Power2Max NG. Where is the Shimano four bolt version at?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I notice that Power2Max now has the NG for sale on their website. But I don't see the four bolt model for Shimano 9000/6800 cranks. Are they on backorder or something?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr4fox

by mr4fox

It was available in their "Full Sprint" promo...I ordered one a couple weeks ago

For that promo you had to buy an S-type and then got the NG for 299euro.

savechief

by savechief

To be clear, the NG does not offer full Shimano crankset capability. You can use the Shimano 4-bolt chainrings, but have to use non-Shimano crank arms.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/09/pow ... eters.html
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

sun

by sun

If you go to the drop down for version on this link, you will see an option for 110mm Shimano 4 hole.

http://www.power2max.com/northamerica/p ... wer-meter/

It will use an FSA crank arm.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Sorry if I caused any confusion. I see I may have missed understood the OP's question. But yeah as stated above, the shimano 4 bolt version doesn't use shimano cranks. It can use shimano 6800/9000 4 bolt chain rings though.

It can mount to either an FSA or Rotor crank set. At least I hope I interpreted that correctly cuz I ordered it with rotors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salesguy

by salesguy

I use the Quarq powermeter (not power2max) that uses the 4-bolt DA chainrings. It shifts perfectly, far superior to my s-works powermeter setup.

I would not hesitate to get this setup for a shimano bike (especially a Di2 bike)

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

I am so ready to get the NG for Cannondale SiSL2, in 4 bolt Shimano version, then use 9100 chainrings. God that will be perfect.

benzebub

by benzebub

I don't think 9100 chainrings will be compatible (due to the asymetrical design of the 9100 crank)

I've ordered the NG with 4 bolt design and rotor 3D+ cranks and am currently waiting on it to arrive.
But I could be wrong

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I'm kind of torn between the Power2Max NG and the Quarq D-Four.

With the Power2Max NG I would need the power meter spider itself, new DA 9000 rings (I currently have some on my bike, but they are probably due to be replaced), and crank arms (either FSA or Rotor). Would I also need a new bottom bracket with the Power2Max?

With the Quarq I would need new rings, and a bottom bracket (BB86/GXP I'm guessing).

I like the NG's stated accuracy, but I don't like the 'frankenstein' approach of having a power meter by one manufacturer, crank arms by another, and rings by a third manufacturer.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

I totally get not liking the mismatched approach. Personally I think the rotor cranks and a P2M look really cool. Guess it depends on the bike though.
I suspect the rotor cranks won't weigh much more, if any, than my DA9000 cranks so I'll be happy to use them. They're Also good if you want to use other chain rings. Oval rings, or just cheaper (than DA) round rings. For example P2M offer praxis chain rings for sale with the power meters and cranks.

Rotor cranks will use the same BB as shimano DA cranks as long as you get the 24mm axle version. (The 3D24 version, not the 3D+ version which is is bb30)

Does the quark do both ant+ and Bluetooth? That's a bonus if you ever want to connect to zwift on an iPad/iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

benzebub wrote:I don't think 9100 chainrings will be compatible (due to the asymetrical design of the 9100 crank)

I've ordered the NG with 4 bolt design and rotor 3D+ cranks and am currently waiting on it to arrive.

Are the 9100 rings different in config to the 9000 rings then?
jspaceman wrote:I like the NG's stated accuracy, but I don't like the 'frankenstein' approach of having a power meter by one manufacturer, crank arms by another, and rings by a third manufacturer.

LOL, well that rules out anything other than Dura Ace 9100 power meter cranks then, really...

reknop

by reknop

jspaceman wrote:I'm kind of torn between the Power2Max NG and the Quarq D-Four.

With the Power2Max NG I would need the power meter spider itself, new DA 9000 rings (I currently have some on my bike, but they are probably due to be replaced), and crank arms (either FSA or Rotor). Would I also need a new bottom bracket with the Power2Max?

With the Quarq I would need new rings, and a bottom bracket (BB86/GXP I'm guessing).

I like the NG's stated accuracy, but I don't like the 'frankenstein' approach of having a power meter by one manufacturer, crank arms by another, and rings by a third manufacturer.

In the Canyon love thread there is a cool Canyon Aeroad with the Quarq Elsa power meter (predecessor of the D-Four). viewtopic.php?p=1269277#p1269277

I asked Power 2 Max a little while ago if the power2max Type S FSA Gossamer would be available (again), just to put on my old training bike. No reply received ...

I will stick with the Pioneer Pedaling Monitor system, since it gives me HD power data. Waiting for some more local information on the Dura Ace 9100 versions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

jspaceman wrote:I'm kind of torn between the Power2Max NG and the Quarq D-Four.

I'm with the others and agree, the Rotor arms look pretty damn good. And no issue with third party rings.

Mate a few months back was tossing up P2M or Quarq. Went a new Quarq. Riding yesterday, telling me it (the Quarq) is not working - for the second time. I like SRAM and a lot of what they do, but the incidents of Quarqs failing to P2M isn't even close.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

I have still not had any issues with my Type S, at all.

It works perfectly every single time.

I have about 10,000km on it now, and am only half way through my second battery as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr4fox

by mr4fox

My shimano 4bolt NG is finally on its way!!! should arrive in the next few days :mrgreen:

to P2M's credit i recieved a 50euro gift voucher along with an apologetic letter in the post a few weeks ago saying that it was delayed again due to over damand. but i guess theyre catching up on the work load. i hope its as stable and solid as the S-type on the 29er.