Boa dials on shoes.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Bought some nice Sidi's (the new ones with the boas on the top) and they are my first Boa fitted shoes and could not get on with them. I could feel the pressure from the wires on the top of my foot. I do have Sidi's with the traditional buckle and strap that cause me no problem, and some Northwave's with strap only. Now I am just wondering if Boa's are not for me and I should stick to strap or maybe try laces - is it just me who finds the Boa system uncomfortable?

3Pio

by 3Pio

I have Specialized S-Works 2014 shoes with 2 Boa Dials.The most comfortable system i had until now.It let me to adjust the pressure on the shoes while im riding without need to stop.Also this summer i spend some time in Italy and had a chance to buy Sidi Wire for nice price.But they just did not worked for me and my feet

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toiyuet

by toiyuet

I' ve been using Sidi Wire for 2.5 years, just moved to the Shot.
I hate Shot more when walking.
BUT riding with Shot likes butter smooth.
Attachments
15631215_568017836725077_270363881_o.jpg

1415chris

by 1415chris

Just to clarify, Sidi's locking system it is not Boa. It's their specific system.
Are you sure the pressure you feel comes from the wires themselves? The wires run over the top of the tongue. I had them, Shots, on my feet for a while (internet order) and they feel more less the same as Wire, meaning very good and comfy. The locking system is a bit overdone, imo, dials are quite hard to operate when you want tighten them harder. I could get tighter fit with Wires than Shots, or could get tighter fit using less force on dials.
I have got other shoes with Boa system and find it easier and quicker than what is used on Wires and Shots.
Last edited by 1415chris on Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kgt

by kgt

The Boa system is great, the best in comparison to other systems. IMO the idea of the Sidi designers to put the boa dial on top of the tongue is just a bad idea.
I had (and still have) boa shoes since early 2000, including Sidi. Never had a problem.

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

It was just my first experience of using a wire locking type of system. I was wondering if the fit issue was maybe my foot shape, or rather just a problem with that particular shoe and it might be worth giving another make a go. I just felt by the time I cranked up the dials tight enough to get a good retention of my foot they where VERY tight and I started to get pin and needles in one foot and after taking them off I could still feel pressure along the top of my foot for quite a while afterwards. General fit of the shoe was fine.

mattr

by mattr

General fit obviously isn't that good if you have to crank them down that tight to get good retention.
I basically snug the cables then add two clicks and that's me done for the day.

You've also got to remember there is no give in the system. So tight when you are sitting down at home getting ready to leave is way way too tight once you're 20km from home half way up a mountain.

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

OK, I was wondering if it was the dial system per say or that actually the fit was poor

mattr

by mattr

It might also be laces/straps mentality. As you have to crank on them as there is quite a bit of give in the system.

My wife made the same mistake going from laces to boa on her snowboard boots. Complaining of bad fit despite them being thermal molded and the same basic last as her previous boots. Just needed a few less clicks and bingo. (Lot more padding in a snowboard boot than a sidi race shoe!)

mattr

by mattr

And the other adjustment I play with is the heel retention thing. That's what has let me down in the past with some brands. (Other than all spesh shoes. According to my feet, the worst shoes on the market.)

GambadiLegno

by GambadiLegno

Personally I don't like BOA system. I'm noy saying it isn't good enough, probably is the best locking system nowadays, I don't know. But, in my case I had to switch from a pair of Diadora Vortex to a Giro Factor ACC with straps. Despite being my size, I couldn't find a comfortable adjustment with BOA Diadora's system, which finally ended in a tendinitis.

On the other hand, I've had a pair of Sidi Ergo 3 with its own system, and at least for me, it worked much better than BOA. Although shoes industry is selling us BOA system as the best ever (except some brands as Giro), it doesn't work for everyone.

Flasher

by Flasher

S-Works Boa user, they're just the best for on the fly adjustment, really comfy but then that's down to the shoes rather than the closure system.

Rick

by Rick

I put tongue pads on the tongues of my S-works with BOA, but that is because the tongue material is thin, and I do the same with laces.
I have a high arch and that area always feel the pressure. But I absolutely love BOAs.

wingguy

by wingguy

kgt wrote:IMO the idea of the Sidi designers to put the boa dial on top of the tongue is just a bad idea.

What do you think is wrong with it? (Apart from looking strange, obvs!)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaReef

by DaReef

I have a pair of lakes with one Boa dial. The lack of adjustments makes them uncomfortable on very long rides (100 miles). Have been using lace ups and like them.