One of Those Campagnolo Riddles We All Love

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I remember this being asked before ... my apologies.

Re: Athena 11 speed TRIPLE Ergolevers and FD.

When I open up the boxes to these above two items there is a warning notice under each lid saying:-

In order to achieve the best shifting performance, we recommend assembling the Ergopower and front derailleur marked, indifferently, by one of the logos shown here.

Two 'Athena 11' logos are then shown, one black on white and the other white on black.

WTF?

I thought Athena 11 TRIPLE was Athena 11 TRIPLE. No compatibility issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

One of the Campy quirks has been their consistently poor translations into English. It's been going on forever and one can only conclude that they just don't care.

I agree with you that there's only one triple FD, and can only think that they are trying to say that the triple shifter and specific FD should be used together.

The current catalog online does not show an Athena triple. Was it discontinued?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

bikerjulio, Athena is still in the catalogue but only in Triple form. It looks like double has been discontinued.

I find the instructions endearing. It's just the Italian way of doing things.

Regarding the original query isn't just a long winded way of telling you to use Athena triple levers with an Athena triple FD?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I see it now. At the bottom of the Athena page as an "accessory". :roll: I missed it at first look. If you are correct about the not unexpected discontinuance of Athena double then they need to update the website.

http://www.campagnolo.com/CA/en/Mechanical_Groupsets/athena/road
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Thought you meant the downloadable catalogue. I guess because it's still 2016 (just) that Athena double is still current. I'm sure it'll be updated shortly, that's "Italian shortly" btw.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Valbrona wrote:I remember this being asked before ... my apologies.

Re: Athena 11 speed TRIPLE Ergolevers and FD.

When I open up the boxes to these above two items there is a warning notice under each lid saying:-

In order to achieve the best shifting performance, we recommend assembling the Ergopower and front derailleur marked, indifferently, by one of the logos shown here.

Two 'Athena 11' logos are then shown, one black on white and the other white on black.

WTF?

I thought Athena 11 TRIPLE was Athena 11 TRIPLE. No compatibility issues.

One is intended to show the logo as it appears on Athena silver, the other as it shows on Athena black ...
There is only one mechanical specification for Athena triple FD.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

5 8 5 wrote:Thought you meant the downloadable catalogue. I guess because it's still 2016 (just) that Athena double is still current. I'm sure it'll be updated shortly, that's "Italian shortly" btw.

Part of the problem is the difference between "Mode Year" and "Calendar Year".
Because equipment manufacturers have to fit in with bike production, MYs tend to start in June, when first deliveries are made to OEM for models that will hit (UK shores, at least) in July. So - the first OEM deliveries of Potenza, which is classed as a 2017 product, actually left Italy in June 2016.

Athena double production (other than for warranty purposes) was actually discontinued in April 2016 to make way for MY2017 product.

However, consumers see a "2016" catalogue (and the AM catalogue is usually issued in Sept the year before) and so consider that a product will be available all the way through that calendar year.

It does cause confusion these days - go back a decade or so and it was less of an issue because most new bike launches were at the end of the Northern Hemisphere Summer, not half-way through it, and equipment production carried on later into the year.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

RussellS

by RussellS

I guess I am a bit confused by all this yipping and yapping about Campagnolo triple shift levers. I have never heard of such things. They do not exist. There are triple front derailleurs and long cage rear derailleurs. And triple cranksets. But Campagnolo has never ever produced a triple ergo lever. Shimano does of course. But Campagnolo does not produce a triple specific ergo lever. I guess you don't know this, but a Campagnolo ergo lever shifts double or triple cranks exactly the same. There are not two different ergo levers.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Yes RussellS you are confused :? :lol:

With the older levers you could use them with double or triple systems. With the introduction of the quick shift on the LH lever (big to small with a single press and click) this wouldn't work with a triple (middle ring).

The Athena levers share the same RH lever for the double or triple setups but have a different LH lever.

Valbrona

by Valbrona

And guess what?

In a sublime act of cleverness, and totally unlike Campagnolo, they even put a little logo on an Athena LH triple Ergolever to denote its triple 'status'.

I am switching from triple Record, and thought I better buy Athena before Campag stop doing triples all together. And then how would I get up the Mortirolo?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona

by Valbrona

Thinking about this a bit more ...

The older Athena 11 Ergos with the flat buttons had the old style 'Athena 11' logo, which is different from the new style Athena 11 logo on the droopy button Ergos - fuschia boxes.

Perhaps Campag are indicating there are compatibility issues, but only between Athena TRIPLE Ergos (LH only) and Athena TRIPLE FDs.

Pair the old with the old and the new with the new.