Frame recomendation...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alpinestar

by alpinestar

Hi

I am playing with the idea of changing my Cervelo S2 frameset. Mostly because I would like a bit more tire clerance (25s rubs on the chainstays when standing up), the fidelyness of the internal cabling and lust for something new ;c
I live in Denmark where its flat, so aero is a prio over weight for me. But still I do love a vertical toptube. :) I will be transfering my campag 11 speed record and 3T components plus my china 50mm wheels.

Some frames I was thinking about:
Supersix evo : Will i loose some aero benefits, or are they too small to notice? As far as i can tell a much stiffer frame.
Giant Propel: Nice aero frame, but I dont like the brakes.
New Cervelo S2/S3: They have more tire clerance, but is it enough of a change to feel new?
Avenger R8: Looks good, but a bit heavy (looks like the same weight as my ols S2)
A colnage C59/60 would be my dream but out of my price range unfortunately :(

Any other frames out there I sould be looking at withe these priotities?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

New S2/S3 is very nice. Would fit you slightly better too.
But if you like a flat top tube - BMC TMR02? Though it's limited to 25s too.
Fuji Transonic is a flattish top tube - quite an underrated bike (had a chance to ride one in Norway) and fits 28s

Supersix not a good choice if you care about aero. I expect the anti aero brigade will be here shortly to argue this.

Fiery

by Fiery

Canyon Aeroad also has a flattish top tube and should fit 28s.

alpinestar

by alpinestar

Thanks for the different recomendations...
The Fuji Transonic looks very interesting, currently looking into that. Are there different versions of the frameset? I found a 2.7 on ebay thats going for a good price, then I was thinking of moving all my parts on to that.
BTW can anyone spot if this Cervelo S5 was genuine? Seems like someone got a fantastic deal if it is.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CERVELO-S5-FR ... true&rt=nc

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

The Aerorad is good looking imo, but if aero is the primary concern just buy whichever bike fits you best. Maintaining a long and low position will more than cancel out any tube profile's aero benefits. The S3 should give a good mix of qualities, and of your options, weight wise the Supersix wins (this is ww) and you get a nice aggressive position.
Last edited by 4ibanez on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Multebear

by Multebear

4ibanez wrote:The Aerorad is good looking imo, but if aero is the primary concern just buy whichever bike fits you best. Maintaining a long and low position will more than cancel out any tube profile's aero benefits. I'm on a Supersix and that's my view fwiw.

Why choose between low/aero position and aero frame. I would prefer both.

Regarding the Supersix, just make sure, that the one you might choose has enough chainstay clearence with 25 tires. I have two Supersix frames. Oddly the 2012 model fits 25 mm tires, but the 2014 model doesn't Should be the other way around.... Besides that, I love the Supersix. Very stiff, light, aggressive and very compliant. I've heard some rumors amongst the pro's, that they prefer the old Supersix to the new one. The narrower tubes on the new one offers less stiffness and less compliance.

Don't buy the Propel. The brakes are a PITA.

Aeroad is a good suggestion. And the Cervelo S5 might be worth a look as well. The S5 is very aggressive and very aero as well.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Yep, the S5 would be the no compromise aero road frame. Apparently it's uncomfortable to ride though.

TeslaOsiris

by TeslaOsiris

A lot of the newer aero frames can fit 28c tires, which frankly once you ride...you'll never want to go back to anything less. Felt ARs or Scott Foils I know for a fact will fit 28c tires in their frames. They also more than make up for any weight 'penalty' due in part to their increased ride quality...you won't bounce over bumps, you'll roll over them.

Also, from my experience, stay away from frames with integrated brakes. They are a real pain to live with on a day-to-day basis.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

4ibanez wrote:Yep, the S5 would be the no compromise aero road frame. Apparently it's uncomfortable to ride though.

To be honest after coming from a S3 to the new S5 I haven't noticed a comfort difference at all. The other good thing is that the S5 happily fits 28s. My S3 never really played nice with 25s

Also out of all the other aero models the S5 was my pick due to it's ease of set up an use. It runs a standard stem/bar set up, and it uses normal brakes. I'm running etap, but if you run mechanical, it's one of the easiest frames I've ever had to route internally.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Bit off the main topic, but what rims are you running with 28c tyres? They would have to be pretty wide to prevent the 28c tyre sitting all bulbous on the top of the rim...