Today in things that suck

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

The dog did it. Look at that face. Looks at those ears! Guilty conscience... :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Send it to Parlee. It may well have just been a stress riser, and they might hook you up with paint...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

At least you don't have to blame the kids, because that wasn't caused by being knocked over. A fall is not going to snap a 7075 alloy tab as thick as the one one on the post. That's a failure that happens from stress, often attributed to stress corrosion, which is a possibility since you're based in the bay area. It's not the first time we've seen it on an aluminum post and it's not exclusive to Tune or the cappy (though we have seen it once or twice exactly like this on a cappy). It would have just been sitting there all nice and quiet one minute and then a loud pop and the saddle falls off. It was asked if you were going to replace it with the same thing, and regardless of intent the answer is no as Tune discontinued the Cappy a couple of years ago. The best replacement we've found is the Woodman that was shown, dimensionally and weight wise it's very similar to the Cappy.

KWalker

by KWalker

Tune stuff seems to have lots of issues. Seen probably 2 dozen broken seat collars over the years, stem faceplate crack, the old hubs used to creak, and the carbon MTB bars crack on the ends just by thinking about them. Seems part for the course. Carbon-Ti, on the other hand, seems to offer products around the same weight but that don't fail.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

kode54

by kode54

kfreytag wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:Please don't tell me you will get an identical cap to replace the broken one. There has to be a better alternative. I think this is a design problem and not a user problem.

Well, there's where I'm in kind of a pickle. The bike was made to fit that topper. It actually slides on (fully-seated) to exactly my saddle height with an Arione 00. Anything else and that unbroken red ISP is gonna be, well, broken by a ring of raw carbon.

I know, I know, but I had it built this way in part because I like the aesthetics.

I *could* cut the ISP and go to a "normal" seatpost...

j had a topper made from MCFK to spec. light and better than the bulky IF one that came with the Factory Lightweight.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kfreytag

by kfreytag

pdlpsher1 wrote:Check out this clamp. It has an interesting red insert that perhaps reduces the stress at the bolt. I have some Woodman components and their quality is top notch.

That Woodman looks nice, and their stuff, in general, seems very well-made.

wingguy wrote:The dog did it. Look at that face. Looks at those ears! Guilty conscience... :wink:

She's impressive. Monitors everyone in the house and, when she's confident no one is looking, silently sneaks into the kitchen to counter surf.

madcow wrote:It's not the first time we've seen it on an aluminum post and it's not exclusive to Tune or the cappy (though we have seen it once or twice exactly like this on a cappy).

Thanks, madcow. That adds credence to my suspicions.

KWalker wrote:Tune stuff seems to have lots of issues. Seen probably 2 dozen broken seat collars over the years, stem faceplate crack, the old hubs used to creak, and the carbon MTB bars crack on the ends just by thinking about them. Seems part for the course. Carbon-Ti, on the other hand, seems to offer products around the same weight but that don't fail.

Hey, @KWalker. You still riding a Hi-Mod? Carbon-Ti does, in fact, make some great stuff. They don't have good distribution in the US, but I've been running their (really light) skewers for 7 years without issue. Thought about building up some wheels around their hubs. Haven't yet looked at toppers from them...

kode54 wrote:I had a topper made from MCFK to spec. light and better than the bulky IF one that came with the Factory Lightweight.

Now *there's* a fantastic idea. MCFK makes great stuff. I only have a topcap from them on this bike, but I've been impressed with their quality on other parts.

Thanks, all, for the input. Huge help.
Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Carbon-ti doesn't make a topper. We've been importing their stuff for the last couple of months and are starting to get a pretty good stock on hand for a lot of it.

Also Mcfk phased the topper out of their lineup. They may do a custom, but generally it's not something they offer anymore.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

My wife would capitalize on this opportunity to use her solution to anything that breaks: super glue. :mrgreen:

Looks like a crummy design to me, but I sure like how that red seatpost blends with the frame and stem. Good luck trying to replicate that. Hope the stem doesn't suffer from a similar design flaw!
Last edited by Asteroid on Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldbie

kfreytag

by kfreytag

Asteroid wrote:My wife would capitalize on this opportunity to use her solution to anything that breaks: super glue. :mrgreen:

That's usually my go-to solution. That, or duct tape.

Asteroid wrote:Looks like a crummy design to me, but I sure how that red seatpost blends with the frame and stem. Good luck trying to replicate that. Hope the stem doesn't suffer from a similar design flaw!

Yeah, it is a crummy design. It lasted for almost exactly three years.

The stem, on the other hand, is an ENVE. It's heavy, but I expect it to last forever.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

kfreytag

by kfreytag

madcow wrote:Carbon-ti doesn't make a topper. We've been importing their stuff for the last couple of months and are starting to get a pretty good stock on hand for a lot of it.

Good to hear! They really needed some US representation.

madcow wrote:Also Mcfk phased the topper out of their lineup. They may do a custom, but generally it's not something they offer anymore.

Bummer. Well, perhaps they'll do it custom or perhaps it's something that Berk could take on.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

KWalker

by KWalker

Oh no, many bikes since the Hi Mod! On an S-Works Tarmac, but I ride my MTB far more these days.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

kfreytag

by kfreytag

KWalker wrote:Oh no, many bikes since the Hi Mod! On an S-Works Tarmac, but I ride my MTB far more these days.

Nice Yeti. I haven't become a dirt convert yet, but did do some downhill in Breck this summer and finally figured out why people love mtn biking.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

KWalker

by KWalker

I can show ya some local trails that might change that!

Yeti was a dream-in-the-works for a good two decades, not sure how I can top it.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

wojchiech

by wojchiech

grind down that bolt guide on the mast (and the rear for that matter if you've already got your dremel out), drill a hole through the post below that lower cradle inset and use a bolt yoke insert similar to what's on some two bolt zero setback posts. You might have to use longer bolts but you wouldn't have to bin the whole part. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Where was the little broken off piece when you entered the room?

Is it consistent with the theory?