New Pro Vibe stem (+bars) with complete resign for aerodynamic.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

Hi,

I have been looking at Pro website and noticed that they quietly updated their Vibe range. But the stem is what keep me excited. They redesigned the vibe for aerodynamics with rear facing bolts and less frontal area. Plus, it will be available in -17 degrees now. However, I haven't seen it anywhere, not even on Sagan's newest bikes (which are now using Pro's components). Anyone has any more info about the new Vibe or any idea on when will it be available?

http://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/en-gb/road/stems/PRO_SS_VIBE

Cheers,
Chanon

wingguy

by wingguy

I've used the Ritchey mtb stems with backwards facing bolts and they were a pain in the arse. The ones on the Pro Vibe look even more difficult to get to. Ok with a J-bend, but good luck if you ever need to adjust something on the road with a multi tool.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

wingguy wrote:I've used the Ritchey mtb stems with backwards facing bolts and they were a pain in the arse. The ones on the Pro Vibe look even more difficult to get to. Ok with a J-bend, but good luck if you ever need to adjust something on the road with a multi tool.

I can imagine how frustrating it can be adjusting it on the road using a multitool.

corky

by corky

No likey proprietary topcap

jeffy

by jeffy

Anyone any idea what di2 integration means (other than the obvious)

Wookski

by Wookski

CPongpanich wrote:
wingguy wrote:I've used the Ritchey mtb stems with backwards facing bolts and they were a pain in the arse. The ones on the Pro Vibe look even more difficult to get to. Ok with a J-bend, but good luck if you ever need to adjust something on the road with a multi tool.

I can imagine how frustrating it can be adjusting it on the road using a multitool.

How often are you adjusting your stems on the road? I make sure all bolts are regularly checked for torque as part of my bikes' maintenance routines. No way am I going near lightweight components with a multi tool!

Wookski

by Wookski

BTW- that stem is ugly as sin and any aero qualities are probably countered by the stupid "V" on the faceplate. Seriously who designs this garbage?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

jeffy wrote:Anyone any idea what di2 integration means (other than the obvious)

Looks like there's a couple notches/grooves that would allow a wire to go through the stem internally instead of externally. So, just helps to clean things up a bit, a step towards removing the rats nest of harness/wires/junction box that finds its main home underneath the stem in the usual installs.

Not liking the new design versus the old design. And as far as "less frontal area" goes.... I don't think so... not even sure how they come to that conclusion as I sit here looking at the front of the previous design in my hands. I was quite liking that "puzzle clamp" system in the prior design. Very nice and clean I thought. Seems to work well. Think it looks much better than the new design.

And that proprietary triangular top cap... me no likey either.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

eric01

by eric01

Looks cool. "From 125g" looks a little porky though. But I like the looks.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

F45

by F45

corky wrote:No likey proprietary topcap

I'm using their Tharsis Di2 XC stem on my mountain bike. It comes with a special topcap, but you can use a normal topcap too no problem. That is good, because otherwise you have to cut the steerer to eeeeeexactly the right length, which then pretty much makes it specific to that stem forever. :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

F45 wrote:
corky wrote:No likey proprietary topcap

I'm using their Tharsis Di2 XC stem on my mountain bike. It comes with a special topcap, but you can use a normal topcap too no problem. That is good, because otherwise you have to cut the steerer to eeeeeexactly the right length, which then pretty much makes it specific to that stem forever. :roll:

Thanks for the info on proprietary topcap as it worries me a bit that I'll have to either cut more of my steerer or move my stem up 3mm. in order for it to be on top.