrote:
maxxevv wrote:

Oh shit here we go again :doh:

BTW - 11 speed Campy from 2009 and on (8 years) doesn't need the periodic spring replacements..........

LOL . . . Someone always "goes there" don't they?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:36 am 

Ya, but neither are wireless, so what's the point?

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:36 am 
  • Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 groupset 2/11-speed mechanical Road with rim brakes
  • from 1830 EUR
  • Price includes 19% V.A.T. which will be deducted when goods are leaving the EU. Shipping costs may be added.