Scott foil '16

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

banik69

by banik69

After much thought I think that an aero frame will replace my old, so I want yours opinion about Scott foil 2016 aero.....

Geometry, issues, any problems, flat, ascend, descend, anything.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

Can't really give my own subjective experience but from tests, the Foil appears to be a fantastic bike. Especially on Tour magazine's test against other aero bikes, it performs brilliantly and was the winner in one category as well.

sethjs

by sethjs

I think RyanH was using one for his Chung Method aero testing and didn't like it. Search for the thread where he was doing a bunch of aero testing in LA

droid1973

by droid1973

Demo'ed one extensively for over 60 days. Purchased a frame set and just completed the build. Fantastic machine. If you have the means purchase it! Mine is built around Etap, a Quarq, and Enve 7.8's.
J

stormur

by stormur

Geometry is OK-ish for "racing bike" - reach is quiet long, stack rather low. Not extreme by any mean, just "comfort" absolutely wasn't under consideration. BB is LOW. That make generally bike low. Good for aero. Nice paintjob. Nice& neat cable routing.

Only "issue" is rear brake. And it's not about where it is, it's about how much it shows over chainstay. Not every crank will have any clearance (NDS). Shimano does. But forget about crankarm placed powermeter.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

If I could have any frameset that would be it. Is there a better combo of weight and aero?

banik69

by banik69

Really thanks guys I thing that will be my next frame.

Everything I this that goes aero, after my slr01 this is the change I want

Delorre

by Delorre

stormur wrote:Only "issue" is rear brake. And it's not about where it is, it's about how much it shows over chainstay. Not every crank will have any clearance (NDS). Shimano does. But forget about crankarm placed powermeter.

Experience differ between different users over this board : some have issue with brake rub, others totally not. As with brake - crank clearance, a set of EE brake seems to solve that, as they build narrower compared to the DA brakes.

Would really like to demo one, as my current Addict (same geo) is a blast to ride fast, on flas as well as in the hills. The Foil should again be a little better for bombing on the flats. Not sure about it's climbing ability, being an aero bike, and not a climbers bike as is the Addict.

banik69

by banik69

So I deal with foil for Christmas hahaha.

After 10-15 days will be in the house with me.
I will set the frame with ultegra 11s rotor3d-p2m crank for start, I need direct mount brakes, ultegra will be ok ???

Fiery

by Fiery

stormur wrote:Geometry is OK-ish for "racing bike" - reach is quiet long, stack rather low. Not extreme by any mean, just "comfort" absolutely wasn't under consideration. BB is LOW. That make generally bike low. Good for aero. Nice paintjob. Nice& neat cable routing.

Only "issue" is rear brake. And it's not about where it is, it's about how much it shows over chainstay. Not every crank will have any clearance (NDS). Shimano does. But forget about crankarm placed powermeter.

I see 67 mm BB drop on the geometry chart, so if anything the BB is a bit high.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

stormur wrote:Only "issue" is rear brake. And it's not about where it is, it's about how much it shows over chainstay. Not every crank will have any clearance (NDS). Shimano does. But forget about crankarm placed powermeter.

As said, EE solves the problem (not the cheapest way, of course).
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

banik69

by banik69

So it works with 6810 ultegra direct brakes ?
Always with 3D/p2m crank...

banik69

by banik69

banik69 wrote:So it works with 6810 ultegra direct brakes ?
Always with 3D/p2m crank...

Anyone knows ? Before order....
I think that some models have already 6810 brakes

stormur

by stormur

Fiery wrote:I see 67 mm BB drop on the geometry chart, so if anything the BB is a bit high.

I wasn't precise enough ;) : Bottom bracket height is low ( not even one word about bb drop ! ) Overall bike feels "low" and measurements shows clearly ( 2 bikes side to side ) it is noticeably lower than Ridley Helium SL.

Bike I know has Ultegra rear brake. I didn't research it, but I believe it must be other options which are more neat. Those I know leave 2-3mm of clearance to crankarm on NDS ( 6800 52-36 ) , frame size "L" , Scott Foil 20.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fiery

by Fiery

Bottom bracket height and bottom bracket drop are two sides of the same coin, they are directly correlated. I'm not surprised you found it to be lower on the Foil than on the Ridley though, since Ridley bikes have among the highest bottom brackets available in mass-production (just 63 mm BB drop on sizes L and above). However, the norm for road bikes is in the 68-70 mm range, and it's the Ridley that's unusually high, not the Foil that's unusually low.