Boa dials on shoes.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sethjs

by sethjs

I don't think it's about BOA, per se, but rather how they're deployed.

My first experience with BOA was on the sworks 6. Disaster. Could only get either too tight and blood restricting / tingle enducing annoyance or too loose / sloppy.

Just switched to Shimano S-Phyre 9. Also BOA. Fantastic fit. Absolutely no pressure points. Tight enough, etc.

On the sworks, the BOAs route 90 degrees to the veins on top of your foot, and also right over the top of your foot where the veins are most exposed. On the Shimanos, the BOAs are off to the side and it's a fabric flap over the top of the foot that acts as the retention at the top.

The leaked images of the next sworks seem to show Specialized is moving in Shimano's direction. I think Northwave, with their latest shoes, did something similar to what Shimano's done.

Net: it's how they're deployed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

em3

by em3

sethjs wrote:The leaked images of the next sworks seem to show Specialized is moving in Shimano's direction. I.

source, please?

spartan

by spartan

toiyuet wrote:I' ve been using Sidi Wire for 2.5 years, just moved to the Shot.
I hate Shot more when walking.
BUT riding with Shot likes butter smooth.

what is the weight of the new shot vs the wire? same fit?
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

icenutter

by icenutter

sethjs wrote:I don't think it's about BOA, per se, but rather how they're deployed.

I'll second that. I have had plenty of shoes with laces that were uncomfortable, but don't want BOAs on all my shoes.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

spartan wrote:
what is the weight of the new shot vs the wire? same fit?

16 g difference per shoe if I remember correct from weighing them when new (both size 41.5). Can weigh them again to verify if you are interested. Fit is more or less the same. Haven't been able to try them in the wild yet, so can't comment on how they differ (if any) in real use. Love the yellow GITD of my Shots though!

1415chris

by 1415chris

I've had them, Shots, for few days at home, almost three years on Wires. The fit is the same. I posted weights of Shots, different colours and sizes, in Bont's thread.